Sign in to follow this  
Twin2Win

Sat Map and L3DT Pro (How)

Well the topic summarizes the question quite well. I haven't the slightest idea on how to generate the Sat Map with L3DT Pro or a mask. After a search on google I came up with topics using Sat maps to generate Alpha maps but that is not what I'm looking for. Does anyone have a direction to lead me in here? I know the mighty Bush mentioned it in his PDF he wrote awhile back.

go to operations, attribute map then generate map makes the layer mask and texture map then generate map to make the sat map

Edited by M1lkm8n

Well damn, Thanks man! Now I have another question that I don't feel the need to make another thread about. Is thier a limit of the filesize you can import into Visitor 3 via create HF from xyz? I used Global Mapper got my data, exported it to xyz and i've been waiting over a hour for visitor to start responding again. It's running I checked a resource monitor, but who knows if it's ever going to complete. The xyz data is 7.67 GB (8,242,463,857 bytes) in size...Probably a bit too much huh?

I would say so. if I remember 4092x10 is the max in our version of visitor and even that would be pushing it. try something smaller first

Well unfortunetly GlobalMapper only lets me export 3 xyz formats for my trial, guess its time to scrap that project...

Well unfortunetly GlobalMapper only lets me export 3 xyz formats for my trial, guess its time to scrap that project...

well you can open your project in l3dt and resize and export a height map from the one you downloaded.

It's funny that you should mention that because I just got a DEM from ASTER and ordered it and loaded it into L3DT from a Geo TIFF and now im waiting the 30 minutes for the resize.. Then I get to lower the HF to simulate the surround water. I'm making the largest of the Hawaiian islands Hawai'i also known as "the Big Island" it will be about 45% smaller though 40960x40960. I've gotten Visitor to load one that size before and I'm going to try to get it to do it again.

I am using L3DT Pro a lot as well, so according to your first question, there are some other things you want to do in order to generate the Texturemap. I dont know whether you did so, so if yes...simply ignore this here:

after you finished working on your highfield, work down all the operations, beginning from the

- Watermap (which also generates the Sanity map),

- the Lightmap (which will bring the shadow map),

- the Terrain Normal map,

- then the Atributes map (which will tell the texturemap where to paint what)

- and at the End the Texturemap.

So once the texturemap is finished and you switch to the 3D Editor, you can also edit the texturemap by directly painting parts of the map as you want to. You can detail out certain beach areas and paint them in a specific beach color afterwards, or you can create forest areas or paint mountain areas. After you finished working in 3D make sure to always refresh the texturemap or even close and reload it again to become the new painted parts shown up.

According to your Highfield question:

The Highfield actually dont need the satmap size. I dont know I might be wrong, but I always load the 4096x4096 sized highfield into visitor.