Sign in to follow this  
Serged

Any good AI vehicle driver mod?

Is there any recommendable mod to improve on the driving skills of the AI? It's REALLY annoying when you try to command a tank and you need to get out of a bad situation really fast and the AI driver seems to just forward 1 meter then right, left, right, left, reverse, forward etc, all while basically staying at the same place. You probably know what I mean if you have experienced the AI driver :)

It's also annoying if you're the gunner as this constant change of direction messes up aim.

The way I cope is to constantly switch between driver and gunner positions. It is annoying, but yeah, the AI driving lacks a lot. I usually drive before and after engagements, keeping the vehicle in the safer positions relative to terrain. If the gunner or commander spot something great, even better if they start shooting. But once we get contact, I often switch to gunner position. I find that many times simply hitting reverse . . . halt . . . left . . . halt . . . reverse . . . halt, etc. is enough motion to cause missile soldiers to pause and not fire and keep moving to try to get a good shot.

They seem to do okay at slow to moderate driving on roads when not under fire. Also, the opponent AI is quite good at: (a) stop-starting and slightly moving its position if you are trying to hone in on agunner with a sniper rifle; (b) taking off like a bat out of hell when you start shooting. But the friendly AI: once you get in that vehicle with them, its like they're just like "Oh, human in the vehicle! That means I can just kick back and a have a beer!"

What I really love is when you are driver and you pull up and here is a big crowd of enemy and your gunner has "Open Fire" set. You hear your gunner report "Man, 12 o'clock, 100 meters." and then watch as he points his turret toward 6 o'clock, then slowly swivels to 8, then back to 5, then quickly back to 9 . . . meanwhile, the enemy soldiers are reacting, starting to run, duck, paste your car with fire, the missile soldiers are whipping out the rockets . . . They're not always like that, sometimes they'll start opening fire before they even report or you know what is there, but its just classic when they do the detailed report and then nothing on the shooting.

To be honest that's also what I did, switching between driver and gunner position. But the problem of maneuvering during a battle still persists, when you are in the gunner position. Most of the time you have to react very quickly and there is no time to switch seats back and forth. If I tell my driver to forward fast, I want him to forward fast no matter what, but the AI driver persists to do some weird maneuvering, basically wasting a lot of important time, leaving the tank at a vulnerable position and messing up my aim or possibly letting a target get out of my (the gunner's) view.

The AI driver is pretty bad even when you give him a waypoint most of the time. He seems to not being able to decide which is the best route or how to bypass an obstacle and does this weird forward, backward, left, right etc movement all while basically staying at the same spot.

And yes, I also agree that the AI in your vehicle can be quite bad at shooting and/or acquiring targets sometimes. This is another problem, when you are the driver or commander and the gunner just does not do anything useful, all while the enemy seems to be a lot smarter, faster and deadly accurate.

And of course if you want to take the role of the commander, you have to command two useless crew members instead of only one, lol. But if you want to direct your tank without using 3rd person you basically have to use the commander slot, as the gunner and driver have a very restricted view and knowledge of the environment.

So if anyone knows some good mod to improve on AI drivers and possibly gunner, I'm still very interested in it :)

Edited by Zerged

If I were you, I'd do two things:

1. Do a search on this forum

2. Do a search on Armaholic

Some keywords you might think about: drive; driving; driver

If find no forum posts in the Mods section of this forum with that text, and none at armaholic, then chances are no one has yet done an AI driver mod. Despite its shortcomings, it is fairly functional so I wouldn't be surprised if no one worked on it. Not to mention, it must be a fairly complex part of the code.