Sign in to follow this  
xmurderx

Russian for the east, english for the west

Its my opinion that the eastern units in the game use the russian languge. It would have been neat if bis made it so that if you were on the east all the commands issued to you were in russian with the english written out like it is in green. It would have added a touch of realism as opposed to sometimes having an eastern commander sounding like a cow boy. (yeeeehaawww, yall move to aj23)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (xmurderx @ July 17 2002,07:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its my opinion that the eastern units in the game use the russian languge.<span id='postcolor'>

This was our original idea, but we had to drop it -it had shown to be too difficult. Even creating english radio (with simple english grammer) was very hard. Creating russian one would more than double required work (due to more complicated grammar of slavic languages).

ohh, thats understandable, but I have one more voice question, females. I was hoping that resistance would bring in some female voices because its been known through out ages that females have had some part in combat for resistance type movments. is there any possablity in the future that you will impliment female voices?

but suma why not getting someone from russia hehe biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vixer @ July 17 2002,11:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but suma why not getting someone from russia hehe<span id='postcolor'>

This is not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is different russian language grammar required whole structure of radio protocol must be used (many words, especially nouns, can be used in various forms, which is something that does not exist in english).

I know that Woman should enjoy equal rights as men to pop caps in peoples asses but I really dont think Womens voices are required (probably cos Im a bloke besides messing with the tones of some of them can make em sound like right girls)

But proper female voices would also require a whole new re recording which really isnt worth the large amount of time that could be spent making another great addon like resistance smile.gif

If it was done this way stupid people like myself would be lost when playing on the east side. English is the most "universal language" we have right now other than maybe the middle finger. iamwithstupid.gif

Ahh yes, Russian voices would be wonderful but there´s no point in worriyng about it now.

But, if you type in the different Russian accents for your character in the Userinfo.cfg (why can´t the accents be available trough the character edit in-game?) like Aleksei and Oleg, you will find at least Two (2!wink.gif whole voices that are never used in-game.

I had never heard these accents before even tough I have played OFP every day for 7 months.

Every voice has LOADS of things to say, so why are these voices just gathering dust while the more common voices call M163 Vulcans "M113", the AH-64 "Chopper", rockets "Weapon", churches "building" etc. etc.......

Why can´t these voices be generated randomly, they´re completely normal. (And again, why aren´t Russian voices selectable in-game!?)

This should have been addressed in the first patch confused.gif

2 Suma

We can do it easily, in fact we almost finished recording all voice commands in russian, we will finish it soon enough and then all you have to do is release it as an addon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ July 19 2002,01:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2 Suma

We can do it easily, in fact we almost finished recording all voice commands in russian, we will finish it soon enough and then all you have to do is release it as an addon.<span id='postcolor'>

In theory BIS could do that, but there´s all kinds of legal stuff involved and they do have their pride, you know. If they released your voices as an addon it would seem like they were lazy.

And to you Antichrist, the English on the Retaliation website and in the demo is LAUGHABLE! Kind of in a good way. I particularly enjoyed "I like beer..." and "Cut the talks!" and "Move your limbs!" and all the others.

The Russian has to be translated two times, first by your team and then the translation should be translated by someone who has a rudimentary grasp of the English language.

But you seem to speak (type?) English pretty good. You should write all the text in the campaign.

The Russian is cool but spoiled by the subtitles that make me laugh out loud. sad.giftounge.gif

The campaign looks great otherwise.