rickybigpants

Arma 3 Linux Version ?

I read somewhere there was to be a linux version of Arma3

I've a couple of questions on this ,is it still in the pipe and also whats the score with getting it if i have purchased the product on steam ..will there be 2 versions available to download one for windows and one for linux ?

I doubt it. I could be wrong but I don't think Bohemia have ever ported Arma over to linux. I wouldn't hold my breath.

My suggestion if you want to play, is that you do so on Windows. You could also try Wine for linux, which could work

to play the game on Linux, of course it's a gamble.

As much as I would love to have ArmA3 on Linux natively, I have to agree with Qbert. Linux would certainly help with performance, by using less system resources. However, I'm afraid we're stuck with Windoze.

Sadly, It is highly unlikely there will be a Linux version and I'm not sure where you read otherwise. Porting A3 to Linux would require the entire rendering part of the engine to be rewritten to use OpenGL instead of DirectX 11.

As much as I would love to have ArmA3 on Linux natively, I have to agree with Qbert. Linux would certainly help with performance, by using less system resources. However, I'm afraid we're stuck with Windoze.

Not necessarily. It's not just a flip of a switch to get it running on Linux natively.

There's a lot of re-writes to do and while Linux is much less hard on resources as an operating system, it doesn't mean every application written for it will automatically run better.

Linux can have a high load too if you have the right candy on it :) (same as windoof can be pretty low when you disable almost all the sauce on it)

I guess rickybigpants heard about the "linux" dedicated server version perhaps?

If I remember correctly, I read they are developing a dedicated linux server (they did also for A2 etc.), which will be available later on (perhaps also after full release)?

Taking in account the work of converting the graphics engine to support OpenGL, I don't see Arma 3 coming to linux...

It's not just the graphics engine.. XAudio2 is also windows-only. The Linux version is very very unlikely.

It's not just the graphics engine.. XAudio2 is also windows-only. The Linux version is very very unlikely.

I know that it would be very hard, but money can make miracles, except for health... The best example is Android: it's linux, and although it had success. Or Windows 8, the worse os ever after msdos 6.0. Thanks to 3 billion dollars of investments in advertising it's having success.

Or Windows 8, the worse os ever after msdos 6.0. Thanks to 3 billion dollars of investments in advertising it's having success.

That's personal opinion :) As long as you ignore the "Metro UI" - Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 (at least for me).

what you have been reading was about headless linux server bin's i guess :)

And yes those should come.

The client software will not come, but you might give it a try if you can get it to work under wine (but prolly with worse performance then native in windows)

While I can understand a GNU Linux port of ArmA III being a low priority at this time; Microsoft will be abandoning DirectX on Windows, eventually move what remains of Windows gaming to a walled Games For Windows Live garden that's everything awful about Apple and Google with none of the good. Then there's Steam's concomitant move to Linux which would make it prudent for BI to at least be taking a much more visible and serious look at alternative OS gaming platforms.

One of the Developers at Phoronix offered to port ArmA II, at no cost if I recall correctly and he has an outstanding reputation for doing exactly this sort of work. Perhaps if ArmA III has moved the BI code base forward substantially BI might feel safe enough to consider a Linux port of an older game like OFP, ArmA, or ArmA II just to get things moving... Heck, with a FOSS OS BI could fully integrate ArmA, DRM, Tools and Website in it's own custom OS fully standardizing the platform and obviating an enormous range of support costs, circumvent cheating and piracy in one fell handsome custom swoop.

What's more this last, i.e. the cost of an integrated game OS and game engine as an 'appliance' has already been defrayed by free and open projects like SuSE Studio, which would, in the long haul making developing future ArmA games not only more secure, uniform, and standardized but far less expensive then developing for Windows...

Edited by Hoak

Microsoft will be abandoning DirectX on Windows, eventually move what remains of Windows gaming to a walled Games For Windows Live garden that's everything awful about Apple and Google with none of the good.

Really? Abandoning DirectX? And how many games were released this year for GFWL? Two irrelevant games: "Ace Combat: Assault Horizon" and "Ms. Splosion Man". How did you even come to this conclusion?

Edited by simast

Really?

Yes.

Abandoning DirectX?

Yes.

And how many games were released this year for GFWL?

Statistically speaking: a statistically insignificant number... But what's coming out of MS suggests GFWL games will be the Minesweeper and Solitaire of the future, ergo the token Windows 'toys'...

How did you even come to this conclusion?

I came to no 'conclusions', the only conclusions here are yours; I just offered a recitation of what in essence are published Microsoft internal memos and PR you can explore for yourself. This isn't happening tomorrow, next week or even next year; but long range Microsoft doesn't want to support PC gaming -- and their reasoning is all over the map on this one.

The news on this started with Microsoft closing its Sim Studio (which was profitable), and a stream of other follow-on activity like sending email to DirectX/XNA MVPs informing them that they are no longer needed -- as well as leaked internal documents. Of course The Vole can change it's mind and direction at any time as has often happened.

Microsoft has even done some PR back pedaling on some of this saying that they'll continue to 'support' DirectX (like Windows XP, and Office 2000), but it appears future funding and development of DirectX and DirectX, tools has ground to halt with the dissolution of supporting DX and XNA Partners....

Edited by Hoak

Ok, I did some reading and my view is that they do not want to keep "DirectX" as a separate brand. Future DirectX will simply be part of Windows platform SDK (as GDI/etc). It has become a stable API and as AMD exec said it does not really drive the hardware (read high end card) market anymore.

As for Microsoft closing Sim studio.. do you mean the old Flight Simulator studio or the recent MS Flight dev? They were never too much interested in creating PC games themselves (that directly were competing with their Xbox game sales). The exception was niche flight sim market. But then again, why bother with the new MS Flight if you are killing PC gaming market?

Ok, I did some reading and my view is that they do not want to keep "DirectX" as a separate brand. Future DirectX will simply be part of Windows platform SDK (as GDI/etc). It has become a stable API and as AMD exec said it does not really drive the hardware (read high end card) market anymore.

Then you might want to do more reading to avoid digression into semantic bickering and acquaint yourself more fully with the facts. It warrants mention that OpenGL has been the Desktop interface compositer on Windows since NT 5.1, is now the primary 3D render path on Windows RT and Windows Phone, and Microsoft regards these as their 'future primary platforms'... DirectX will not receive any further development and will be 'depreciated', and yes, the AMD Developer (not Executive) blogs offer some interesting insight as to where Microsoft may be headed.

As for Microsoft closing Sim studio.. do you mean the old Flight Simulator studio or the recent MS Flight dev?

Yes, also called the Aces Studio before Microsoft bought them...

They were never too much interested in creating PC games themselves (that directly were competing with their Xbox game sales). The exception was niche flight sim market. But then again, why bother with the new MS Flight if you are killing PC gaming market?

And this would be a good arcation to get back on topic; many Microsoft Executives and Pundits that are well acquainted with the company, its Developers and Personal have exposited that Microsoft intends to be out of the PC platform gaming biz. Whether this is in fact the case, is some internal struggle Microsoft is trying to reconcile, or not -- is immaterial to the topic as the company is substantially a black box (or hole depending on how you look at it).

What we have seen and know is a very uneven support but cost efficacious (until now) support for gaming on the PC, with future plans to roll gaming in the Windows Store being discussed, and support for Desktop (non Modern API) gaming on DirectX being 'depreciated'...

As well, Valve is now heavily invested in and committed to an explicit Linux OS and hardware target platform and and is investing far more in the render backplane and store front then Microsoft is at this point. What's more; Valve holds hundreds of billions of dollars U.S. in game reselling agreements independent of Microsoft, or any Microsoft, Google or Apple Store Front... This does not bode well long term for any Developer that is exclusively developing for, dependent on, or committed to the Microsoft DirectX API (and uses XNA components for Audio).

I have already qualified (more then once) this is not an immediate issue or 'threat', but outcomes of long term market strategies that have been in place in part for over a decade that will prevail... Wouldn't you rather see ArmA V on it's own integrated 'Sprocket Linux', costing 20% less then it would if it was to sell in the Windows Store or on Steam? How about if ot included more open tools then we currently even dream of, and the opportunity for the Community to improve them and build even more? Heck, I'd be willing to pay MORE for that!

:)

Edited by Hoak

It warrants mention that OpenGL has been the Desktop interface compositer on Windows since NT 5.1

Are you serious? You are saying that OpenGL is used as graphics backend on current Windows 7/8 systems? To my knowledge - they are using a combo of software GDI and hardware accelerated Direct2D (which is part of DirectX).

is now the primary 3D render path on Windows RT and Windows Phone, and Microsoft regards these as their 'future primary platforms'...

And I take that's why OpenGL is listed under "Legacy Graphics" on MSDN?

DirectX will not receive any further development and will be 'depreciated', and yes, the AMD Developer (not Executive) blogs offer some excellent insight as to where Microsoft may be headed.

I am sorry, I just don't buy it. Remember when the .NET was new and a hot thing? Everyone said the next Windows version will be 100% .NET based and you should drop your C/C++ skills right now and jump the ship. Never happened.

Wouldn't you rather see ArmA V on it's own integrated 'Sprocket Linux', costing 20% less then it would if it was to sell in the Windows Store or on Steam?

Just no.. I would not want Arma to ship with it's own linux distro.

How about if ot included more open tools then we currently even dream of, and the opportunity for the Community to improve them and build even more? Heck, I'd be willing to pay MORE for that!

Open tools? The fact all Arma tools are closed source have nothing to do with Windows or Linux.

Edited by simast

Are you serious? You are saying that OpenGL is used as graphics backend on current Windows 7/8 systems? To my knowledge - they are using a combo of software GDI and hardware accelerated Direct2D (which is part of DirectX).

No, I'm not 'saying' it, and it's not a recitiation that requires seriousness or humor: it's a fact: Windows XP, 7, 8, and 8.1 (Windows NT 5.1 - 6.2) themes and all compositing effects are exclusively OpenGL...

I am sorry, I just don't buy it. Remember when the .NET was new and a hot thing? Everyone said the next Windows version will be 100% .NET based and you should drop your C/C++ skills right now and jump the ship. Never happened.

It won't matter if you're sorry, buy it or don't -- and it's not a matter of what 'everyone' says, it's a matter of what Microsoft does...

Just no.. I would not want Arma to ship with it's own linux distro.

Why not?

Open tools? The fact all Arma tools are closed source have nothing to do with Windows or Linux.

Incorrect, first, all ArmA tools are not closed source -- there are many Community developed tools that are open. Second, while it's obviously possible for a Developer (Community or Commercial) to offer open tools on Windows, there is a lot that facilitates this on a FOSS OS that makes it safer, easier and less expensive...

You are of course entitled to your opinions, preferences and beliefs -- these don't however change the fact that there is a lot that suggests that days of the Windows OS as the preeminent desktop gaming OS may be numbered -- even according to Microsoft...

:j:

No, I'm not 'saying' it, and it's not a recitiation that requires seriousness or humor: it's a fact: Windows XP, 7, 8, and 8.1 (Windows NT 5.1 - 6.2) themes and all compositing effects are exclusively OpenGL...

I would love to be proved wrong.. but this is IMHO just blasphemy. Do you even have a single source? A link please?

By the way... Windows Phone doesn't even support OpenGL (not even OpenGL ES).. Neither does Windows RT/Metro.

Why not?

Because the last thing I want to do is to boot another OS to play a video game.

Incorrect, first, all ArmA tools are not closed source -- there are many Community developed tools that are open. Second, while it's obviously possible for a Developer (Community or Commercial) to offer open tools on Windows, there is a lot that facilitates this on a FOSS OS that makes it safer, easier and less expensive...

If you wrote this in the year of 2000 - I would take you seriously.. What is the best IDE in the world? Ask any developer. That would be Microsoft Visual Studio. It's actually free (the Express editions). I fail to see how Linux as a FOSS OS facilitates open source development more.. Did Valve just open sourced their Left 2 Dead 2 and Portal 2 tools and/or other code? Did I miss that on the news?

You are of course entitled to your opinions, preferences and beliefs -- these don't however change the fact that there is a lot that suggests that days of the Windows OS as the preeminent desktop gaming OS may be numbered -- even according to Microsoft...

Of course..

What is the best IDE in the world? Ask any developer. That would be Microsoft Visual Studio. It's actually free (the Express editions).

Citation_needed.jpg

I would love to be proved wrong.. but this is IMHO just blasphemy. Do you even have a single source? A link please?

Now you're just trolling, I've made three attempts to take this back on topic, and you've conspicously made zero effort at doing any material diligence. You are however right, for you this is tantamount to religious belief and anything especially facts like the Earth orbiting the Sun will be blasphemy. But make some mental effort to do your own diligence, learn to search Microsoft Technet and and MSDN, you'll learn that the Windows Aero compositer uses OpenGL and (shockingly) can confer as much as a 50% performance hit to OpenGL games and applications unless it's disabled ...

By the way... Windows Phone doesn't even support OpenGL (not even OpenGL ES).. Neither does Windows RT/Metro.

Incorrect, they have an OpenGL wrapper that's a derivative of work on Aero that blocks OpenGL games and applications from running at all...

If you wrote this in the year of 2000 - I would take you seriously.. What is the best IDE in the world? Ask any developer. That would be Microsoft Visual Studio. It's actually free (the Express editions). I fail to see how Linux as a FOSS OS facilitates open source development more.. Did Valve just open sourced their Left 2 Dead 2 and Portal 2 tools and/or other code? Did I miss that on the news? Of course..

Sophomoric, uninformed, troll sarcasm -- sorry I'll not indulge you further, do your homework...

:j:

But make some mental effort to do your own diligence, learn to search Microsoft Technet and and MSDN, you'll learn that the Windows Aero compositer uses OpenGL and (shockingly) can confer as much as a 50% performance hit to OpenGL games and applications unless it's disabled ...

The difference is that I can provide links and do my research. You just throw words and insults when confronted with an argument.

Incorrect, they have an OpenGL wrapper that's a derivative of work on Aero that blocks OpenGL games and applications from running at all...

Aero does not use OpenGL.

You seem to know so little about OpenGL on Windows.. so let me help you:

Windows ships with their own OpenGL implementation, yes. The version that is implemented? It's 1.1. A version that does not even have basic shader support. Now imagine Aero running on this? Yeah..

Furthermore, how did they implement their OpenGL? Before XP - it was simply software based, since XP - they wrote OpenGL DLL as a wrapper around Direct3D calls. It's basically Direct3D masked as OpenGL.

The reason anything above OpenGL 1.1+ works in today's games in Windows is because hardware vendors (NVIDIA, AMD, Intel, etc) ship their own OpenGL implementations/DLLs with their drivers.

Sophomoric, uninformed, troll sarcasm -- sorry I'll not indulge you further, do your homework...

I did the homework, for you.

Edited by simast

One of the Developers at Phoronix offered to port ArmA II, at no cost if I recall correctly and he has an outstanding reputation for doing exactly this sort of work. Perhaps if ArmA III has moved the BI code base forward substantially BI might feel safe enough to consider a Linux port of an older game like OFP, ArmA, or ArmA II just to get things moving... Heck, with a FOSS OS BI could fully integrate ArmA, DRM, Tools and Website in it's own custom OS fully standardizing the platform and obviating an enormous range of support costs, circumvent cheating and piracy in one fell handsome custom swoop.

What's more this last, i.e. the cost of an integrated game OS and game engine as an 'appliance' has already been defrayed by free and open projects like SuSE Studio, which would, in the long haul making developing future ArmA games not only more secure, uniform, and standardized but far less expensive then developing for Windows...

You really mean gratis??? And why the hell BI doesn'accept it?? The best game series ever ported on linux GRATIS??????? I can't believe it. Can you post the link about please?