Sign in to follow this  
rehtus777

CPU Thermal Paste could be your troubles on Low FPS numbers or "lagging"

OP is correct regarding high end/fast rigs required, i have 0 issues with performance in A3 or indeed A2, i have followed the dev team & progress of the Arma series for many years, this game engine will eat most rigs for breakfast because of the gazzillion calculations it's doing at any given moment, that's what makes it great ;)

After reading the OP suggestions, I downloaded a temperature monitor for my cpu. I realised I was running idle at 55C. That is way to high, so I bough some thermal paste and applied it. I now run idle at 36 C. That is way better!

In game, I tested the first seconds of the infantry showcase and I went from 30fps to 34 fps. Not bad really for just some thermal paste.

After reading the OP suggestions, I downloaded a temperature monitor for my cpu. I realised I was running idle at 55C. That is way to high, so I bough some thermal paste and applied it. I now run idle at 36 C. That is way better!

In game, I tested the first seconds of the infantry showcase and I went from 30fps to 34 fps. Not bad really for just some thermal paste.

edit : I did not read "I realised I was running idle at 55C." my bad.

I can guarantee ( and numerous others ) that you wont get more fps UNLESS you cpu is throttling due to high temps , Unless your reaching over 80c , you won't see an improvement on fps due to the low temp.

But what does give you is more "oc breathing room" and more life to your cpu ;) ( more reading about that here )

If your cpu never went past 55c , I can guarantee your those 4fps didn't come from the lower temps.

Since your cpu was never hot enough to need to throttle it's speed to lower temps. ( that's the "problem" with high temps , paired with the obvious cpu life problems )

But don't get me wrong here ... to get less 20c is great :) That will give more life to your cpu , and as I'v said .. more overclocking room.

I usually lived by the AS5 rule .... Artic Silver 5 is ( in my opinion ) a great thermal paste and a good investment.

If you have a good cooler ( CM212+ Noctua etc ) they usually come with good thermal paste ( no use getting AS5 if you have that ).

But this will only "give" you fps , if you reaching really over-the-top temps, and that wasn't your case.

Edited by neolitejukebox

this game engine will eat most rigs for breakfast because of the gazzillion calculations it's doing at any given moment, that's what makes it great ;)

I would disagree about "eating rigs for breakfast"

I have a decent enough rig (http://speccy.piriform.com/results/K17MnCd7rmICDBA5s7fCUD4) with an i7 2600k at 4.5 gHz and 3 gtx 580's, SSD raid.

If the game was really "eating rigs for breakfast", then wouldn't my rig actually be getting used? I see many instances of FPS below 30, even as low as 20. This is while my CPU usage is at 20% max and the GPU's so under-utilized they've down-clocked to desktop speeds.

Don't make people think it's their computer's fault for not being powerful enough when there isn't a PC on the planet that can run the game perfectly in it's current form.

i have 0 issues with performance in A3 or indeed A2,

Then you clearly have lower standards than I do. You're experiencing the same issues as I am right now. You've just convinced yourself that it's fine.

Edited by tet5uo