Sign in to follow this  
birdistheword

Big Maps with over 1000 km² ?

Hey guys is it possible to make a Terrain which is 40km x 40km ?

I drawed a Map with all lakes , strees , Mountains , bridges .... with which programm it will be easier to make a Arma2 Map from a jpg ?

I like the aspect in Cinema 4D you can make a plane give it your texture and "copy" then from this picture.

Does a program with this feature exist ?

Greets ,

bird

It is possible to make a terrain that big but it will be time consuming and making it look good may be difficult. There are also bugs with the 4096px x 4096px heightmap that will make things more difficult on you. For example, you cannot place objects in the upper right hand quadrant. As far as programs go, I am a fan of L3DT. There is a free version, a trail of the full product, and a paid version. The paid version is only $30 or something like that though. Additionally, if you are just using the image for object placement than visitor has the capability to use background images. If you haven't made a terrain yet I would recommend looking at Bushlurker's Beginner's Guide it is very helpful.

It is possible to make a terrain that big but it will be time consuming and making it look good may be difficult. There are also bugs with the 4096px x 4096px heightmap that will make things more difficult on you. For example, you cannot place objects in the upper right hand quadrant. As far as programs go, I am a fan of L3DT. There is a free version, a trail of the full product, and a paid version. The paid version is only $30 or something like that though. Additionally, if you are just using the image for object placement than visitor has the capability to use background images. If you haven't made a terrain yet I would recommend looking at Bushlurker's Beginner's Guide it is very helpful.

I tried L3DT too its a good program but does it allow you to make a 41km x 41km map ? (on the paid version)

I made a 2D Map but dont know how to get a 3D of it in Visitor.

Do i just need a sat image , cfg and a legend image to make the Terrain from it in Visitor ?

Edit:

What will happen if i Make a 20,5km x 20,5km with L3DT make than the heightmap of it and scale it up to 41km x 41km ?

Edited by birdistheword

I tried L3DT too its a good program but does it allow you to make a 41km x 41km map ? (on the paid version)

I made a 2D Map but dont know how to get a 3D of it in Visitor.

Do i just need a sat image , cfg and a legend image to make the Terrain from it in Visitor ?

Edit:

What will happen if i Make a 20,5km x 20,5km with L3DT make than the heightmap of it and scale it up to 41km x 41km ?

L3DT is mostly for heightmap editing and making a mask and satellite image. It is possible to do a heightmap for a 41km x 41km in L3DT. If you do a 2m/px satellite image you could make one of those in L3DT and possibly one that is a bit higher resolution than that. You can always get the trial of L3DT and use that to make the 41km x 41km. Or you could do a 20.5km x 20.5km and then double it in photoshop. There will be consequences though most likely slopes becoming smoother. You need a sat image, a mask image, a layers.cfg and maplegend to be able to use buldozer and Visitor. You can use visitor without that stuff but you won't be able to see the buldozer view.

I strongly recommend doing a smaller terrain first though and getting the hang of things. 41km x 41km is incredibly big and will take A LOT of time.

L3DT is mostly for heightmap editing and making a mask and satellite image. It is possible to do a heightmap for a 41km x 41km in L3DT. If you do a 2m/px satellite image you could make one of those in L3DT and possibly one that is a bit higher resolution than that. You can always get the trial of L3DT and use that to make the 41km x 41km. Or you could do a 20.5km x 20.5km and then double it in photoshop. There will be consequences though most likely slopes becoming smoother. You need a sat image, a mask image, a layers.cfg and maplegend to be able to use buldozer and Visitor. You can use visitor without that stuff but you won't be able to see the buldozer view.

I strongly recommend doing a smaller terrain first though and getting the hang of things. 41km x 41km is incredibly big and will take A LOT of time.

Kay i have the height map now.

to get the sat image i should fill the heights with paint right ?

No need of Roads , City´s .. jet ?

As maplegend i would use SurfaceMapLegend.png

The layers .cfg is no prob for me but what does the mask image contain ?

Edited by birdistheword

The mask_lco image contains colors that are associated with different textures that appear when the player gets near. I believe that is explained in the tutorial I linked you to.

The mask_lco image contains colors that are associated with different textures that appear when the player gets near. I believe that is explained in the tutorial I linked you to.

Didnt find anything in the Guide about it :/

Didnt find anything in the Guide about it :/

Page 20.

Hello Birdistheword,

My post here might be informative:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?108075-Haadur-40km&p=2352125#post2352125

And this one too, perhaps:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151405-40K-sat_lco-SOLVED

I have not had any problems placing objects in any quadrant of the terrain. However, the project is time intensive (25 minutes to load the project into buldozer via Vistor 3 and 45 minutes to bianerize). If you have not made ARMA terrains before, I can not encourage you strongly enough to start with a smaller terrain first (even 5km) to experiment with and learn from.

Best of luck and wishes nonetheless,

Walker

Edited by JR_Walker
wrong person

Hello Harzach...

Thanks Walker, but this isn't my topic! :D