Sign in to follow this  
marcushague

Which version of arma 3 is best?

i have had a look around the forums and noticed people going on about the devbuild..... just wondering what this build is and what is different than the alpha i got through steam....

which would be more beneficial for me to use and most reliable as the version i have crashes quite alot (i got my version through the steam storee....)

i have seen the sticky post about this but am not too tech savvy and it does not make much sense to me... so which version would be best to use and how do i change versions?

thanks

Apparently the Dev build is changing all the time and you will be getting updates regularly. I have also heard that this can cause unstable game play at times. So it is all about what you want really.

well i am recieving unstable play at the minute on the steam version, alot of disconnects and crashes....

is this even worse on the dev build?

what benefits does the other build have?

Ill direct you to this post concerning dev build.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149639-Helicopter-SHowcase-completely-broken-since-new-DevBuild-Update

This may give you an idea about how things can turn out. The Devs do warn though that such errors can occur when opting into the dev build, just to be clear.

I think if you post your concerns on the feedback tracker, you may come across players with similar issues that you are having.

Personally I am very lucky to say I have not had any real issues thus far.

To have a little generalized selection overview:

1. Alpha - Development branch - you want the highest frequency of updates, to be able to quickly confirm fixes, and get sneak previews at changes. But you also accept the high probability of the version working fine one day and not at all the next. This version is good for us to rapidly test crash fixes, experiment with features and such. This branch does not receive high priority support from us; we may have to focus on internal tasks before fixing it. It's not ideal for 'just playing the game'. "The Wild Wild Alpha"
    :292:
  2. Alpha - default branch - you want to have a reasonably stable experience that passed through internal Quality Assurance (it's still an Alpha). But you accept lower frequency of updates. I'd recommend this version for 'just playing the game'
    :cheers:
  3. Full game (and Beta) - you want to play the finished game and wait out the Alpha. But you bought it very cheaply now (don't want to make it seem like we don't want you testing the Alpha and Beta of course, but it's a valid option)
    :cool:

To have a little generalized selection overview:

1. Alpha - Development branch - you want the highest frequency of updates, to be able to quickly confirm fixes, and get sneak previews at changes. But you also accept the high probability of the version working fine one day and not at all the next. This version is good for us to rapidly test crash fixes, experiment with features and such. This branch does not receive high priority support from us; we may have to focus on internal tasks before fixing it. It's not ideal for 'just playing the game'. "The Wild Wild Alpha"
    :292:
  2. Alpha - default branch - you want to have a reasonably stable experience that passed through internal Quality Assurance (it's still an Alpha). But you accept lower frequency of updates. I'd recommend this version for 'just playing the game'
    :cheers:
  3. Full game (and Beta) - you want to play the finished game and wait out the Alpha. But you bought it very cheaply now (don't want to make it seem like we don't want you testing the Alpha and Beta of course, but it's a valid option)
    :cool:

thanks for the response guys,

think i will stick with the alpha version for now as my machine is barely able to run the game ( very odd for the alienware laptop i use) but seems it is struggling to run the game at times....

so if i switched to the devbuild then i imagine i would get less gameplay than i do now.

thanks muchly guys.

marcus.

yea I seem to be crashing alot (in multiplayer for that is the only thing I play) on the latest build AKA not playable! not complaining or anything! just stating a fact! plus I can't seem to read more then 30 FPS in multiplayer no matter the settings which is weird!