Sign in to follow this  
Paratrooper

What nationality would you be?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Turkish @ July 22 2002,17:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd be English.  I find England and its people fascinating.  I'm always trying to perfect my accent.  I watch all the BBC I can (I know TV only gives you a limited view into the culture, but at least you can learn to mimic the accent), and Snatch is my favourite movie (obviously).

Militarily speaking, I think the Brits have always had a cutting-edge military.  Easily on a par with the US Army (of which I am a part).  The SAS is responsible, IMPO, for inspiring every special forces unit to date.  And the SA80/L85A1 is one of the best (and coolest looking) assault rifles available.  I wish the US Army would switch to it (though the M16 is growing on me).

The only thing that sucks, is the gun laws there and in Australia are unbelievable.<span id='postcolor'>

Well I've always been a strong exponent of elocution,but I can't say the SA 80 is worth adopting. I will say that our armed forces are the best in the world, even if they are kept lean by the Chancellor.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ July 22 2002,13:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I've always been a strong exponent of elocution,but I can't say the SA 80 is worth adopting. I will say that our armed forces are the best in the world, even if they are kept lean by the Chancellor.<span id='postcolor'>

I thought this was a thread about praising other countries. Comments like "will say that our armed forces are the best in the world" will turn this into another patriotic "Who's the best" thread.

Shame on you. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ July 22 2002,19:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ July 22 2002,13wow.gif8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I've always been a strong exponent of elocution,but I can't say the SA 80 is worth adopting. I will say that our armed forces are the best in the world, even if they are kept lean by the Chancellor.<span id='postcolor'>

I thought this was a thread about praising other countries.  Comments like "will say that our armed forces are the best in the world" will turn this into another patriotic "Who's the best" thread.

Shame on you.   confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I was commenting on his comments.

Me saying that I agree with his praise of our armed forces isn't a reason to start a "Flame war" , now is it wink.gif

Exactly. And you have to remember, we each have our own bias. I would really hate it if the US Army went up against the Brits. We'd both be screwed.

So to reiterate (and get back on topic), I'd be a Brit if I could.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ July 22 2002,18:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Russian.

Not just because of the game too.  I've always loved Russia.  The language, the environment.  Everything.  They have great military aircraft, and a very proud history.

I took a ground school (teaches you the book stuff of flying) course with two ex-Russian pilots.  One was a fighter pilot, the other a helicopter pilot.  They were both very nice people.<span id='postcolor'>

Damm hell you are absolutely right!, but besides that "history" issue you find a far more fascinating one: culture. Just think about the amount of famous painters that have create new trends e.g. Chagall, Filonov, Kandinski, Baranov Rossine,... and then about literature and music: everyone knows Rachmaninov, Rubinstein, Tchaikovsky and the ballet.

But the problem is that all damm morons from the russian countryside have no clue about the REAL tradition they have and what the Really can be proud of. Instead they are whining about the military power they lost. I hope the universities can keep the best students at home (and not let them emigrate to germany, US, whereever) and the arts will once again florish, cause right now many arts could need some new impulses.! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ July 22 2002,21:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ July 22 2002,18:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Russian.

Not just because of the game too.  I've always loved Russia.  The language, the environment.  Everything.  They have great military aircraft, and a very proud history.

I took a ground school (teaches you the book stuff of flying) course with two ex-Russian pilots.  One was a fighter pilot, the other a helicopter pilot.  They were both very nice people.<span id='postcolor'>

Damm hell you are absolutely right!, but besides that "history"  issue you find a far more fascinating one: culture. Just think about the amount of famous painters that have create new trends e.g. Chagall, Filonov, Kandinski, Baranov Rossine,... and then about literature and music: everyone knows Rachmaninov, Rubinstein, Tchaikovsky and the ballet.

But the problem is that all damm morons from the russian countryside have no clue about the REAL tradition they have and what the Really can be proud of. Instead they are whining about the military power they lost. I hope the universities can keep the best students at home (and not let them emigrate to germany, US, whereever) and the arts will once again florish, cause right now many arts could need some new impulses.!  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Much of the finest art flourishes out of hardship, I'm sure Russia will produce fine cultural exports once again.