Sign in to follow this  
bluedrake42

AMD FX Overclocking, HUGE FPS boost

Literally over doubled my framerate from 14 frames or so to 35 all with Ultra settings

Boosted my AMD FX 8350 from 4.0Ghz to a stable 4.82Ghz

I'm going to try and push for 5.0Ghz, but if that doesn't work out, I'm happy with this

Seriously I'm getting like 40 frames in CTI action packed missions in the city

In fields and stuff I get like 60+ frames

Yep, that'll happen with ArmA. More cores doesn't mean better performance, but faster cores means better performance.

still doesn't make sense how I have to overclock my cpu to 4.8ghz to match the performance of an intel chip at like... 3.2 ghz

still doesn't make sense how I have to overclock my cpu to 4.8ghz to match the performance of an intel chip at like... 3.2 ghz

intel has better per core performance, if the game only uses 1-2 cores, intel wins.

the few ones with good fps are usually intel owners overclocking to 4,5ghz+

Funny, I just installed my Thermaltake Water2.0 today and was about to overclock my 8350 somewhere around a stable 4.8GHz. Will be doing that tomorrow though, and coming back here with the results.

Literally over doubled my framerate from 14 frames or so to 35 all with Ultra settings

Boosted my AMD FX 8350 from 4.0Ghz to a stable 4.82Ghz

I'm going to try and push for 5.0Ghz, but if that doesn't work out, I'm happy with this

Seriously I'm getting like 40 frames in CTI action packed missions in the city

In fields and stuff I get like 60+ frames

Can you tell me what Graphics card you are using with that CPU, because i am using an 8120 FX at the moment @ 4.0Ghz with an ATi 7850 2GB.

And i just cannot get my frames over 20-25 FPS even with everything on Low or even Disabled, and if i put everything on High or Ultra the Frame difference is only around 2-3 FPS.

Also when i monitor my CPU and GPU load it doesn't go over 30-40%, so i know my setup is not being bottlenecked by anything but it just doesn't take the power it needs.

Make sure you have a good cooler m8, also try shutting of cores 4 to 7 and you will find your OC going through the roof on the other other 4 cores. Be very careful though you don't want to burn the cpu.