Sign in to follow this  
rehtus777

Bohemia Interactive's Head Must Be Spinning....but hey, they own Steam right now. :-)

Thinking about if things are "too cod" goes against what ArmA should be about. Such elitist behavior is toxic and it only hurts the community. (I'm not saying this about you.)

Play the way you want to play in this fantastic military sandbox. May it be CQC or huge events, it is up to you. There is no superior way of playing ArmA, at least there shouldn't be. There should be something here for every taste out there in this heavily mod-supported game. (Unless you want to get spoon-fed.)

Pffft, "every taste out there"? Just look at the third-person-view threads to see how much the elitists believe in "for every taste out there". To be quite honest I feel the whiff of toxic elitism almost literally every time someone on these forums refers to "milsim". :rolleyes: Thus, to me it and "realism" are actually pejoratives at this point -- I specifically downplay "realism"/"milsim" when promoting Arma 3 by word-of-mouth and focus on the sandbox, particularly using anecdotes that are not milsim but very much arguably the opposite.

After all, "realistic ballistics" doesn't draw actually-impressed reactions and desire-to-look-into-the-product like "Arma Kart 64" or "1v1, you racing around a track suspended above the water while the other player tries to blow you up/knock you off using an attack helicopter" does. :icon_twisted:

Bite your tounge "oh no I just imagined "Arma 3 alpha using matchmaking"."
That's the part that's worst about the current MP situation, we currently lack (non-workaround) dedicated servers with which to throw off the "matchmaking" label. :p
For me the single most important thing from here to launch is that they dedicate people to minimize hacking, I can live with a wonky game but I can't play a game filled with hackers.
We'll see what's what when the devs actually introduce any attempt at anti-hacking protections, since Dwarden has admitted that as of this point in time they haven't implemented any anti-hacking measures.

Pffft, "every taste out there"? Just look at the third-person-view threads to see how much the elitists believe in "for every taste out there". To be quite honest I feel the whiff of toxic elitism almost literally every time someone on these forums refers to "milsim". :rolleyes: Thus, to me it and "realism" are actually pejoratives at this point -- I specifically downplay "realism"/"milsim" when promoting Arma 3 by word-of-mouth and focus on the sandbox, particularly using anecdotes that are not milsim but very much arguably the opposite.

After all, "realistic ballistics" doesn't draw actually-impressed reactions and desire-to-look-into-the-product like "Arma Kart 64" or "1v1, you racing around a track suspended above the water while the other player tries to blow you up/knock you off using an attack helicopter" does. :icon_twisted:That's the part that's worst about the current MP situation, we currently lack (non-workaround) dedicated servers with which to throw off the "matchmaking" label. :pWe'll see what's what when the devs actually introduce any attempt at anti-hacking protections, since Dwarden has admitted that as of this point in time they haven't implemented any anti-hacking measures.

The third-person view is an never ending discussion. And it is not a discussion that fits in the ArmA universe only, it goes in every multiplayer game with third person views. It will never end, no matter what BI or modders do.

And it is hardly something that can be put against my "every taste out there" saying. I believe that ArmA should be so customizable and mod-able, so that every shooter fan out there could find it enjoyable in a way. Unless they demand "no-recoil shooters".

I believe that ArmA should be so customizable and mod-able, so that every shooter fan out there could find it enjoyable in a way.
For some reason, the toxic elitists (that I think of when I think of the term "milsim") seem to disagree... Edited by Chortles

For me the single most important thing from here to launch is that they dedicate people to minimize hacking, I can live with a wonky game but I can't play a game filled with hackers.

Agree 200%, scriptkiddies etc totally destroyed BF3 if not on a moderated server.

And even clans take part in the more hidden cheats, noticed it sometimes when somebody started using spawing behind your back cheat, suddenly loads of people on opposite side did the same.

This from players that I know insists on the boards there is very little cheating in BF3, just better playing.

For some reason, the toxic elitists (that I think of when I think of the term "milsim") seem to disagree...

Yes. But they're probably not used to playing ArmA where it feels like you're playing an FPS, and where PvP actually works. The game has opened up a whole new dimension of playstyles now, and this is something these elitists need to get used to, either they like it or not. :)

Yes. But they're probably not used to playing ArmA where it feels like you're playing an FPS, and where PvP actually works. The game has opened up a whole new dimension of playstyles now, and this is something these elitists need to get used to, either they like it or not. :)
And they've been complaining about that too all the way! :lol: Seriously, my sig should tell you what I think, especially after the "Better animations?" thread. (Turns out that the OP hasn't posted for a week now since he took a swat at Smookie and publicly regretted buying a Supporter Edition.)

Such mentalities in turn fuel my lack of sympathy for their position when things like more fluid controls, talk of "accessibility", Steamworks, or even "the rush of players following DayZ" come up.

As I said elsewhere -- I showed up for the sandbox, not the "milsim", and I'm glad that BI seems to "get it" with regards to what potential they have now that they have that wider non-milsim base that they can count on to make the milsimmers more of a simply-vocal hopefully-minority. :D

After shunning away from the first 2 installments due to low end PC hardware on my end, I finally decided to go headfirst into this one.

same here, but i was forced to get a new (and good this time) pc because my old one broke a few days before the alpha came out :D

And they've been complaining about that too all the way! :lol: Seriously, my sig should tell you what I think, especially after the "Better animations?" thread. (Turns out that the OP hasn't posted for a week now since he took a swat at Smookie and publicly regretted buying a Supporter Edition.)

Such mentalities in turn fuel my lack of sympathy for their position when things like more fluid controls, talk of "accessibility", Steamworks, or even "the rush of players following DayZ" come up.

As I said elsewhere -- I showed up for the sandbox, not the "milsim", and I'm glad that BI seems to "get it" with regards to what potential they have now that they have that wider non-milsim base that they can count on to make the milsimmers more of a simply-vocal hopefully-minority. :D

I wouldn't want to push some types of players out. I like "mil-sim events", if i could call it that.

In with the new, the old stays! I don't want the core of ArmA to change. I want the "vets" to feel that it is still ArmA. :) We have modders to work around the core, to create experiences for everyone!

Edited by Winfernal

Funny i hear the same thing other people who play X game when talking about other games they don't play :P

I know it....but we know the truth :p ArmA takes brains and patients to play, so that takes a lot of the ADHD kids out of the mix. COD and BF3 are more "motor skill" games that don't take a whole lot of thinking.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

It's amazing how well this game performs even in its Alpha state. It works better for me than ArmA 2 does.

And finally, at LAST, very solid controls. It feels less like I'm running around with a wobbly, jittery pothead and more like a focused and trained soldier. I'm also very pleased (and rather surprised) at the major improvements to collision detection while inside buildings.

AI driving however, still needs work, but seeing everything vastly improved I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually nail this too.

Their best release since OpFlashpoint by far. And damn those Ifrits look awesome.

+1 Agreed

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Followed Bohemia interactive since the operation flashpoint demo - own all of theyre products in the arma series. There is and never will be a game series like this - no other community like this - Bet codemasters are banging theyre heads against the wall right now:)

Yes sir. All that Czech Hard Work Ethic is paying off and when they need a break, they have the best beer in the World.

Yes sir. All that Czech Hard Work Ethic is paying off and when they need a break, they have the best beer in the World.

Somehow my nickname is relevant.. :p

cze-staropramen-kelt-original-stout.jpg

Somehow my nickname is relevant.. :p

I've never tried that Beer before. I've tried the following:

czechvar.jpg

I loved it. But talking to most beer connoisseurs (I'm a Homebrewer), they agree that Czech beer is the best in the world....sorry Germany but those are the "Facts" (opinions).