Sign in to follow this  
HonorableHero

FPS Drops Over Time in a Multiplayer Game

Hey,

I was playing on some servers the other day, mainly DZS (dynamic zombie sandbox), and my FPS will be fine when i first join in.

I play and some people join in. We start working together and shoot some zombies and boom, fps plummets down to 10fps from 50/60fps.

The more people that join, the worse it gets. I may be slow, but I can realize that its probably my connection with so many people joining.

I just want to know why it does this on the game, it doesn't do it on my other games: Battlefield 3, Garry's Mod, Minecraft.

It does the same thing if I host a game, or just join one.

Thanks in advance,

Kaleb :)

If it helps:

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x6 1035T

Nvidia GTX 560 ti

8gb Patriot DDR3 RAM

Edited by HonorableHero
Listed Specs

This is an old ArmA II issue that is still not solved in ArmA III alpha. Client performance will go down with Server performance, especially when A.I. is involved or with large player amounts. Currently there are no dedicatd servers with headless client (HC) for ArmA III that could lessen the problem...and HC is still in beta even for ArmA II.

All I can sugest is: hang on and wait for future builds.

I have the same problem as you.

Been playing some Wasteland to get the hang of the game and configure everything.

But the longer it goes the worse it gets. From "perfectly fine" to "almost unplayable" to "guess what frame comes next" to "you died by that dude right in front of you although you shot him 30 times".

Really annoying. Also all optimisation from my side that i could do, is already done ( -cpuCount=8 -high -maxMem=6144 ).

Let´s hope for this to get better since FPS is one of the most important things in a shooter after all.

I have watched our server grind itself into the dirt several times this week. And literally nothing in the mission changes. Its very frustrating to watch a full server crashed for no apparent reason. But, Im sure it will get batter, just hang in there.

This is an old ArmA II issue that is still not solved in ArmA III alpha. Client performance will go down with Server performance, especially when A.I. is involved or with large player amounts. Currently there are no dedicatd servers with headless client (HC) for ArmA III that could lessen the problem...and HC is still in beta even for ArmA II.

Speaking of this, why don't they just implement AI multithreading in the server binary? If AI can be distributed across processes, it shouldn't be much trouble to distribute it across threads (or hell, even forked processes for all I care - just a solution that doesn't use server slots and is cross-platform).

I have the same problem as you.

Been playing some Wasteland to get the hang of the game and configure everything.

But the longer it goes the worse it gets. From "perfectly fine" to "almost unplayable" to "guess what frame comes next" to "you died by that dude right in front of you although you shot him 30 times".

Really annoying. Also all optimisation from my side that i could do, is already done ( -cpuCount=8 -high -maxMem=6144 ).

Let´s hope for this to get better since FPS is one of the most important things in a shooter after all.

Actually you could do more, arma's engine its not good at multithreading, so having 8 cores is useless, if you really want to boost your performance deactivating a couple of cores of even half of them. then overclock the rest, ARMA 3 is only using 2 cores at anytime.

GHz are what this game need. not multiple cores.