Sign in to follow this  
icewindo

Space Map

Hey,

I've ported my A2 Space Map to A3, added in the A2 plane class (it seems to me like there's only a helicopter and air class left but I may be wrong) and based a space shuttle model (NASA model) on the new class.

There's still some config errors popping up because I don't reference some entries that changed in A3. If I get this any further (or not) I'll release the current stage. If I find the time I'd like to port my bsg ship package as it'd fit the map pretty well.

Current status:

BU3902mPl0w

Awesome.

Oh, if you port over the Vipers and the Raiders, please fix the flight models.

They like to sway side to side nonstop making it impossible to fly straight. And they stall out quite easily.

OMG yes!!! Did you also do the BSG addon that includes the massive ships?? (Base star, etc)

Hey dudes,

thanks yep the BSG ships are on a good way, it turns out it won't be that much work since a plane class exists in A3 as I found out. I allready have them working ingame with rockets and railguns.

Awesome.

Oh, if you port over the Vipers and the Raiders, please fix the flight models.

They like to sway side to side nonstop making it impossible to fly straight. And they stall out quite easily.

Yep will try some stuff out, also to rearrange the geometry so that the weight is carried by little boxes which makes for an more even placement of center of mass. Currently the center mass is not aligned directly in the middle but abit too left which is probably creating that wobby behaviour.

OMG yes!!! Did you also do the BSG addon that includes the massive ships?? (Base star, etc)

Base star not, but I have a pegasus model in the package. However it has no geometry as the ship is way too large and outside the geo limit (64m). So it's more like a scene setup. In theory it's possible to recreate the geometry based on 64x64 pieces but it was too much work when I tried it out.

nice job icewindo, cant wait to see some romans running around creating carnage;)

Thanks, will experiment with that too :) .

Edited by Icewindo

Aw the geometry limit is 64m?

:<

I could've sworn the Nimitz ship addon in ArmA 2 was larger than 50m.

Does anyone know about that?

So disappointed by that..

Still, can't wait to see the ships ported over!

Aw the geometry limit is 64m?

:<

I could've sworn the Nimitz ship addon in ArmA 2 was larger than 50m.

Does anyone know about that?

So disappointed by that..

Still, can't wait to see the ships ported over!

The nimitz was probably done the same way as the aircraft carrier on Utes Island - division into 4 seperate parts which then are joined together.

One BIS dev answered to this on the armastack question ("limit exists because of the data structure used") site but the site is down so I can't link it. :(

However I know that the definitive limit for x and z is 64m. And the definite limit for height / Y is far higher, probably 128m as I've created buildings with functioning geo lod as tall as 120m.

I don't think this changed for A3 though.

--------------------

But for me the problem isn't so much the limit of the geo but more the time in re-creating the geo lod. In theory it's very possible to re-create the whole geometry of the Battlestar in say ~100 pieces and put the pieces so they overlap directly with the corresponding visual lod.

I could then create a script that spawns all the geometry pieces directly on the same position as the visual object. That'd work like a charm. I've allready done that with 5% of the Basestar.

I'd need a kind of script that subdivides the model into these 60mx60m pieces. I'm positive an advanced 3d modeller would be able to this in e.g. max by creating an algorithm but I lack the knowledge. So if you know sb. into 3d modelling you could present him the issue.

Edited by Icewindo