Sign in to follow this  
Jason-Alaska

Resistance: can´t host mp games

I can't seem to host an IP game of Resistance. I can host a network game and the other computer on my network sees it. But if I try to host an IP game, my friends trying to join my IP can't see the game.

I hosted countless games of Operation Flashpoint and never had a problem with clients trying to join an IP game I was hosting. So what's different now?

We all have (legal, not copied, non-FADEing) versions of Operation Flashpoint, and Resistance installed.

I'm running Windows ME and don't have a firewall set up. I'm hosting on a 1mbps cable modem that is shared with another system on my network through a hub. Following are my system specs. Thanks for any help or suggestions. smile.gif

Windows ME

P4 1.7 Ghz

512 megs RDRAM

Direct X 8.1

ASUS P4 Motherboard

ASUS Geforce3 64meg (Primary display)

Nvidia TNT2 32meg (Secondary Display))

SoundBlaster Live! MP3 5.1

3COM Network card

Adaptec SCSI card

Jaz drive (SCSI)

Zip drive

Pioner DVD-Rom (30x)

CD-Burner (SCSI 8x)

(MS) Game Voice

(MS) Optical Mouse

Belkin Nostromo N50 Speed Pad

Thrustmaster TQS, FLCS, RCS and digital chips installed

Edimensional Wireless E-D Glasses

Tracker IR Head tracking unit

I can't be the ONLY person who could host Operation Flashpoint games but now can't host Resistance games... Am I?

Come on... Just a hint. wink.gif

Sorry I can host fine sad.gif

You got all the ports open you need to have open with your hub and all that? smile.gif

Make sure that ports 2302-2304 are forwarded to your system in NAT, and that the other computers are trying to connect to your external IP address.

Thanks for the help! smile.gif

Not only do I use Winipcfg.exe to check my IP address. I also verify it with...

http://checkip.dyndns.org/

Both give me the same address.

As far as NAT and confirming that ports are open that need to be open with my hub. I thought those were only concerns with routers. Mine is a straight hub. No router in the mix. I have an "Asante 10T hub".

Any further suggestions?

Is the Cable modem on the host PC or the other networked PC? Stop sharing the modem with your other PC and see if you can now Host.

The cable modem is on the hub. The other two systems each have there own spot on the hub. So no one system has the cable modem.

Even with out the second system turned on, on the network, my primary system, the system I host the game on can't create a game that my buddy outside the network can see.

I've done a complete uninstall / reinstall to see if that clears anything up. I'll know tommorow night when we try to connect again.

I have the same problem. I don't know what's wrong. I can't find a solution to this problem. I reinstalled OFP, i did everything and i still can't host games with version 1.75.

I can host without problems with 1.46 though. sad.gif

I have 1mbit cable.

A hub and a cable modem by themselves don't make a complete network for more than one PC -- for a typical installation, somewhere there has to be a DHCP server and NAT.

All a hub does is provide an electrical connection between all of the network devices, but it doesn't have any real intelligence to manage network traffic, and a simple cable modem also doesn't do anything other than taking information from the coax cable and turning it into Ethernet packets and vice versa.

Exactly which cable modem and hub do you have? Are you using Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)?

Jason, one more thing: you said that there are two computers on your network, but you never mentioned what you see when you go to http://checkip.dyndns.org/ from the second system. Are you seeing the same IP address as you do with the first system?

SpaceAlex, Sorry to hear you have the same problem. Lets fix it!!!  smile.gif Do you have a single system attached to the cable modem or, like me, do you have a network attached to it? If a network are you using a router?

Mister Frag, Thanks for the help! I am not using Microsoft's ICS. The Hub is an "Asante 10T/ 8 port Hub". The brand of the cable modem is a "COM21".

All of the systems on the network have different IP address' using http://checkip.dyndns.org/ . Again it worked flawlessly with Operation Flashpoint and every version there after. But as soon as the Resistance upgrade I can no longer host.

Again, thank's for the help... Any further suggestions?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jason-Alaska @ July 18 2002,01:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SpaceAlex, Sorry to hear you have the same problem. Lets fix it!!!  smile.gif Do you have a single system attached to the cable modem or, like me, do you have a network attached to it? If a network are you using a router?<span id='postcolor'>

A single system.

I never had the problem before. It looks like there's a porblem with resistance. I'm using 40mbit Docsis cable modem.

Well even after a complete, uninstall/re-install I still can not host IP games. At least not games that can be seen by other computers! confused.gif

Any suggestions are welcomed! smile.gif

Has anyone got any more suggestions? Very frusterating to "upgrade" and have features taken away. Hurumph! confused.gif

Still... I love this game! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jason-Alaska @ July 29 2002,03:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Has anyone got any more suggestions? Very frusterating to "upgrade" and have features taken away. Hurumph!<span id='postcolor'>

Hurumph?

I think you should still be able to host games using DirectPlay implementation.

Suma,

Thanks for the reply. We will give that a try. I'm pretty sure we all did have it set to "Direct Play" but I'll confirm that and post back here if that does (or doesn't) resolve the problem. Thanks again! tounge.gif

Suma,

Thanks that did indeed do the trick I can host and everyone can see the game as long as I have it set to Direct Play and everyone trying to connect has it set to Direct Play.

Thanks again!