Sign in to follow this  
JOEHADENUF~MOH~

Ofp +s & -s?

wink.gif just wondering about some peoples openyons about OFP

Id like to know what keeps alot of you playing and what you dont like.... and what about multiplayer? anyone think it has

a brighter future? your thoughts plz smile.gif or 02 for that matter...

The thing that keeps me going is the variety of the things you can do in OFP. It is the best game of all time and will remain a legend.

Well...I'm no modeller, so i dont really care about o2 right now, though i can understand why many people do.

I think OFP is a great game, but personally, i think VBS should have been OFP. BIS withheld SOOOO much from what might be its largest audience, and i just dont think that was smart.

I totaly agree, I also believe that the game has a sturty game play platforme but BIS could have made some serious changes, It looks like they had ALOT of oppurtunity but they seemed content to stay on one track.... but dont give up, there is always expansions and Risistance is the biggest to show for as far is I can see.... do you think size might have limited BIS's expansion of previous versions of OFP b4 it was released>?

Im thinking, like if i wer to have VBS1 it would probly hault my PC to a crwal, and its not that bad, this might be a posibility, what do you think?

Actually i think releasing OFP instead of VBS was better because OFP doesnt require that good of a PC. VBS requires a monster of a PC which costs most likely around 2 grand. Ouch thatll hurt the pocket book, and chase many people away from buying VBS. Which would you rather do? Spend 40 bucks for OFP or spend 2 grand + however much VBS will cost. Personally i would like both but in reality OFP is a much wiser decision.

Im not saying that they shouldnt release VBS to the public or shouldve, instead of OFP.

I love OFP in its current form, but it is obvious that we are looking at an entire game franchise, not just a one-hit wonder.

CM and BIS would be foolish not to take advantage of the work that has already gone into other OFP-related projects. I think the marketing could be better (at least here in the US), but the technical and gaming-related concerns brought up by the OFP community are being addressed.

If OFP had the ability to join games already in progress, it would attract a much larger audience, because so many players aren't willing to wait for a game to start. However, it would also change the whole feeling of community and attract less mature players, so maybe not having JIP is a good thing.

Well, i found something that says VBS runs on pentium PCs. Didnt say anything about minimum system req's, but i assume it wouldnt be too terrible.

I dont think i would even play OFP MP if it had the Join In Progress feature. My skin crawls every time i see someone fill the chat window with:

GO

GO

GO

GO

GO

GO

GO

GO

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO

I really dont like to join other people's games unless they are one of my friend's games. I just dont like waiting around for the next game to start.

one thing i see as pro and con at the same time is island size.

mostly i get shot at from enemy 400meters away...so it's bad for me. but on the other hand i get to manuever around as much as I can, which is good. smile.gif

AFAIK, VBS requires P4, GF4, 516MB RAM.(long time ago, i saw the sys req, so not sure about it)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ July 09 2002,23:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">AFAIK, VBS requires P4, GF4, 516MB RAM.(long time ago, i saw the sys req, so not sure about it)<span id='postcolor'>

........................well it should still be available to the public!!! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ July 10 2002,08:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ July 09 2002,23:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">AFAIK, VBS requires P4, GF4, 516MB RAM.(long time ago, i saw the sys req, so not sure about it)<span id='postcolor'>

........................well it should still be available to the public!!! tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

not really..it's classified program with USMC. I doubt if that exact version will be released. sad.gif

I really don't see what the problem is. We have talented modellers that have oxygen. We have wrpedit for the island. The Resistance engine supports textures up to 4096x4096. We have the means, motive and opportunity to build our own VBS wink.gif

true.

we have the tools, albeit in limited release to serious modders, and so far results are not spectacular, but worth while. of course there are kids who whine and bitch about it, but they don't have proof of their skills.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 09 2002,23:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I really don't see what the problem is. We have talented modellers that have oxygen. We have wrpedit for the island. The Resistance engine supports textures up to 4096x4096. We have the means, motive and opportunity to build our own VBS wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That would be the most blown-out-of-proportion game in existance! Lets see, 146 choppers for the Russians, every special forces unit ever concieved for NATO, launchable SCUDs with optional nuclear warheads, infantry mini-guns...

Not that i think its a bad idea, but if a limit isnt put on somewhere, it just gets out of hand. I still just want a wide open, out door version of Rogue Spear confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ July 10 2002,09:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That would be the most blown-out-of-proportion game in existance! Lets see, 146 choppers for the Russians, every special forces unit ever concieved for NATO, launchable SCUDs with optional nuclear warheads, infantry mini-guns...<span id='postcolor'>

Not necessarily. The major point of VBS (at least I think) is to show the soldiers how different combat situations are handeld on individual/squad/platoon and perhaps company level and how to integrate infantry, mech. infantry, armour and airsupport in combat. You don't need many units for that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I still just want a wide open, out door version of Rogue Spear confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Camper! mad.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 10 2002,00:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I still just want a wide open, out door version of Rogue Spear confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Camper!  mad.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

lol, maybe...I guess thats what i get for all those "Third eye sockets" i gave people. Seriously though, even Ghost Recon would have been a REALLY good game if the environments, including the urban ones, were just twice as big as they are now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 10 2002,00:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ July 10 2002,09:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That would be the most blown-out-of-proportion game in existance! Lets see, 146 choppers for the Russians, every special forces unit ever concieved for NATO, launchable SCUDs with optional nuclear warheads, infantry mini-guns...<span id='postcolor'>

Not necessarily. The major point of VBS (at least I think) is to show the soldiers how different combat situations are handeld on individual/squad/platoon and perhaps company level and how to integrate infantry, mech. infantry, armour and airsupport in combat. You don't need many units for that.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, i guess what i'm wanting is just an up-to-date version of OFP, which is pretty much what VBS is, with maybe slightly better graphics. I'm tired of having to call my M4A1 an XM-177E2! I'm tired of having to call my M24 SWS an M14 with a scope! And yes, i know there are addons that fill those requirements, but i can't stand third party addons!! Good they may be at times, but they're just not part of the game. Albiet its something you can use in the game, rather smoothely in some cases, but it just makes me feel like i'm cheating.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 10 2002,09:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not necessarily. The major point of VBS (at least I think) is to show the soldiers how different combat situations are handeld on individual/squad/platoon and perhaps company level and how to integrate infantry, mech. infantry, armour and airsupport in combat. You don't need many units for that.<span id='postcolor'>

too late for that idiot who ruined your training. wink.gif

VBS1 will not be released to the public and I don't think that you really want it. What you want is a version of OFP set in a modern context (if not slightly future - a la RS). This as Denior said is possible with all the modders out there. I do think that we will get a modern OFP eventually. BIS would have to be stupid to ignore the wishes of so many of us (and I don't think they are). VBS1 is a training tool for the military it offers them what they need to enact and dissect their manouvers. What we would like is a realistic game. This may or may not be IL but it will come. And the sooner the better.

Speaking of government computers, my mom works for the Defense Intelligence Agency and she says they recently got an 8 terahertz (8,000ghz) computer for rendering satelite imagery.

Man oh man imagine your OFP benchmark results with an 8thz computer...

This is what makes OFP so great... POSSIBILITIES! there is allot more than meets the eye I think, and with the tools so *cough, cough* generously distributed among the community

it seems endless this is the ONLY game I have yet to see with a NEW and GREAT things coming out on a number of GREAT sites almost EVERY day!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ July 10 2002,06:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Speaking of government computers, my mom works for the Defense Intelligence Agency and she says they recently got an 8 terahertz (8,000ghz) computer for rendering satelite imagery.

Man oh man imagine your OFP benchmark results with an 8thz computer...<span id='postcolor'>

There aren't any single processors that run at those clock speeds, they would not be able to dissipate the heat they produce.

The DIA probably has a cluster with a massively parallel architecture, involving hundreds or thousands of identical processors linked using a high-speed bus.

Those designs lend themselves to the problem at hand (image processing) because the overall task can be broken down into smaller pieces and assigned to separate processors, but they are not effective multi-purpose computers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">VBS1. ( Virtual Battlefield Systems ) is specifically developed for Military training purposes, in both Lethal and non lethal environments. Currently Bohemia Interactive Studio are developing a specific version for the USMC with the implementation by Prime contractor Coalescent Technologies.

<span id='postcolor'>

Its sound like more of a base program.

anyway I WANT IT too smile.gif

Hmmmm, In some ways VBS1 might not be what we think it is... its not really for intertainment, and If you ask me Id say It would be Kinda "cut and dry" all though the shots we'v seen are breathtaking... and BTW, Isn't independance lost going to be a VBS1 branch off?, I havent even herd any more about it for months... anyone know anything about independance lost ?

We dont know much at this point because IL is sorta a hush hush thing i guess. Heres a link to the avonlady's FAQ. Go there and look up IL. Thatll tell you all we know as of now.

Avon's FAQ