Sign in to follow this  
jureidinim

Tech slider in 1.05 patch

Question on the new tech slider in the strategy game.

If i set it to 1 or 2, do I eventually get to build the higher tech equipment (other than the random "drops" you find on islands) or am i locked at that level?

If it can be improved during a game, how does the progression work? Do they unlock by themselves over time? Does having research centres on islands help?

I tried a low tech game (tech 1) and of course ran into islands with heavier weapons that i just could not take on... that's fine... but i was wondering then how do i get my tech improved - do i just wait? I did see a message when i was approaching the enemy island that i received blueprints for my carrier flak guns - not sure what i did to trigger that though.

It looks like blueprints are distributed over all the islands at the start of the game and then when you capture a neutral or enemy island you can unlock a blueprint for something. I've started a game on the lowest tech setting and so far I've unlocked carrier flak, gatlings and shields. It certainly is a good game changer along with the new fog of war improvements. Before I would sometimes build hammerheads in advance to take out an enemy defence island quickly and weaken it's neighbours but now to do that strategy I'll need to have the tech unlocked and I'll need to scout or capture a neighbour island to reveal the enemy islands actual defence.

This is a big update, very happy about this :D Glad to see they're still putting in a good effort to improve the game.

Sounds good - but that could lead to being underpowered for a very long time in taking on the tougher islands - if the only way to advance your tech is taking over islands.. also - does the enemy carrier play by these rules too? He seems to be able to take my islands as easy as ever.

I wonder (on average) how long it takes for a patch to become official. I'd rather wait for the official patch. From the looks of it, the improvements should make the strategy game a whole new experience. I would still like to see the carrier AI be more "intelligent" in its choices of what islands to attack on my side of the fence.

Sounds good - but that could lead to being underpowered for a very long time in taking on the tougher islands - if the only way to advance your tech is taking over islands.. also - does the enemy carrier play by these rules too? He seems to be able to take my islands as easy as ever.

I don't think so.

I started a new strategic game with the tech slider set to lowest tech. After taking 4-5 islands the enemy carrier attacked one of my island. I rushed to defend it and found out that he had a mix of medium and heavy armored valruses and mantas, he didn't have very good weapons on them though only machine guns and lasers. Still I was not able to take them on, because I had only machine guns and grenade launchers, so I have lured them to the island guns :)