Sign in to follow this  
jakkob4682

how to use config commands?

Can someone break it down barny style how I would actually go about using these? I.E. If I wanted to check the displayname for a unit or check if a location is a secondary airport etc. How do you reference the variable with these commands?_isMan = getText(configFile>>"CfgVehicles">>"Land">>"Man">>"displayName") but would I then use if(_x getText == "Takistani")?

Edited by jakkob4682

If you want to do this in a script to run within a mission or addon, Ican't help you much, only just getting to grips with it myself so anything I posted might have errors.

If you want to pull the classname out for a particular vehicle / man / weapon etc. there are 2 routes: search for the "AllInOne" config, which as the name suggests is a complied list of configs; alternatively try helijunkie's Config Explorer, which is great for pulling class names out from mods like AFRS.

In your example, the variable is referenced as _isMan.

A good practice, though, is to make those _isSomething variables boolean. Makes it easier to read.

So:

_isMan = (getText(configFile>>"CfgVehicles">>"Land">>"Man">> "displayName") == "Takistani (turban)");

_isMan will be true or false, depending on whether your dude is actually a Tkistani with a turban or not.

Although this would work, the displayName is probably not the best option to check on the identity of a unit. faction, or typeOf might be better, depending on the case.

You must know the value you're looking for first. I.E. by looking at the config, use the appropriate retrieval method. See below:

getNumber -- if the config value is a number (isMan=1;)

getText -- if the config value is text (displayName="Man";)

getArray -- if the config value is an array (secondary airport ils array ilsPosition[]={1358,900};)

Example:

_type = typeOf _unit;

_isMan = if ((getNumber(configFile>>"CfgVehicles">>_type>> "isMan") == 1) then {true} else {false};

Now _isMan is boolean, and can be used elsewhere in the script by checking:

If (_isMan) then {whatever code here};

Edited by panther42

so the preceeding entry is the object you're checking and the entry after that is the condition if I understand you correct. So if I wanted to check the indirect range of an explosion effect such as ACE_pipbombexplosion

_xplosion = _this select 0;

_explosive = typeOf _explosion
_IHR = if( getNumber(configFile>>"configAmmos">>"Explosion">>_explosive>>"indirecthitrange") < 5) then {true} else {false};

if (_IHR) then {} else {};

?

You don't need the if check here.

_IHR = getNumber (configFile>>"configAmmos">>"Explosion">>_explosive>>"indirecthitrange") < 5;

already makes it a boolean.

Edit: Basically what you were doing amounts to if (true) then {true} else {false};

sweet thanks trying to use this in place of a defined number for a scripted trigger for ied's/suicide bombers to make it more realistic, going to do some more digging to see what the sensitivity range for mines/ied's if there is an entry for that