species1571

Deadly Islands mod (10th Anniversary Edition)

I haven't been able to reproduce this. Is the customization menu showing the gun as fitted when this is happening? Does removing everything and re-fitting not fix it? If not, and you are able to reproduce it, can you send me another save where this is still happening.

Thanks.

Nevermind, Tried it again and it looks to be working now, don't know what I was doing wrong before.

Once again thanks for all of your help and work you have done on this mod.

Hi Species, I have two questions.

1. How hard would you estimate the creation of a new island with custom land mass, spawn points, etc., and then implementing it to the game?

2. Would it be possible to have scalable distances between the islands?

I think it would be impossible to make a new island to add to the game as the number of islands, names of the islands etc are specifically coded into the game. The only possibility would be to modify an existing island, and I think even that would be very difficult as the editor in the workbench tool has no documentation and isn't very user-friendly.

About the distance between islands, I can make the islands spread out to fill the entire scrollable map instead of just the area in the middle if that's what you mean, but I'm not sure that longer travel times and fuel needs would suit everyone's taste.

The idea behind spreading out the islands is to actually create choke points and island barriers. Without it, either side can just launch into the opponent's backfield and disrupt supply lines without worry - given that the barque is un-destroyable.

I seem to remember there used to be a mod that enabled you to make islands farther apart if you wanted - I think it added a "distance" slider. Would love to find it again myself.

Species1571 - first off as a modder myself I really appreciate the work you have done! If you can find a way to allow users to tweak island distance and add that in - it would be great. Thanks!

There has never been a mod to do that as far as I am aware. Although I was able to make the islands spread out to fill the whole scrollable map, the limitation of the zoom function on the map screen makes it useless. It seems to be hard coded only to be able to zoom in on the current small usable section of the map.

I just reinstalled this game after about a year. I have yet to finish the campaign so I will not use this mod just yet. I do intend to use it for the Strategy mode after the campaign is done. Now with that said, my question at this point is does this mod work with the Unit Balance Mod? I'm using that one for the campaign atm and so far I'm loving what its done so far and would like to keep it installed if i can. If they wont work with eachother then I will just uninstall it in favor of Deadly Islands and Nemesis mods.

I'm afraid it won't be compatible with either Unit Balance mod or Nemesis. The latest Deadly Islands v1.24 requires CCGM v1.07.0025 which is the latest beta version of the game. Those other mods have not been maintained for a long time so are not compatible with the latest beta. The mod mixer which would be required for running these different mods at the same time has also been abandoned for a long time and no longer works with the latest game version.

Odd. I'm using the current beta and it seems the UB mod is working just fine. Had to start over on the campaign as I would get a crash when bringing up the production screen. Well either way, I will still have fun with DI mod.

Oh quick question, if the the mods makes all islands deadly does that mean I have to start out with tech level at max? I kinda like starting out with nothing.

I played the game with v1.21 of this mod throughout the campaign, and I remember there was some troubble with a CTD after a video sequence, but I managed to get it done nevertheless. Island strength is not too strong at the beginning and I also had "nothing" at start. I even turned off auto repair, unit to unit refuel and other things to make the game even harder.

Only in the end, when the enemy only had 4-5 islands, the enemy felt like cheating when overtaking MY deadly islands in just a coupple of seconds. I won after quite a while :).

So I would guess that you could play the campain with the mod.

As mod files take priority over the game's own files, the unit balance mod will be reverting some of your running files back to the version they were when the mod was last updated. It seems that the changes since it was last updated are not big enough to cause a crash at launch, but some features or fixes that were added with the last beta will not be working while you are running that mod.

About the island ratings, they are independent of starting tech. Pretty much everything in the Deadly Islands mod is customizable via in-game menu, so you don't have to upgrade all the islands to deadly, you can choose to have islands only upgraded by one level from their starting level if you want, and you can also choose how many islands you need to own before this happens, so that if you start with minimum islands and tech, you don't get shredded at the first enemy island you come to.

Updated to v1.25:

---Added an option for enemy carrier hardening. This will give each of the enemy carrier's systems extra armor which will absorb a certain amount of damage before the system itself starts taking damage, therefore making the enemy carrier more resilient in battle. By default this option is set to 10%. I recommend you try it out at this low level before going higher. This option can also be disabled if you prefer not to have it.

---Added carrier damage report display. When any of your carrier's systems take damage, a small health bar will slide out on the right edge of the screen. By default, these bars will always be displayed for any damaged systems and will disappear once the system is repaired. When a system is being repaired, its bar will turn blue to indicate that repair is taking place. There is a cutomization option if you prefer only to have the bars display for a few seconds each time damage is received, or if you prefer not to have this at all.

---Added new item, the drone tactical scanner. Production will unlock after production of the scout drone has been unlocked. Once this has been produced and sent to the carrier, the scout drone will be able to detect the items fitted to any enemy unit within scan range, as well as the type of any turret and damage level (if any) of any unit, turret or building. This information will be displayed when you point to the unit on the map. You can fit up to two of these scanners, the first will give basic short range scanning and the second will triple the range. If you lose a scout drone, you will also lose one scanner.

---The same information displayed by the drone tactical scanner will be displayed for all friendly units, turrets and buildings, including your carrier units, without the need for the drone or scanner.

---Added a hotkey so that you can switch to the previously selected unit. By default, this is bound to the backspace key. There is a customization option so you can change this if you prefer.

---You can now manually control turrets on friendly islands by clicking on them on the map.

---Carriers can now be displayed on the radar when you are outside the normal range. This can help give you a fixed point of reference to avoid losing your bearings and getting lost on an island. Note that these longer range icons will be displayed relative to the unit's orientation regardless of the rotation of the radar. There is a customization option if you prefer not to have this feature.

---Added an option to have an additional display of a unit's armor level within its command bar button. There is a customization option for this function if you prefer not to have it.

---Other improvements:

-Piers, refuelling stations and research stations no longer need to be activated by pointing to them on the map.

-Scout drone no longer needs to be manually selected after launching for it to be detected.

-In the advanced production screen, items in the queue can now be moved by dragging.

-The player's icons on the map screen are now a slightly darker shade of blue to allow the white icons of currently selected units to be seen more clearly.

Thanks to Rob04 for continued playtesting and feedback, and to BI developer Dram for helping me overcome a file size limitation which would have made this update impossible.

Download page HERE

Edited by Species1571
  • Like 1

Updated to v1.25:

---Added an option for enemy carrier hardening. This will give each of the enemy carrier's systems extra armor which will absorb a certain amount of damage before the system itself starts taking damage, therefore making the enemy carrier more resilient in battle. By default this option is set to 10%. I recommend you try it out at this low level before going higher. This option can also be disabled if you prefer not to have it.

---Added carrier damage report display. When any of your carrier's systems take damage, a small health bar will slide out on the right edge of the screen. By default, these bars will always be displayed for any damaged systems and will disappear once the system is repaired. When a system is being repaired, its bar will turn blue to indicate that repair is taking place. There is a cutomization option if you prefer only to have the bars display for a few seconds each time damage is received, or if you prefer not to have this at all.

---Added new item, the drone tactical scanner. Production will unlock after production of the scout drone has been unlocked. Once this has been produced and sent to the carrier, the scout drone will be able to detect the items fitted to any enemy unit within scan range, as well as the type of any turret and damage level (if any) of any unit, turret or building. This information will be displayed when you point to the unit on the map. You can fit up to two of these scanners, the first will give basic short range scanning and the second will triple the range. If you lose a scout drone, you will also lose one scanner.

---The same information displayed by the drone tactical scanner will be displayed for all friendly units, turrets and buildings, including your carrier units, without the need for the drone or scanner.

---Added a hotkey so that you can switch to the previously selected unit. By default, this is bound to the backspace key. There is a customization option so you can change this if you prefer.

---You can now manually control turrets on friendly islands by clicking on them on the map.

Absolutely awsome! Oh yes! All those changes are so immersive, that the game should have had them from the beginning. Nicely done!

Had to set up my PC lately, and will definitely give the game with v1.25 another playthrough.

Oh, I have two questions.

1. In the campaign, there are infantry units as opponents. Is there a possibillity to spawn them? Like having e.g. additional infantry around enemy structures?

2. For an even harder game, would it be possible for enemy mantas and walrusses to perform long range attacks on the carrier? With long range I mean up to 2-3 km away from an island coastline. OR, well placed enemy howitzers on elevated positions near the coast. IMHO, this would give additional thrill and would force even more carefull approach to the islands.

Hi Nicoman, thanks for your comments.

Small groups of mantas attacking the carrier might be possible, I don't know about the others. I think the infantry units are a bit of a waste of space (and AI processing) as they are no threat to your units, so I wouldn't add any more of them.

I've just started playing, and have a minor issue: The progress bar in the advanced production screen is not syncronized to the one in the normal production screen. I produced a hack capsule, and the progress bar in the advanced screen was full, while the other was at approx. 85% or so.

And I fitted out a quad gun to the rear right carrier turret, and AI wont fire at enemy mantas :(. Issue or my fault?

I've just started playing, and have a minor issue: The progress bar in the advanced production screen is not syncronized to the one in the normal production screen. I produced a hack capsule, and the progress bar in the advanced screen was full, while the other was at approx. 85% or so.

It was quite tricky to get this display working as there doesn't seem to be a way to find out the actual production progress of an item, so I had to write my own timed progress from when production starts. I have generally found it to be accurate enough, but if certain things happen during production like if you exit and re-load the game, or if your production speed changes due to a change in your island count or one of your islands changes type, it might be a little inaccurate, so you should use the display just as a guide.

And I fitted out a quad gun to the rear right carrier turret, and AI wont fire at enemy mantas :(. Issue or my fault?

This is a known issue in the game itself. The mod will improve firing once you have all 5 guns fitted, but the AI is still a bit funny about what angles it will fire at a target.

Hi,

I wanted to try this mod, but how I get it to work?

I need to have the game patched to the latest 1.07.0025 version, but where I get the patch? The file doesn't exist anymore, and with patch 0023 the game immediately crash after start.

Is this a problem with the wrong patch, or is this a problem on my config? I can't try it with the correct patch.

Is there another link to the patch, or how I can use this mod?

Assuming you are playing the retail version, the patch is available here:

http://www.carriercommandaholic.com/index.php?e=page&c=files_patches&al=carrier-command-gaea-mission-beta-patch

If you have the Steam version, you can opt into the beta by going to Library > right-click carrier command > properties > betas

Assuming you are playing the retail version, the patch is available here:

http://www.carriercommandaholic.com/index.php?e=page&c=files_patches&al=carrier-command-gaea-mission-beta-patch

If you have the Steam version, you can opt into the beta by going to Library > right-click carrier command > properties > betas

Hi, thanks it works now. I like this mod. It brings more feeling of the original CC.

But you should update the link on your moding side.

"You will need to have the game patched to the latest 1.07.0025 version, available <HERE>"

It leads to the removed file.

But you should update the link on your moding side.

Done, thanks.

Hi species

I have been really enjoying your Deadly Islands mod.

I am having a consistent crash "unhandled exception" in one of the campaign missions when entering the research station on Thermopylae.

I know you focused on the strategy game mode not the campaign, but if you could have a look at the save file and see if you can fix it, that would be appreciated.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bbsb1dij4w2m665/campaign_save_user_269.save

Hi Jaxxa.

I have made a small change to the mod to fix this, please try downloading again.

Thanks for reporting.

Another bug report regarding the advanced production screen: When selecting mantas, not all items from the normal production screen are shown!! E.g. plasma, ammo box, flares. I haven't checked for carrier or walrusses, as I do not have all items yet, but would be good if you check these items too. :)

Hi nicoman.

I suspect maybe you have the "only show required items" option enabled, this will hide items from the list if there are enough either already made or in the queue to fill the carrier.

If you are certain this is not the case, can you send me a saved game where this is happening?