Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

GEO lod shapes

Hi,

when making the GEOlod for a flight of stairs, is the best method to make a lot of oblongs, each one higher than the last to fit the stairs, or to make a triangle that matches the angle of the stairs?

Then, when placing the roadway, should it go on the top egdes of each step (Visually) or through the centre part of each step?

I've also read that the GEOlod should NOT collide with the ROADWAYlod? Is this true?

Thanks guys,

Marc

PS; making GEOlods is somehow extremely satisfying, lol... :o

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Doesn't matter I found a very old thread that describes it well by Robster:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?139910-Geometry-Lod-Issue

This is an excellent thread for anyone else wanting to knwo about GEO/ROADWAY lods...

I still don't know about the "touching" part of the top of the stairs GEOLOD and the ROADWAYLOD..?

Edited by meanmachine1

Make the geolod for a stairway just a ramp. Anything in the collision volume under like .5 meters in depth will not behave properly. For collisions to appear somewhat accurate you do not have to collide with every individual stair. Also, it's important to keep the polycount of the geolod down, I think.

Make the GEOlods :5 meter and above..?

That's pretty thick isn't it..? I read on one of the O2 manual chapters to make sure it's always over 15cms, or there could be problems with travelling objects hitting it..?

" Thinner parts than 15cm cannot collide in faster speeds. Better if the geometry is larger than the model shape."

Or is that O2 manual outdated please?

Edited by meanmachine1

Nope, that was my typographical error. But, you do not have to define every step. That is only for collisions. The characters walk on the roadway lod... and even then the roadway lods are just ramps.

Edited by Max Power

Aye cheers matey.

So, could GEOlod/collisions be thought of a SOLEY horizontal collisions, and roadways are vertical if you get me..?

What would happen if someone landed on a rooftop that didnt have a roadwayLOD but only the top of a GEOlod cube?

Well, it's really easy in fact : geo lod is the one you bump into, roadway is the one you walk on. Avoid roadway to intercept geo lod if you don't want "to bump into something while walking on it".

here's an example question:

Say if you had a big cube of GEOlod, then, you place a single RAODWAYlod on the top of that cube, exactly flush with the top of the GEOlod- would that be ok..?

Gnat;2281741']No' date=' just place Roadway a little above the Geo is my experience. not much, maybe 0.05m[/quote']

Yep. I had that experience with bridges, where AI couldn't cross at normal speed as long as the roadway was touching the geo lod.

Aye cheers matey.

So, could GEOlod/collisions be thought of a SOLEY horizontal collisions, and roadways are vertical if you get me..?

What would happen if someone landed on a rooftop that didnt have a roadwayLOD but only the top of a GEOlod cube?

I'm not sure. I think units with ground contact points crashing into an object with a roadway lod will hit the roadway lod first- meaning that sometimes helicopters crashing skids down will survive pretty heinous crashing skids down... but crashing nose or side down down sometimes they only have to touch the ground and they explode (when you would expect them just to roll over). I ground contact points are the difference here.

Note: Sorry for reopening a old thread but i feel its relevant.

I'm modelling a bunch of houses for a mod, a few things ive noticed and questions i have since reading this thread are:

Initially i imported a couple of incomplete models to just ensure some sizes with the GEOLOD placed down which was the concrete slab, i could walk fine over it, but if you tried to walk backwards it would just shuffle forwards really awkwardly, im assuming that is like was said above, your walking but with each step you hit the GEOLOD, i did place a ROADWAY LOD and it seemed to be fixed.

Next step i improved the GEOLOD so that it had the internal walls, which are (50mm/5cm), and the majority of the walls are fine, but there are points where you seem to be able to clip through the wall, is that because the GELOD is to thin 5cm as opposed to the recommended 15cm? or could it be due to something else like the Roadway LOD cutting through the internal walls? I did not raise the ROADWAY LOD above the GEOLOD though, could that be causing the clipping?

My houses generally have 50mm/5cm/0.05m internal walls and 150mm/15cm external walls, should i be looking to make the internal walls thicker? I'm assuming the established way is to just leave the Resolution LODS and thicken the GEOLOD

Roadway cutting through wont be an issue.

Too thin walls WILL be an issue.

Make the wall a little thicker than they are in the REsolution LODs as it won't matter that much. When you walk into a wall you can't really tell if your EXaCTLY touching the real wall or not.

If all your rooms are tiny, then thicker wall might only be a problem then.