Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

Major Texture Troubles

You can see here [iMAGE] I have very high settings enabled. I never have any performance problems thanks to a fairly powerful system overall. Even with a solid frame rate my textures will very often lose all quality and fidelity, turning into something like this [iMAGE]. I realize these are not the best pictures, so if you have any questions or need any further pictures please ask!

I do not know what to do since everything is already turned up to maximum settings. I get the feeling the game is automatically adjusting my visual fidelity for whatever reason. Maybe the game is under the impression my system is unstable or running poorly. As you can imagine, this is quite annoying. The game can look quite good, but it is always changing the level of detail on me so I cannot enjoy it.

GTX 570 Classified Edition (OCed)

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb 45nm

12GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

M4-CT256M4SSD2

MSI 870A-G54

Oh and what setting should I choose for "Video Memory"? Very High or Default?

Thank you for your valuable time.

I should add this does not just affect the player model as shown in the screenshots above. This affects literally every texture on everything, even the terrain.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Default. I think it autodetects.

Also you might consider consulting your mipmap settings in your drivers software.

Default. I think it autodetects.

Okay thank you I will set that now.

Also you might consider consulting your mipmap settings in your drivers software.

The only setting I see at all relevant to mipmaps is "Negative LOD Bias". Nvidia says in the tooltip "set to Clamp when anisotropic filtering is enabled for better image quality". I do already have it set to Clamp. The other option is Allow and it says this gives higher performance at the cost of quality. Texture Filter Quality is also set to High Quality.

This is the only application I have ever experienced this in.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

I had the same effect (highest LOD took some time to load or even not loading at all) when video memory was set to high instead of default

Yeah but what's weird is it doesn't look like a LOD problem. For example MTVRs will still have circular tires instead of the low LOD square tires. Basically the models are still normal quality from what I can tell. It is just the textures that are negatively affected.

What do you use in the Nv Control panel? Why dont you use AA in game? Is FXAA on in your Nv Cp? Your Rez(19/10) and your settings on VH with only 1GB+ of Vidram is pushing it. It looks like your using AA(transparency) from the nv Cp. Try only in game? Also make sure your PCI-e Slot for your vidcard is set to 16?

What do you use in the Nv Control panel? Why dont you use AA in game? Is FXAA on in your Nv Cp? Your Rez(19/10) and your settings on VH with only 1GB+ of Vidram is pushing it. It looks like your using AA(transparency) from the nv Cp. Try only in game? Also make sure your PCI-e Slot for your vidcard is set to 16?

I am using PPAA in game. It looks just as good as actual AA with half the performance cost. My Nvidia driver does not have forced AA on, though I am forcing x8 supersample transparency. I will try turning that off, but I'm pretty sure that will not affect this problem as actual AA is not enabled in game, only the post processing AA is enabled. My GPU will only fit into PCI-e x16 slots. I doubt it is set to anything other than that, but how would I check to be sure?

Out of curiosity, how can you tell I am using AA transparency in the driver? Is it that noticeable?

Hmm well it definitely is not alright. Could it be some sort of LOD issue?

Nope it's a mipmapping issue, which is sort of like LODs for textures. Try setting your video memory on something lower or reducing the texture quality setting.

Try setting video memory to "default".

I remember reading that "very high" sets it to a fixed value but "default" just uses as much VRAM as possible, and by that possibly exceeding the "very high" setting.

If that doesn't work, just flush every time it happens, I guess.

Edited by HatBuster

Nope it's a mipmapping issue, which is sort of like LODs for textures. Try setting your video memory on something lower or reducing the texture quality setting.
Try setting video memory to "default".

I remember reading that "very high" sets it to a fixed value but "default" just uses as much VRAM as possible, and by that possibly exceeding the "very high" setting.

If that doesn't work, just flush every time it happens, I guess.

Okay thank you guys I will try setting it to Default when I get home. If that doesn't work I'll try every video memory option before turning down texture quality. I will report back here with my findings.