Sign in to follow this  
beno_83au

Helo auto height

I'm trying to make a mission that involves a helo insertion with you as the pilot of a Blackhawk. Your supposed to hover above a castle while the guys inside get out and go down the castle.

My problem is this; the castle is on a kind of a hill (not the everon one, a wrpedit map - orangeland) and I get myself at about the right height before flying towards the castle, its about 40?? but anyway. As I begin to fly over the rising ground, towards the castle, the chopper adjusts its height automatically to stay at 40 (above the ground), and then when I get to the castle, well, I get a rapid altitude boost above sea level because its trying to maintain 40 (above the top of the castle now), and trying to correct my alttitude is tricky. I got close enough for one guy to jump out before banging half the helo on the castle, then exploding. biggrin.gif

Does anyone know whats going on here, or how I can fix it. I don't know why it does that because I'm the pilot?? I also tried setting the flyinheight to 0, but to no avail. Any help is appreciated muchly.

Oh yeeah. There's no other flyinheight commands on any wp's, except for my attempt at putting flyinheight 0 in it's init, and I start on the ground.

Why not use flyinheight 5 when entering trigger area around castle ?

I mean, you can t go much higher for them jumping out without injuries.

Just make a trigger that chopper flies at hight 5 close to castle.

In you waypoints be sure to switch from speed full or normal to limited ! or your chopper is gonna overshoot mountain.

Try that.

Cheers

There could be a solution i stumbled over by accident:

Insert a helo landing pad (invisible H) with setpos (x,y,40)

in the area where the helo needs to hover. Use the "helo land "getout"" command for the helicopter to hover over the desired spot.

You need to test it. It happened to me when I fiddled around with the helo pad (Reproduceable?). You just have to try.

Cheers

JAP thanks, but I already knew about that stuff and I'm the one flyin so overshooting isnt a problem, the helo just tried to maintain a constant height above the ground, but thanks for tryin.

And basilisk, although I was trying to do it as the pilot as sort of a lead in mission, your help could turn out to be very handy. I'll scrap the other one and have the AI fly the copper, with the player as a passenger.

THANKS.

u need to use a stick with a throttle to avoid that auto-height feature...

Looks like I'll have to avoid flying this mission and use AI, but setpos (x,y,40) didn't work, I kept getting messages saying I was missing brakets everywhere, I tried using this/helo1 setpos (x,y,40) but no luck?

unitname setpos [x,y,40]

RED

Ahh, wrong brakets. Thansk I'll try that.