Sign in to follow this  
Tovarish

Fellow flight sim junkies, i need suggestions

Hey guys, well, here's the deal. Before OFP came along, about the same time I started college and readed in my 486sx/25 for a Pentium III 733 (Overclocked to 900), I hardly ever touched FPS's. I was a flight sim junkie all the way, the more realistic and challenging the sim the better (my favourites were Falcon 3.0 and Su-27 1.5). Lately, long after finishing the original 1985 Campaign and Red Hammer, I've been itching to get back into the virtual cockpit, and I want to buy the best flight sim out there, so how about you help me decide what it is and why? Gere's what I'm looking for in a sim:

Realism

Dynamic Campaign

Good Graphics

Good AI (I don't want to be able to predict exactly what the AI will do after the first few dogfights)

Realism

Good Multiplayer

Preferably some Eastern planes to fly (Hey I grew up with MiG's flying around my hometown)

Right now I'm leaning towards byuing Il-2. I love WW2 flight simms, and here's finally one that focuses on the Eastern Front, but alas I still don't know much about it.

So, your homework assignment for today is to inform me about your fabourite Flight sim. Let me know what the best thing out there is, and why.

You can download a demo for IL2. I think you'll like it. It's very realistic, but the graphics aren't that good.

I know its not exactly new any more but, Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2 is not exactly new anymore but its still a great game and the graphics are good. IL 2 is also a great game.

I have Combat Flight Simulater 2, and it was pretty cool.The graphics are pretty good.I like how they textured the bullet holes.Also, i tryed the IL-2 demo.It was alittle more relistic.

CFS2=Arcade

IL-2=Realistic and MUCH better grafics and features.

hmm... the last sim I ever played was F-15/Longbow 2 but I really only heard of a few eastern sims since then and I think they have both been mentioned.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ June 29 2002,02:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey guys, well, here's the deal. Before OFP came along, about the same time I started college and readed in my 486sx/25 for a Pentium III 733 (Overclocked to 900), I hardly ever touched FPS's. I was a flight sim junkie all the way, the more realistic and challenging the sim the better (my favourites were Falcon 3.0 and Su-27 1.5). Lately, long after finishing the  original 1985 Campaign and Red Hammer, I've been itching to get back into the virtual cockpit, and I want to buy the best flight sim out there, so how about you help me decide what it is and why? Gere's what I'm looking for in a sim:

Realism

Dynamic Campaign

Good Graphics

Good AI (I don't want to be able to predict exactly what the AI will do after the first few dogfights)

Realism

Good Multiplayer

Preferably some Eastern planes to fly (Hey I grew up with MiG's flying around my hometown)

Right now I'm leaning towards byuing Il-2. I love WW2 flight simms, and here's finally one that focuses on the Eastern Front, but alas I still don't know much about it.

So, your homework assignment for today is to inform me about your fabourite Flight sim. Let me know what the best thing out there is, and why.<span id='postcolor'>

Well in combat i always played my old Total Air War from the 350 mhz age old but still challenging to run from a fight with 5 MiG's.

There you fly the Raptor.

Otherwise if you are desperate for Eastern planes well wait for Lock on: Modern air combat. you can fly many planes there.

Homework complete.

yea, i forgto to ad, IL-2 does have some really nice graphics.I like how you can get your widescreen shot out, or some panels to.Plus i like, if you do a head on, you dont instanly blow up, like in CFS2.

il2mfw2.jpg

He111hurt.jpg

*drools*

upclose.jpg

wow.gif OMG!, they even have the Polikarov I-16, I've had a thing for this plane ever since I was a little kid...sure it's kinda ugly and was obsolete when the war started, but it still managed to shoot down quite a few Bf-109's.

Ladies and Gentlemen I think we have a winner, I may just go and buy this baby tomorrow wink.gif.

PS, I was thinking of Lock On, but I really don't feel like waiting till it's done smile.gif

Be sure to download all the patches, or else you'll miss out on alot of the planes, including the I-16.

BTW, the FW-190A8 is the best tounge.gif

Just so you know IL-2 doesn't have a dynamic campaign. If that's your holy grail the only kid on the block really is F4. You need to get the 1.08 patch and then SP3. With the SP3 added it's a brand new sim. Almost every switch in the cockpit is modelled and all the systems as well. Hell if you decide to do a ramp start with realistic INS you need to wait 10-20 minutes for the INS to warm up and to zero in smile.gif That's how in depth it is.

IL-2 is amazing, but the campaign is a little lacking. The only thing I don't like is that it's a WWII sim and they always remind me how much I suck at ACM smile.gif

COLINMAN

I dont think the I 16 is flyable tho...

My favorite part of Il2 is making an emergency landing, having your plane catch on fire, then hopping out and diving for cover. thats atmosphere for you smile.gif

And the graphics are a wonder to behold. The campaign kinda sucks though. But everything else is great

IL-2 is the only sim I've ever done a split S too low and belly-flopped the plane and survived smile.gif Any other sim you touch the ground, boom instant death, but in IL-2 you can survive. Touch a wing on the ground and you could tear off the tip of the wing, but limp the plane home, etc. Just wish the campaign was better. The dynamic mission generator is good, but it isn't perfect and often the timing of the flights are off, I often finish a cap and my ai teamates are landing when the bombers finally show up.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ June 29 2002,08:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IL-2 is the only sim I've ever done a split S too low and belly-flopped the plane and survived smile.gif Any other sim you touch the ground, boom instant death, but in IL-2 you can survive. Touch a wing on the ground and you could tear off the tip of the wing, but limp the plane home, etc. Just wish the campaign was better. The dynamic mission generator is good, but it isn't perfect and often the timing of the flights are off, I often finish a cap and my ai teamates are landing when the bombers finally show up.

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

I remember the first time I played the demo: I was between joysticks, so all I had was the keyboard. I coaxed the 109 into the air... and promptly stalled, flipped, and ran into the ground. I went out and got my new joystick the next day smile.gif

I used to be a flight sim junkie as well. I have only bought FPS games in the past little while, so the most recent flight sim I have is Microsoft's CFS2. The graphics are great and the flight engine is realistic. My favorite modern flight sim is 'F/A-18 Korea', it came out a while ago. The graphics were good and the flight engine was very realistic. For some reason, it didn't sell, it was very underrated.

I would get Il2, but flight sims just don't turn me on like they used to......I need a good A-10 simulator.

P.S.

Does anyone remember the 'Air Warrior' series?  biggrin.gif

Tyler

A-10 is your game eh? Well then LOMAC looks pretty sweet. The release has been pushed back to Jan 03, but I'm willing to wait. This fall Falcon Operation Instant Resolve is coming out and it's best described as Falcon 4.5. It's an official comercial release and is built on SP3 with a new DX8 graphics engine. It will have a fully modelled A-10 as well. Now imagine that. A-10 action within the Falcon campaign biggrin.gif I can't wait.

COLINMAN

The A-10 is definately my game. Janes had a promising one , but it was cancelled.

Modern dogfighting bores me when it is put into simulators, I like to get down and dirty with big guns, but not in a WW2 environment: Enter the A-10. biggrin.gif

Tyler

Ahhh my still known flight sim days... my nick was developed there.

Strike Commander ignited my anger and made me do the worst shotdown of a Learjet. (the boss in the game)

And by worst i mean tearing the Learjet up into at least 1 billion pieces and scattering it over miles of dense jungle.

WW2 sims i don't feel for, too slow so IL-2 and CFS 2 is not an option for me, but put me in a modern jet and watch the bad guys go down.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ June 29 2002,09:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Modern dogfighting bores me when it is put into simulators, I like to get down and dirty with big guns, but not in a WW2 environment: Enter the A-10.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You remember the old school A10 Attack! from Parsoft? I loved that flight model and physics engine. Old school. and the Guantanamo Bay missions were cool too. Anyone remember that game?

Yeah I had the demo for that I played that for hours. It must have been the first flight sim with damage not just exploding. Man that was a cool game... too bad it didnt have any textures.

Screw textures... at the time those graphics were top of the line lol. besides, that physics model was a beautiful thing- I remember experimenting with belly slides tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ June 29 2002,08:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">'F/A-18 Korea'<span id='postcolor'>

OH! I thought I was the only person who ever played that game  biggrin.gif  I agree that it didn't get the attention it deserved. It had a perfect mix of realism and good gameplay, i.e. not beeing too realistic and boring. I had loads of fun playing it almost constantly for a year or so. I sometimes managed to fly through a hangar (in one door, out the other) without hitting it, or make a loop that would go under the Seoul bridge biggrin.gif

And it had nukes too! tounge.gif

I highly recommend you to wait for LO-MAC (if you have a high end computer)

062920028363858.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OMG!, they even have the Polikarov I-16, I've had a thing for this plane ever since I was a little kid...sure it's kinda ugly and was obsolete when the war started, but it still managed to shoot down quite a few Bf-109's.

<span id='postcolor'>

If the I-16 is flyable i'm gonna buy the game ASAP! It was the best fighter the Republic had in the Spanish Civil War, and could outfight the first versions of the bf-109 (unless they had German aces on them, that's it).

Dayglow, i remember F-22 ADF supported ditching too. It's great to land your F-22 in the desert after taking missile hits and survive smile.gif