Sign in to follow this  
GetParanoid

Good server specs?

Hello! I'm looking to build my own server, and I'm wondering if these specs would be good for my ARMA server:

AMD FX-4100 4 Cores / 4 threads 3.6Ghz / 3.8Ghz Turbo

Main Hard Drive 500GB Hard Drive

RAM 16GB RAM

Operating System Windows 08 R2 Standard

Network: 100Mbits

NOTE: I will be running more than one server with this, not just ARMA, but other games aswell

Edited by GetParanoid

The CPU isn't nearly strong enough for any decent server and you don't mention the network connection. That's very important too.

Alright, what about if i change the CPU to a Intel Xeon E3-1220 4 Cores x 3.1 GHz (3.4 Turbo Boost). And the Network is 100Mbits

That's a much better processor. The network connection looks OK too.

What access do you have to the machine? Is it actually your machine that you have physical access to? Or does it live somewhere else? I'm asking because if you don't have actually access to it, you really need remote desktop.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Oh wait.. when you say the network is 100mbits, do you mean the actual network card or the bandwidth available on it's internet connection?

The ArmA2/ArmA2OA dedicated server uses only 2 cores, but do note it can easily lock 1 core at 100%( usually AI and scripts on 1 core ). You might find running other servers on the machine, a challenge.

The ArmA2/ArmA2OA dedicated server more prefers more Ghz, than cores as well. So, between that Xeon and AMD cpu, not only which produces the most speed, whichever has the most, and larger L1, L2, and L3 cache. If that AMD cpu doesn't have an L3 cache, than that Xeon will be faster. I'm running a Xeon E3110 (6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB), and it can and does struggle, from time to time.

Harddrives are inconsequential, I'm running a Crucial 128GB SSD, it just loads a bit quicker.

The biggie is which OS to run, Winders or Linux, winders is purely a cruddy server OS. If you do opt to run Winders, at least get a server variant, strip it down to nothing, and run everything with the PowerShell. Linux shines in the server department. I chose Linux here, OpenSUSE 12.1 to be specific.

As far as connection speeds are concerned, 4Mbps upload can be configured to support 16 players.

The Arma2/Arma2OA server rarely uses more than 1GB of ram, I have personally seen it hit 1.2GB running Benny's Warfare with alot of AI. So 16GB is overkill there too.

...Syn...

Edited by VisceralSyn
dang gumbed typos...

No, I don't have physical access to it, it will be living somewhere else, and the internet connection is 100Mpbs download and 100Mpbs upload.

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:57 ----------

The ArmA2/ArmA2OA dedicated server uses only 2 cores, but do note it can easily lock 1 core at 100%( usually AI and scripts on 1 core ). You might find running other servers on the machine, a challenge.

The ArmA2/ArmA2OA dedicated server more prefers more Ghz, than cores as well. So, between that Xeon and AMD cpu, not only which produces the most speed, whichever has the most, and larger L1, L2, and L3 cache. If that AMD cpu doesn't have an L3 cache, than that Xeon will be faster. I'm running a Xeon E3110 (6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB), and it can and does struggle, from time to time.

Harddrives are inconsequential, I'm running a Crucial 128GB SSD, it just loads a bit quicker.

The biggie is which OS to run, Winders or Linux, winders is purely a cruddy server OS. If you do opt to run Winders, at least get a server variant, strip it down to nothing, and run everything with the PowerShell. Linux shines in the server department. I chose Linux here, OpenSUSE 12.1 to be specific.

As far as connection speeds are concerned, 4Mbps upload can be configured to support 16 players.

The Arma2/Arma2OA server rarely uses more than 1GB of ram, I have personally seen it hit 1.2GB running Benny's Warfare with alot of AI. So 16GB is overkill there too.

...Syn...

They both seem to have the same cache, which is 8MB each, I'll probably go with Linux then, just what Linux should i go with?

Linux distro will have to be a newer one, since the binary is compiled with GLIBCXX_3.4.15.

OpenSUSE 12.1 has it, you may have to check around for other distros.

...Syn..

Oh no. Here we go again. Can I come and play on your server, Visceral? No, I can't because it's either running an outdated version of the game, or a botched beta that going to crash every few minutes.

There's nothing wrong with Windows for this game. In fact, if you want to run a 1.62 server, you've no choice. The linux server executable is weeks behind. Yes, get a server version, 2008 Rc Web edition is good value.

BIS has released 2 beta 1.62 ArmA2OAserver's, the first one had some hiccups with gamespy, the second one does not.

My server runs perfectly fine. No, you cannot come play on my server because yer whining like a little bitch again.

If you have a problem with the Linux server, that's you, and your problem.

...Syn...

At the moment, I run Windows but I have run Linux in the past. Given the current situation, I'm glad I'm using Windows, but who knows what the situation will be in a week, a month, a year?

I don't have a problem with Linux server any more than I do with the Windows one. I really wish BI would get their shit together so that those who want to run linux can do so. I'm pro choice. Are you?

winders is purely a cruddy server OS.

Again, whining....

BIS' act is together, you are bitchin about what they give away for free.

Whichever Server OS you run, that totally up to you. I am not pro choice, anytime I can run a Linux server ( certain Racing Sims leave me with none ), I will. Winders sucks in the server department.

...Syn...

Again, whining....

BIS' act is together, you are bitchin about what they give away for free.

Whichever Server OS you run, that totally up to you. I am not pro choice, anytime I can run a Linux server ( certain Racing Sims leave me with none ), I will. Winders sucks in the server department.

...Syn...

Windows is a pretty good Server OS aswell as Linux both have there pro's and con's :P

If Windows sucked so much they wouldn't turn an eleventy billion dollar profit every year.

As Marek himself has said, Arma is built for Windows, Linux is only supplied as a small side-project.

Arma dedi server on Windows is much easier to maintain IMHO, the only downside is we don't have a version of that nice Linux console to start/stop/change the modline etc.