Sign in to follow this  
ricogs400

Optimal settings based on hardware

Is there any more word from BIS on if they will make a chart of recommended settings depending on your hardware for Arma3?

I saw in a few articles and interviews that the the devs mentioned that they want to offer a better way to configure the multiple settings for performance. He specifically said how certain settings perform better on the GPU and others on the CPU, so it would be nice to see a chart that said the best setting depending on your hardware.

If they could give a range of brands/models of GPU's, CPU's, and RAM. Then say what setting works best with each hardware. For example, they said a certain shadows setting work best on GPU, but increasing that puts more on the CPU or the other way.

I only have so much time to play the game, let alone hours and hours trying out the hundreds of combinations of settings.

An example for anti aliasing:

They could refer to a site that benchmarks hardware, like http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ and say if you're above a GTX560ti, then set AA for High, if you're between 560ti to 460, then set to Medium, etc.

I was just thinking about posting something like this. I remember a dev said that setting shadows to medium in A2 would use the CPU, but setting it to high would use the GPU. Not that it really mattered;Lighting sucks in Arma II.

Yeah a chart or a guide like this would be very helpful, especially to newcomers. I know that it was a real pain to research all the tweaks/tricks and what not in order to get my game running smooth enough. Saving others from that experience would be beneficial.

Well from ym experience it should not be as diffuclt to pick hardware for arma 3 as it was for arma 2. if you had beautiful perforamce on 2 your fine for 3. But yeah I suppose a chart would be nice i've done a lot of testing and researching for ideal hardware and performance. But, in the end im just going to buy the best and let what I don't need sit idle.

The reqs discussion is not so much what I'm talking about.

I'm more interested in the devs recommendations for what settings work best with the hardware. Having the right hardware in Arma2 is only the beginning. It's getting the settings right that takes the most work. I think most of us would like their inside knowledge to get the best performance and what or if there are tradeoffs for setting one option higher or lower. Even just a good solid description of every option would be nice and how it might affect performance. I'm not sure what I'm setting on some of them and don't feel like googling every setting.

That guide is a great start and I'm sure would benefit a lot of users of Arma2 and 3.

thanks coulum and maddog.

Even now after 2 years of Arma 2 , i still constantly tinker with settings to get decent performance, so a guide or explanation like that would be PERFECT.