Sign in to follow this  
mr1337

Looking for affordable server host

I'm in need of a 16-slot private server to be used several times per week (but empty for the majority of the time). GameServers.com is too expensive for my tastes, and I can't seem to find a good affordable server host.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Or perhaps any server hosts here that can give me a good deal?

nfo servers are really affordable and never lag, I got 150 slot TS, website and a 40 slot server for $102.00 a month

I do like the price per slot at NFO - but the minimum I can choose is 32 slots. Is there anywhere I can get a 16-slot one?

I do like the price per slot at NFO - but the minimum I can choose is 32 slots. Is there anywhere I can get a 16-slot one?

At that slot rate they wouldn't. Would not make sense with the resources it takes to run a ArmA2 server.

At that slot rate they wouldn't. Would not make sense with the resources it takes to run a ArmA2 server.

What are the specs for 16 or 32 ?

I'm new to Arma2 but a Director of IT in a data center. Started working on a Linux server following the 1.10 instructions using only 1G of ram right now for testing.

Also mr1337 they have vps servers at myhostingdotcom for around 20$, but I dont know if possible to run like 16 slot on that specs. I dont work for them

Edited by Wulvgar

Never (no realy! NEVER) use Virtual Machines as a Server! More lag than fun! U should know that. Multiple Clients/Windows at one Core/Machine. Thx alot.

Never (no realy! NEVER) use Virtual Machines as a Server! More lag than fun! U should know that. Multiple Clients/Windows at one Core/Machine. Thx alot.

untrue

running 60 man server with 1.5G dedicated RAM. NOT all virtual servers are shared resources. They can be dedicated. The SAN is faster then any physical server anyways. Heck of allot more I/O speed

ZERO LAG, players brag how smooth my linux server runs all the time

Even when server full server only uses about 1.2G of ram

I use VPS just dandy. I have the more expensive option from 1And1.com right now, but people could slide by with probably the mid or even low range option for ARMA 2, depending on what you are running.

Whatever you do, don't go with there "First 3 months free!" option. If you do, your are stuck in a year agreement. If you go monthly payments right from the get go, I believe you can cancel and get a refund within the first three months.

http://www.1and1.com/vps-hosting?__lf=Static&linkOrigin=&linkId=hd.subnav.virtualservers

You want to look for a Xen based VPS, not a KVM or similar style... Xen based is much harder to over subscribe...

You're going to need about 2.0-2.5ghz of cpu, and 1.5 gigs of memory to run a 16 slot server... you should be able to find this with Linux for around $30 a month, and with Windows around $50. (Also Amazon EC2 is a good option)

And trust me you get a lot more flexibility hosting your own server.

If you need a hand picking a host or any of the technical details, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help you out.