Sign in to follow this  
rangoon

X Rotate and Y Rotate dead zone

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the dead zone for these two axes? I have been adjusting the sensitivity values in my profile, as well as in the control GUI in game. After finding various posts around the web (including Beagle's numbers), I am happy enough with the sensitivity and dead zone of the X and Y axes. However, I can't find a way to adjust the dead zone of the X and Y rotate axes at all. I have tried all values between 0.1 and 10.0, but the dead zone seems stuck at roughly 50%. I use these axes for forward and reverse while driving ground vehicles (they are the toe brakes of my pedals, so roughly like a gas pedal and brake pedal). The problem is that I have to go half way forward on either pedal before anything happens. Adjusting values in the profile file seems basically useless unless you mean to adjust positive and negative values separately. If not, then the in-game GUI works just fine.

If I can adjust the dead zone of X and Y through the sensitivity value, it stands to reason that I can adjust the dead zone of X and Y rotate. But I can't seem to do this. Is there a way?

EDIT: for what it's worth, the Z rotate axis also responds fine to dead zone changes with sensitivity changes. And none of my axes have a dead zone in the controller software (CH Control Manager). I also tried Analogue Thrust and Brake, which did nothing in the ground vehicles. The X and Y rotate should act just like the throttle (Z axis), because there is no center point.

Edited by rangoon

I don't totally get what's your problem but I use ch products too (pro throttle, fighter stick and pedals) and they work well for planes and helicopters. Is your problem only with wheeled vehicles or do you have troubles with planes too ?

EDIT: Just tried in the editor, yes at best you have a 50% deadzone, it can only get higher I don't think it can be fixed though. Since you use the ch control manager you can maybe create a map for your controller with the slider starting at a different position, you can ask for this in the CH products forum, they are nice and willing to help.

Edited by jackrabbitslim7

That's actually a great idea, Jackrabbitslim7 - I have had to do things like that with these in the past. For example, I have a button my controller I use to reverse the throttle on the fly. So it's forward positive on jets/fixed-wing and forward negative on helicopters. There must be a way to force the toe brakes to start where the zero position is actually 50%. I could calibrate it that way, but then I would have to recalibrate for each game... I am sure with CMS I can tell it that zero is 50% and 100% is 100%.

And yes, it's fine in helicopters and other aircraft. I only use the toe brakes as FWD and REV in ground vehicles.

You don't have to recalibrate for each game, you can create different maps (or one for arma and no map for the others games you have) and use the little cm control center (it's a small utility in the taskbar) to launch the desired map before launching the game. I have one map per game (fsx xplane arma il2) and i use it to switch between maps.

You don't have to recalibrate for each game, you can create different maps (or one for arma and no map for the others games you have) and use the little cm control center (it's a small utility in the taskbar) to launch the desired map before launching the game. I have one map per game (fsx xplane arma il2) and i use it to switch between maps.

Yes, I have dozens of CH maps for all of my games/sims. What I meant was that you could "trick" it with the calibration routine, but you would then have to recalibrate when you went to a different game because you don't want the other games to think that the zero point is actually half way. Calibration is not map specific, but global, not to mention less accurate trying to guess where half way is.

It was simple enough to solve with CMS. I just added this:

cms.a2 = 128 + (js3.a1/2);

cms.a3 = 128 + (js3.a2/2);

to my script with the throttle axis swap and voila! Works like a charm. I just had to set a CMS axis for each one, rather than the usual axis.

The dead zone is actually slightly larger than 50%, because I still have a little throw in the pedal before it kicks in. But a very manageable amount, and the math is easy this way. :)

I am happy enough with the sensitivity and dead zone of the X and Y axes.

However, I can't find a way to adjust the dead zone of the X and Y rotate axes at all.

1. What is the dead zone?

2. What is the difference between the (X and Y axis) and the (X and Y rotate axis)?

3. Are you referring to a joy stick?

1. What is the dead zone?

A dead zone is an area of the control movement which is designed to NOT register any value (or a value of zero). So you move the controller (such as a "joystick") from center but it doesn't do anything. Normally this is helpful if a centering controller is not holding its calibration or otherwise just not precise around the null point. Keeps unintentional movements down. But if you have high-quality controllers and some finesse, there is no need for it. It just makes control inputs less precise because to go from one side of center to the other, you have to pass through this dead zone. In a jet, you couldn't smoothly go nose up to nose down. You would go nose up, then nothing, then nose down. And from center, you would have to move the stick a certain distance before anything would happen.

2. What is the difference between the (X and Y axis) and the (X and Y rotate axis)?

At least with my setup in ArmA 2, the X axis is left and right on the joystick, Y is forward and backward on the joystick. X Rotate is the left toe brake on my pedals and Y Rotate is the right toe brake. Z axis is the throttle (forward/backward) and Z Rotate is pedals left and right (rudder/tail rotor).

3. Are you referring to a joy stick?

It's a HOTAS setup. CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and Multi Function Panel. The Fighterstick is a joystick.