Sign in to follow this  
cslayer211

Arma 2: Combined Operations Possible FADE Kicking in on Legal Copy?

I just recently got back into Arma 2 and decided to re-install my copy of Combined Operations. I thought everything went well, first I installed the 1.50 - 1.60 patch, which for some reason worked, but never updated the regular Arma 2 to 1.05 or 1.011 so I had to install those patches after installing 1.60. After that was done I was able to go in game and do whatever I wanted, like the accuracy wasn't off or anything, but I noticed that whenever I increased the speed of the game with the + and - keys there was a liquefy effect on the screen for a couple seconds until I turn off the speed increase and then it go's away.

My copy is not a boot leg version, and the only thing I can think of is that I have installed this on my previous HDD (I now have an SSD) and that previous system is long gone and I won't be able to uninstall it from there. Can anyone give me any solutions, or is that effect normal if you increase the speed of the game?

I'm also noticing some stuttering and texture pop-in, not sure if this is apart of FADE or not.

Edited by cslayer211

I'm also noticing some stuttering and texture pop-in, not sure if this is apart of FADE or not.

Probably not. You need to optimise your settings. Bring viewdistance down and turn off post processing and anti-aliasing.

When you moved to the SSD, did you do a complete new install of the OS and game? That's always best.

Yes, it was a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate. I installed Arma 2 first then Combined Operations. I now really notice the screen distortion from the FADE DRM, it's really annoying considering I have a legit copy of Arma 2. What am I doing wrong?

Also here are is exactly what's happening in my game, the screen distorts, and my aim is slightly off when shooting.

Hmmm, that does look odd. Have you ever been randomly changed into a bird? That's another known effect.

only cure for fade is a reinstall I think.

playing on a lan with only one serial caused it for me in the original operation flashpoint.

make sure you spell the keys right.

Well I'm sorry to say that I did a complete re-install of it and that distortion of my screen still happens. Sometimes I can't even open the action or gear menu, and my reload key gets remapped to enter.

This is serious BS because I have a legit copy, and the sad thing is that I bet pirates don't even have the DEGRADE issues because a crack fixes it... should I contact BIS somehow or what?

I bet pirates don't even have the DEGRADE issues because a crack fixes it

Umm no it doesn't, and the fact you're aware of and talking about pirates and cracks for our games does not lead to less suspicion as to the cause of your problems.

A legal install of our games with no other "internet" versions installed previously, plus the legally purchased key installed correctly and then the game properly patched to the latest version will not result in degrade.

Umm no it doesn't, and the fact you're aware of and talking about pirates and cracks for our games does not lead to less suspicion as to the cause of your problems.

A legal install of our games with no other "internet" versions installed previously, plus the legally purchased key installed correctly and then the game properly patched to the latest version will not result in degrade.

Hi Plecebo, I was saying this as an assumption as pirates usually find ways around DRM (usually the always online type) and the people who legally buy are sometimes the ones who bear the brunt.

I can tell you that I have a legally purchased copy of Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead, I have been playing Arma since 2009 (I believe it was mainly the demo) and purchased it in 2010. I just recently broke out my copies after this DayZ fad that has been going on.

Here is what I own

http://i50.tinypic.com/f42n41.jpg (764 kB)

here is a link to my Steam account, I buy all my games

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cslayer211

I really don't know what's wrong with it, but I've re-installed and nothing is working. I first applied patch 1.09 for Arma 2, then 1.11. I then installed Operation Arrowhead and applied 1.60 patch. DEGRADE is still kicking in.

I also noticed you said that any "previously" installed pirated copies of Arma 2 would lead to this problem, however I have not pirated this game ever, and it would be illogical for that to be the cause of my problems as this is a completely fresh install of Windows 7 on a new SSD/HDD.

Edited by cslayer211

Hi Plecebo, I was saying this as an assumption as pirates usually find ways around DRM (usually the always online type) and the people who legally buy are sometimes the ones who bear the brunt.

Ok fair enough :)

I also noticed you said that any "previously" installed pirated copies of Arma 2 would lead to this problem, however I have not pirated this game ever, and it would be illogical for that to be the cause of my problems as this is a completely fresh install of Windows 7 on a new SSD/HDD.

That was more a pre-emptive suggest rather than an accusation, some people somehow forget that they had an "other" version installed once upon a time.

When you uninstalled did you delete all registry entries etc. before installing with the installer running as admin? If you're following the proper procedure for install/patching there is no reason degrade would kick in and I cannot recall any other similar reports to yours in all the years since a degrade system was included, it activates for a specific reason.

The only thing I can suggest is obviously the full uninstall, all reg entries deleted etc. etc. etc. install A2 first (as admin) patch to the latest version or if Steam let it update (running steam as admin) then try just A2 on its own and make sure it's ok before installing OA and doing the same.

Ok fair enough :)

That was more a pre-emptive suggest rather than an accusation, some people somehow forget that they had an "other" version installed once upon a time.

When you uninstalled did you delete all registry entries etc. before installing with the installer running as admin? If you're following the proper procedure for install/patching there is no reason degrade would kick in and I cannot recall any other similar reports to yours in all the years since a degrade system was included, it activates for a specific reason.

The only thing I can suggest is obviously the full uninstall, all reg entries deleted etc. etc. etc. install A2 first (as admin) patch to the latest version or if Steam let it update (running steam as admin) then try just A2 on its own and make sure it's ok before installing OA and doing the same.

Well on my first install I'm not sure I patched it right because once I had CO installed, OA was at 1.60 but Arma 2 was somehow still at 1.01. I assumed that was why FADE was kicking in, so I re-installed (although I didn't mess with the registry, don't want to explode my computer). I thought everything was fine, I didn't see any signs of FADE once I loaded it up with proper patching (although there is no for sure message that says FADE is enabled/disabled so I wouldn't have known if I didn't notice the effects.) After I installed a couple of mods like ACE, U.S. SOCOM, JSRS, WarFX Blastcore, SLX, SMK etc. I noticed in game that there was that distortion water effect on my screen. I don't think the mods could have triggered it, but I'll try playing vanilla for a while to see if there is any FADE.

When playing DayZ, I also noticed a message that said "illegal copies may degrade" in the bottom left hand corner. I also don't think I can let Steam update it because I have the retail version of the game. I notice that the action menu and other buttons sometimes don't work, is this also a side effect of DEGRADE?

I don't think I ran the installer from the CD as admin either, but I don't believe I need to either because I have UAC disabled.

I had the weirdest thing happen once.

My first Steam installation was on a computer that had tons of VRAM and memory leak problems with ArmA, and I once started a helicopter mission only to have the screen flash and read out, "Illegal copies may degrade."

It has never happened since.

Well it's still happening, i'm not sure what I can do at this point. I'm also having some really weird motion blur bugs where the red dot site and many other objects look really weird when turning or moving (not sure if it's related to DEGRADE or not.)

When playing DayZ, I also noticed a message that said "illegal copies may degrade" in the bottom left hand corner. I also don't think I can let Steam update it because I have the retail version of the game. I notice that the action menu and other buttons sometimes don't work, is this also a side effect of DEGRADE?

I don't think I ran the installer from the CD as admin either, but I don't believe I need to either because I have UAC disabled.

Hmm it seems I also have a Fade issue with other problems. Now that I read this I also starting noticing issues since I played the Alpha mod Dayz for a few weeks. Now I cant even play online anymore because the AI simply wont detect me as a player (as if i'm not there) also trackIR is broken. I have legit Steam copies as well + that I never have cheated or used hacks and stuff.

Hmm it seems I also have a Fade issue with other problems. Now that I read this I also starting noticing issues since I played the Alpha mod Dayz for a few weeks. Now I cant even play online anymore because the AI simply wont detect me as a player (as if i'm not there) also trackIR is broken. I have legit Steam copies as well + that I never have cheated or used hacks and stuff.

Well I guess it's not just me then. Although I was thinking that I triggered the intrusive DRM by having the game installed on my other HDD, and then switching to a new one without uninstalling it (although I was almost positive that I uninstalled it.)

Either way I haven't got much help on this issue.