Sign in to follow this  
gromacs

Instrument panel is blurry

I'm not on my gaming PC, but I was browsing the forum so I thought I would post this question I've always wanted to ask.

The instrument panel is very blurry. I can make out the text on some of the dials but it is very difficult, most of the time I can read RPM torque fuel temp direction etc. but it is just so blurry! And the text under all the switches too, if it weren't for the HUD I would never figure out which switch I want to use. Is there a setting or config file I can change to make the dials more clear? Do I need to move the character's head closer instead of just 'zooming in'? If you guys want a screenshot I can post one later when I get home, but I'm quite certain that this happens for almost all players running default settings, and I also see this fuzzy unsharp effect in ArmaII and OA.

I'm using a gtx460 1gb with most settings on normal, very entry level stuff so I just thought that maybe this is to compensate for low quality textures, but it's just very annoying :(

Turn off post effects maybe? Increase texture quality and/or anisotropic filtering setting.

Edited by BeePee

Turn off post effects maybe?

BeePee is correct. It could either be Post Process effects or you do not have your 3D Resolution set to 100%

Turn off post effects maybe? Increase texture quality and/or anisotropic filtering setting.

Thanks, will try this tomorrow

BeePee is correct. It could either be Post Process effects or you do not have your 3D Resolution set to 100%

What exactly is 3D resolution? The default is less than my monitor's default res, I left it alone because I thought it was for Nvidia 3D vision. Since I don't 3D vision anyways, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to turn that up to my native res

edit: nicholas posted between the time I opened this tab and responding lol, I will definitely turn 3d res to native and turn of post effects, will give it a try tomorrow :)

Edited by gromacs

+1

By deafaut I think it's not set on 100%. That's why you can't read the panel without Zoom ont it.

WOW, turning 3D Resolution up made a world of difference. It's like that time in 8th grade when you complain to your parents that you can't see the blackboard and then you get your first pair of glasses and all of a sudden everything is in 1080p lol. Thanks for all your help everyone, you've made this game a lot more enjoyable for me

Also turned off post processing since I don't like the bokeh, turned up fxaa, and my framerate is still silky smooth. Damn this is a good engine...

I run with my 3D resolution at 100% and post process effects off as well. Glad we could help.

3d resolution is how you control super-sampling antialiasing. It would be a similar thing to taking a large screenshot image and reducing its size in photoshop.

Make sure your interface resolution is at the native resolution of your monitor. That will give you the sharpest image.

IIRC Take on has radial blur around the edges of the screen at high speeds when you have post processing on higher levels. Also IIRC, motion blur in this engine (and possibly all engines) is calculated on the difference between frames, so at low frame rates, there is a lot of difference, and therefore a lot of blur. PP effects take up some processing time, so if you have a low frame rate caused by the PP effects, you're liable to see much more blur than was intended.

Putting post processing to low is a good idea if you see a lot of blur.