Sign in to follow this  
GFX707

M224 60mm mortar

I thought I saw someone mention how the AI weren't that accurate with it, but I can't find that post now. sad.gif But at any rate to GFX-707, I just wanted to let you know that I think the accuracy is fine. Please DON'T make them as accurate as the regular rifle-grenade soldiers. Real mortar attacks are often not very accurate and just put rounds into the general area unless they got a really good forward observer and a high speed mortar crew (with a good mortar and ammunition). I love the way it is right now. The mortars just land all around the targets and cause mayham and confusion occasionally landing right on target and taking out vehicles and men. Also...by exploding near them but not on them, often I see soldiers get injured from shrapnel which I thought was very realistic. It felt very real seeing a guy next to me scream and fall down wounded from a shrapnel wound to the leg.

That's a lot more realistic I think then seeing almost every single mortar round landing right on top of the target.

So keep that part as it is. The only things that I think could be improved are these:

1. The commander won't give the order to fire when I try to command a mortar. But I think this could be because I tested it on version 1.40 (long story).

2. It would be nice if you figured out how to get the mortar crews to engage targets farther then 500 meters. 1000 meters would be perfect...well if the mortar can go that far.

But currently often at 500 meters they don't engage. I think the mortar can hit at little bit farther then that, but maybe not. If there's any way you can figure out how to extend the range that would be awesome, but if not then that is ok also.

Overall I REALLY love this addon. It is a truly excellent piece of work!!! I would highly recommend that you take up Walker's offer on using that script for long range indirect fire.

Or at least have that script as an option to use even if it's an external script that has to be put into the map editor.

If not then I can always just wait for Walker's mortar for missions requiring long range mortar attacks possibly for multiplayer missions where you have to support other players that act as your spotters. That would be sweet!

Anyways, keep up the excellent work. Your mortar is going into action immediately on Orangeland where it is defending a beach against an amphibious assault by the U.S. Marine Corp....except the player is a Marine... I find it more exciting to be on the receiving end of the artillery...not knowing when that next artillery round will have your name on it. smile.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

hehe, yeah, it is good that they are not very accurate as the rounds are quite lethal and on rare occasions I have seen one round take out half a squad wow.gif

I have been having great fun with the mortar, it makes my beach landing missions complete, along with the Flak 36 I imported from DoD (which you won't see until I make a new model for it, grumble grumble) the atmosphere is great, and as you are coming up to the beach in your landing craft with mortar shells exploding all around you it gets the adrenaline pumping like mad, because you know as soon as you hit the beach there's gonna be machine gun fire and explosions everywhere around you and the only thing you can do is run wow.gif

1) This is a bug that I have been trying to find a solution for for a while, I really have no idea why this won't work

2) I have tried and tried to get the mortar to engage further than 500m. It would have been released about two days ago but I spent that time trying to make it fire further, it just doesn't seem to want to. I think it is ok as it is, though.

If walker wants to make a scripted version that fires further, that is fine with me. The thing is, I just don't do scripts....I can script and I have a multitude of artillery and mortar scripts made but I don't like putting them with addons, it just seems like a half-arsed compromise when it is not coded and ready to work from being put into the mission editor.

I hope you got the newer version with the fixed sounds, btw.

Hmm you can make tanks fire further with setviewdistance command, it should also affect this mortar addon. Could this be kind of solution GFX?

The method I use to get indirect fire does not alter range; all it does is allow a separate observer to set azmuth of the mortar and alter elevation then cause the mortar to fire on that elevation.

This means that asuming the shot is following an arc it will land at the end of that arc. So the mortar can fire from cover say behind a hill or behind a forest.

The Forward Observer (FO) is in the squad of the mortar team but not in its "vehicle" sic so they can be at the edge of the woods or at the brow of the hill or even behind the enemy, anywhere really. The FO may not even be in observation of the enemy and speculative fire or reconasence by fire could be made. Your just giving a fire mission: as azimuth for mortar direction to target, elevation for range and number of rounds. (single or salvo)

I call it a method because it is not just a script. Curently in beta form it uses a couple of scripts pluss, radio triggers to allow the azmuth to be altered and the elevation to be increased or decreased.

The elevation and azmuth settings are passed to a seperate target STONK; this is a small artificial target that the mortar aims at. The mortar fires at the target (misses it most times cause its small) and the round passes by then on to the true target.

Its all just simple geometry realy.

There is no reason that all the scripts, the artificial target STONK and the interactions with the mortar can not be internalised. In much the same way that Kegetys script for transporting his grenade launcher is.

It would then only need an entry into the mortars init field to tell it it had an FO and whether or not the FO was AI or a player.

I am sure everyone can see that the same mthod works for any weapon say artilery.

Regards walker  smile.gif

how come its only under empty objects?

its under resistance>armor

and this is not complaining about the inaccuracys of the mortor but...i set up 7 east men (about one squad) and i set up 10 mortors with resistance as a enemy to east. the mortors sees the east soldiers and begin firing, but the shells keep over shooting the soldiers of some 20 meters and it keeps hitting the same spot... about 3 mins later, all the morters run out of ammo and the smoke clears, i take out my binocs and to see all 7 solders still alive and is now shooting back at our mortor squad. and yes all the mortors keep shooting the same spot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Snoopy @ June 20 2002,00:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">its under resistance>armor

and this is not complaining about the inaccuracys of the mortor but...i set up 7 east men (about one squad) and i set up 10 mortors with resistance as a enemy to east. the mortors sees the east soldiers and begin firing, but the shells keep over shooting the soldiers of some 20 meters and it keeps hitting the same spot... about 3 mins later, all the morters run out of ammo and the smoke clears, i take out my binocs and to see all 7 solders still alive and is now shooting back at our mortor squad. and yes all the mortors keep shooting the same spot.<span id='postcolor'>

Aye have the same problem. Maybe if possible make target accurate but make grenade have a diversion in it so it will hit in target area +/- 30 meters more in different directions.

Also two other things.

Maybe add some kind of scope for aiming. I know that mortars have some kind of small binocular fixed on it. Think its for aiming it on fixed point in the firing direction but wouldnt know since im not trained on a mortar.

Also make the Mortar turn instead of grenade firing out in strange angels from the tube confused.gif

But great work

It looks REALLY stupid turning. Trust me, it's better the way it is.

I don't know why it is so inaccurate. I tried for ages to make it shoot properly, but that's just the way it is.

The scope idea I have tried, but it was too hard to implement properly, so the only way is to guess just now sad.gif

its ok, the morter is cool anyways smile.gif i tried making 60 guys rush 15 mortors and the 60 men got slaughtered. those dam things can hit you from point blank range!!

I am almost done with a mission using these great new add-ons. I have about 6 full squads of indian soldiers rushing 4 pakistani mortars on a hill. The mortars perform excellent and the effect is awsome. I havent had any problems with them firing in the same spot. there is nothing like running through a feild dodging mortar fire and trying to find cover. the only thing I see needing fixed in ver 1.1 is the fact that you cant kill the gunner easily. another kewl thing is that the will still fire even with the commander dead wink.gif

keep up the excellent work GFX!! i have one question for you, do you plan to release a newer version in the near future? if not i will release the mission as soon as I finish downloading led zepplin's kasmir smile.gif

what about aiming up and down the tri pod would stay still while that sivler bar would go up and down changin the angle of the tube canu do that at all? And sum sort of turnin would be good even if it dosnt look dat great.

HellToupee, the game engine changes elevation by rotating it, so it would just look stupid I am afraid. I will see what I can do, though

We still love you GfX707, I hope you finish your Flak 36 and make those faggot DOD retarts piss off.

I am working on rebuilding a Flak 36 from scratch, the only problem is getting good textures, for which I need some high res pics sad.gif

I'll go do a search and get back to you on your forums. (easier to add attachments there). I also have some cool Mg42 pics...although they're not necesarry anymore. Oh, and btw. I read a thread on the http://www.dayofdefeatmod.com/ site, and they seem pretty pissed with your Mg42 and .30 confused.gif

yeah, look at the last two pages of that thread....I beat em down to basically forgetting about it wink.gif

at least I hope so wow.gif

My gunner doesn't want to shoot! I select a target but i can't give the command to fire. If i get out the gunner starts shooting, but the grenade always falls a bit too far.

That is a bug that I have been looking at for some time, Sadico. Like I said, the mortar is best left to the AI

AI sucks at aiming, i stood there trying to get him to shoot me and they kept shooting behind me

this mortar is cool with the MG pack, however is it possible to update the mg pack???

the reason I say this is becuase the arnt very good for night missions becuase they have spotlights on them which ruins the effect so there must be a way 2 switch them off wink.gif

I cannot get the lights to go off. Everything in the 'land' class has lights, apart from soldiers for some unknown reason I have yet to figure out. When I do I will get rid of the lights on all of the MGs and the mortar

This mortar gives OFP a needed boost in mission making!!!

I used the desert malden map ,and used the town in the middle of a huge valley. Set up mortars around the town with RES troops as back up. And had an entire UN convoy come through the town. It looked like a movie smile.gif

My only request , could you make one for west and east?

I tend not to team up Res with either side. A three way war is very entertaining smile.gif

If you want to make east or west versions, all it takes is a little .cpp editing, you will learn from the experience wink.gif

Anyway, work is progressing on the 88. Due to lack of textures I went for a 'rusty' look, There are not many details just now but I will keep putting them on as I find suitable pics to take them from. Texturing REALLY sucks

NEW88.jpg