Sign in to follow this  
KenNitro

Moving hud/menu items?

I play on a large plasma (60") and the command menus are all the way to the sides of the screen so I have to turn my head a lot just to see them=headache time. (Using TrackIR at the same time this adds to the problem)

Is there any way to move the menus/hud elements?

Hi,

Try the Truemods mod - here. Very popular and a lot of people use it to move the action menu to the centre of the screen.

I notice most people dont realize that bigger doesn't necessarily means better.

For eg. Watching a movie at the theater, will you buy a ticket at the 1st row closest to the screen? For me, no. I think the best seats will be at the middle or at the back (please disregard the people sitting in front of you issue XD)

Try sitting a bit further back if you are using a big screen, it will make your eyes lasts longer too XD

Bigger for me means more immersion as most of my view is taken up by the screen.

For example flying choppers on 60" with TrackIR is awesome, it's just not the same on a smaller screen.

Checking out Truemods, thanks.

On the same topic I also play on a large HD screen.

In this case, Bigger is better :D

Ok so I've installed the @TrueUser mod, it's doing something (Changed hud look, colors, new xhair etc..) but the menus are still the same place.

I've not used mods a lot but I'm guessing I can change the options for @TrueUser somehow I just don't know where.

Is there some config file I need to change or ingame console? The readme for the mod only showed how to install and assumed the user knew the rest :(

well i understand about immersion but having your eyes really close to a tv is still bad i think.

Why dont use this if you can afford it, combine with track ir and it will be awesome.

http://vuzix.com/consumer/products_wrap_1200vr.html

equivalent to 75inch TV but i'm not sure about any side effects tho cause this stuffs is still pretty new.

i would get this if i can afford it XD

Sitting to close to the TV being bad for the eyes is a myth, it was somewhat true a very long time ago when a TV emitted a small amount of radiation, but that's a non issue with flatscreen monitors of today.

It could also be a problem with old CRT screens running at to low refresh rates, around 60 hrz. I remember that because I had friends that didn't change their refresh rate back then from the default 60, 10 minutes staring at that and it was headache time. Looking at the screen from the side of my eyes I could see the screen flickering because human vision is more sensitive at the side of the eyes (To be more aware of predators, evolution and all that)

It's when you sit at a screen to long it causes strain and is bad, but that's not the screen, it would cause strain if you were reading a book to long.

I think we have a while to go before stuff like the 3D glasses becomes usable for long sessions, I've read many complaints about people getting headaches using those things.

The only thing that annoys me a bit about my plasma tv is that it gets HOT, it's like sitting in front of a radiator, esp. if the image is bright white, like the forums, it's almost burning if it sits to long.

nah trusts me about the myth, i spends a lot of time in front of the computer CRT monitor a long time ago then LCD and now i use LED monitor.

It's not the power of my eyes that affected but it seems that i cant stand the brightness glare. Need to keep increasing the glare power on my glasses every year then i start to reduce the brightness of my monitor by a lot and that seem to stop it.

well it might be strain as u said similar to reading a book too long or playing games on cellphone in a moving vehicles.

LED monitor seems really good, it uses so little power. I wanna wait for OLED technology to get better so we can have a curved 180' screen.

I experienced a 360' display a few years back, a 3D demonstration of a new city plan. It made me felt like there's a hydraulic machine tilting the floor when the camera view start taking curved turns in the 3D world.

Now that will be awesome if we can use it at home XD

Edited by gunso

Ok so I've installed the @TrueUser mod, it's doing something (Changed hud look, colors, new xhair etc..) but the menus are still the same place.

I've not used mods a lot but I'm guessing I can change the options for @TrueUser somehow I just don't know where.

Is there some config file I need to change or ingame console? The readme for the mod only showed how to install and assumed the user knew the rest :(

TrueMods is a collection of mods which you can include or not include - it's up to you - check out the Description.txt that came with it. Anyway you need to make sure the file trueuser_igui_actionmenu.pbo is in the Addons folder, i.e it should be in...

[path to arrowhead]\@TrueUser\Addons

It should then work.

trueuser_igui_actionmenu.pbo is in there.

That's what's strange because the mod is definitely active (Installed in main app dir, then activated via shortcut mod cmd line), I have different icons at the bottom, different xhairs etc.. but when I hit the keys to bring up the menus they are still to the side and not centered. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I got the impression that the various menus would be centered instead of to the side as I have a hard time looking at them playing on a huge screen.

I'm getting the number combos down anyhow, many of the most used ones I can just tap out by now without thinking much about it, but the main spacebar menu is always changing so I still have to keep a watch on that. Imagine having to look almost over your shoulder just to see the side menus while keeping an eye on what you're aiming at :)

Perhaps it's time to cook up some good old GlovePIE voice commands, I've used that a lot when playing racing sims.