Sign in to follow this  
cm.

Server queries

Hi guys,

Just some queries about server configs and startup params (I have read the wiki extensively).

trying to figure out what is the best setting for performance and bandwidth.

Specs are:

xeon E3 1240

8GB RAM

500GB hdd (irrelevant I guess)

100mb link with a 5:1 ratio.

Server is running windows server 2008, not running as a VPS or anything, it's our own dedicated box.

What are good config settings for our min and max bandwidth? so far we have tried 0.5mbps/15mbps min/max values. I have changed one of the servers to 1mbps/20mbs to see if it makes a difference. Any other values that should be looked at?

Another things is our server FPS. We have better hardware than other hosts however our FPS hits about 7 when we get to 40 players and bottoms out past about 45. Hyperthreading is still enabled (should be disabled tomorrow) but I'm not sure how big of a boost we will get from it.

Also want to know what to run for exthreads? Should we run it at 7 or 5 or?????

I'm thinking of assigning a core to each server and then run the dayz hive apps and everything else on the remaining core. Does this normally improve performance?

In terms of our bandwidth, it's 100mbs burst but should be able to get 20mbs out of it consistently.

Cheers

Edited by cm.

You wrote that the cpu is a Xeon E3120, which is a dual core Core 2 Duo architecture processor from back in the year 2007 and it doesn't have hyperthreading. On the other hand, you mention that you "have better hardware than other hosts" and that HTT is enabled in the BIOS so I'm suspecting that it's not an E3120. Is it actually a contemporary Sandy Bridge-based Xeon E3-1230? (3.2 GHz, 4 cores plus hyperthreading)

• Yes, try disabling HyperThreading in the BIOS and see if it makes a difference.
  • Regarding -exThreads try it with no -exThreads parameter. These days, I believe the ArmA II dedi is good at auto-detecting a suitable value.
  • Experiment with setting the core affinity for the ArmA II server and see if it helps. Does it "normally improve performance"? *shrug* Not in my experience.

As for good configs for the min/max bandwidth... search through this forum and you'll see many discussions on that subject over the years. You might find a setting that has worked well for others that'll do the same for you. Good luck! :)