Sign in to follow this  
Recta DP

Optimization and worse graphics: The key to a fivefold increase in sales of ARMA 3

Also, an important note on the talk about graphic-options (In case it havent been mentioned yet). Being able to lower the games graphics too much quickly becomes a problem in PVP. Users playing on very low settings are able to spot other players a lot easier than they who have higher graphics enabled, obviously because of more clutter and vegetation covering their sight. This is something that all multiplayer-based games struggle to balance, especially big and open games like ArmA. This often leads to competitive players lowering their graphics just to be able to see eachother better, and care less about the actual immersion. And that's a game-breaker if you ask me.

I'd say this is also a problem in coop, as your comrades can spot enemies that you might not be able to see at all from that same position. I've experienced this as rather frustrating in the past, seeing parts of your group shooting like mad men through the bushes, while the rest have no idea of what the hell they're shooting at.

So I believe that lowering graphics has to have a certain limit for the game to be relatively fair, eventhough it's of course technically possible to have even lower settings available.

Also, an important note on the talk about graphic-options (In case it havent been mentioned yet). Being able to lower the games graphics too much quickly becomes a problem in PVP. Users playing on very low settings are able to spot other players a lot easier than they who have higher graphics enabled, obviously because of more clutter and vegetation covering their sight. This is something that all multiplayer-based games struggle to balance, especially big and open games like ArmA. This often leads to competitive players lowering their graphics just to be able to see eachother better, and care less about the actual immersion. And that's a game-breaker if you ask me.

I'd say this is also a problem in coop, as your comrades can spot enemies that you might not be able to see at all from that same position. I've experienced this as rather frustrating in the past, seeing parts of your group shooting like mad men through the bushes, while the rest have no idea of what the hell they're shooting at.

So I believe that lowering graphics has to have a certain limit for the game to be relatively fair, eventhough it's of course technically possible to have even lower settings available.

I should think it's possible for the server to force some requirements, pretty much already does :) in any case I doubt someone with a low end rig would be playing competitive games, more like SP timekilling or development.

I don't agree.

A studio focusing on laptop quality computers being able to play next gen FPS games is great but at no point will it ever be a focus. Games like ARMA 3 and other next gen titles should always be pushing as hard and far as they can go with graphics and physics to develop and advance video games. It's great it a studio supports the ability to play a game on weak hardware through optimisation but never should it be a focus and never should such customers be bale to play the game and remove visual elements from the game that will make it easier for them competativly against someone with max settings enabled. It should be the other way round. Instead the game should be optimisied well enough that poor computers within reason can still play the game just well enough.

Honestly think BF3 and it's hardware requirements as badly optimised as the game is, is the way games should be. Pushing the envelope graphically. Because without all the HDR effects, totally messed up gamma and hue settings and horrible character models the game does look beautiful.

just make players transparent for low gfx settings. They shouldnt be able to see them. make it so.

I don't agree.

I don't want lesser quality graphics because YOU can't afford a proper gaming computer... not my problem. I don't mean to be harsh but that's how I feel.

For those who want argue in favour of reduced quality graphics go watch the new gameplay footage posted on http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/1095870977-game-page/video/ today then start saving for a awesome gaming rig, because your going to want one!

Pretty cool gameplay. And we got to see some new animations. Yeah, there's no way BIS is going to lower the graphics quality. OP should hope that the lowest settings are made to allow ArmA3 to run on low-end machines.