Sign in to follow this  
MDRZulu

Paintball sniper rifle

A friend and I want to construct a paintball sniper rifle for some reason. We know very little about paintball guns and how they work. We basically want to buy a gun that costs no more that $100 and modify it with the rest all homemade parts. So if you know anything about paintball guns try to answer some of these questions and remember we dont want to buy any other manufactured parts. 1. The hardest part, how can we make an extended barrell that is the right radius, is there any metal orplastic piping that is the size of paintballs. 2. what is the standard radius of a paintball barrell. 3. How can we increase the velocity a bit without breaking the ball and 4. how can we increase the accuracy. 5. Any accessories you would reccomend like a bipod, certain type of stock etc. And dont say you cant do it because we are going to try to do it anyway so it will just be a waste of your time to say that. Ok thankyou to whoever helps me out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MDRZulu @ June 15 2002,13:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A friend and I want to construct a paintball sniper rifle for some reason. We know very little about paintball guns and how they work. We basically want to buy a gun that costs no more that $100 and modify it with the rest all homemade parts. So if you know anything about paintball guns try to answer some of these questions and remember we dont want to buy any other manufactured parts. 1. The hardest part, how can we make an extended barrell that is the right radius, is there any metal orplastic piping that is the size of paintballs. 2. what is the standard radius of a paintball barrell. 3. How can we increase the velocity a bit without breaking the ball and 4. how can we increase the accuracy. 5. Any accessories you would reccomend like a bipod, certain type of stock etc.   And dont say you cant do it because we are going to try to do it anyway so it will just be a waste of your time to say that. Ok thankyou to whoever helps me out.<span id='postcolor'>

It's been over 10 years since I played, but I guess somethings remain the same.

1. Visit a pipe supplier, though I think you understimate the problems you are going to face.

2. The standard calibre was, and remains .68"

3. The maximum velocity allowed in tournament was, and probably still is 300 feet per second. I have seen an old Sheridan jacked up to 450+ fps over the chronograph without shattering the rounds. I also saw that same gun hit a bloke's hand and crush a ring he was wearing so badly that he was taken to hospital to get it cut off. He returned to the site a few weeks later, grabbed the gun off its owner and smacked him over the head with the butt. I suggest you do not tamper with muzzle velocity.

4. If you find a suitable barrel, get a gunsmith to hone the inner as finely as possible. Another trick was to have the final few inches of the barrel drilled through in a helical pattern; this serves to impart spin to the round; about as close as a paintgun can get to rifling. Muzzle brakes were/are available which were supposed to have the same effect.

5. sights? I tried many types, and had most succes with bog-standard open sights. scopes of various kinds look cool, but I wouldn't say they particularly helped. Lasers are bloody useless, except in low-light conditions. stocks and grips are just a matter of personal taste, but a good silencer can be an asset.

That's it. I'd be interested to see how you get on.

Wouldt the hop-up thing,supposedly increases range a bit by introducing a slight spin, u get on airsoft guns work for paintball guns.

For sights id go with a red dot or open sights or laser.

Also the funy thing here is that u get a piddly power limit for airsoft and airguns yet paintball doesnt confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">5. sights? I tried many types, and had most succes with bog-standard open sights. scopes of various kinds look cool, but I wouldn't say they particularly helped. Lasers are bloody useless, except in low-light conditions. stocks and grips are just a matter of personal taste, but a good silencer can be an asset.<span id='postcolor'>

silencer??? what did u do,stick a cola bottle onto the end of ur paintgun ??

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ June 15 2002,18:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">5. sights? I tried many types, and had most succes with bog-standard open sights. scopes of various kinds look cool, but I wouldn't say they particularly helped. Lasers are bloody useless, except in low-light conditions. stocks and grips are just a matter of personal taste, but a good silencer can be an asset.<span id='postcolor'>

silencer??? what did u do,stick a cola bottle onto the end of ur paintgun ??<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. a pukka silencer. Inner tube drilled with holes to vent the gas into the main tube which was filled with something like scotchbrite. Within about 45 degrees of the naughty end it was quite loud, but outside that arc it made an appreciable difference to the noise level.

Didn't matter. anybody within 45 degrees of my muzzle was walking anyway. wink.gif

If you want to snipe, a silencer is a must. It muffles the sound enough that in the heat of a game, most people wont be able to tell where the sound is coming from.

And Wardog is right. If you mess with the muzzle velocity two things will happen:

1) You will not be allowed to play when you test at over 300fps.

2) If you do weasel your way through somehow, and shoot somone at close range, they WILL feed you the gun. One guy I know has a crescent shaped scar on his should from a gun that it turned out was firing at about 375fps. He got shot from five feet. I shot him sad.gif Since it was his own gun, he didnt kill me..but..I scarred the poor guy for life.

The one thing you really need to realize is that a custom barrel alone is likely going to cost you more tan you want to spend... and there really isnt a way around that. Getting a precision honed barrel for /68 caliber isnt as easy as going to the hardware and buying a piece of tube.

Damn this one got me thinking about the old days smile.gif

I used to own a Budd-Orr Ranger. One thing about that puppy was that the barrels were removeable, and in fact identical to the barrels on it's big bro, the Budd-Orr Sniper. I just had a quick look, and the same basic design is still considered current. You can buy a barrel ready made. You'll have to check prices, though.

Then all you have to do is remove the chuckker's current barrel, drill out the receiver precisely with the correct thread, and screw in a 21" precision honed tube in its place.

A doddle.

Ok, first off we still dont know what too do about the barrel. We dont care that much about it as long as it shoots, we dont really care if its not finely smoothed out or any of that, but the holes sound like a good idea. That is if we actually find some sort of piping that size. Ok and on shooting at people, we dont really plan on that, its more of just for fun. And where we live which is in the mountains of Northern California the people play out in huge areas with different terrain, hills/forests/open areas, so if we ever do shoot anyone it will be someone we know and we dont want to hurt them so we could easily get very very far away and have fun and drop by uninvited into on of their games smile.gif. Everybody knows eachother here and we dont want to hurt or piss anybody off so we would definetly make sure if we shot someone that it would be a safe distance.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh and 68 cal, what is that in mm?<span id='postcolor'>

Inches.

.68ths of 1.00 inches.

Tyler

No I dont care about inches, mm= milimeters, inches are stupid. If i have to go look through a bunch of shit out in the woods with piping I'll measure it in mm because they are much more convenient.

1 inch = 25.4mm

25.4*.68=17.272

smile.gif

Pretty elementary math, dude wink.gif

I could do it if I werent lazy. Really what is more elementary: doing worthless math problems during my summer break or haveing someone else do it for me, ahhh tough one. But thanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MDRZulu @ June 17 2002,06:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I could do it if I werent lazy. Really what is more elementary: doing worthless math problems during my summer break or haveing someone else do it for me, ahhh tough one. But thanks.<span id='postcolor'>

you will regret not taking more math classes when you can't understand a thing about mortgage.. biggrin.gif

I take all the CPM math classes and get B's or A's and I will have to take more in college but I also think I'm never gonna use any of that shit. Like warin said that math was elementary and so is mortgage. I have to take all this super pointless math shit just to go through ROTC and go into the military. I dont plan on being a friggen rocket scientist argh.... damn math.

Hahaha a paintball sniper rifle lol

Ok anyway.

The best ( looking at the price !! ) gun you could buy will be a Cocker or autoCocker. These babies are a little old but they were the most accurate guns a few years back and you should be able to find one 2nd hand around the price you said. Depending on the airsystem that s on it.

About the barrel just buy a regular barrel. You can almost always get them in 16".

The barrel brand/size will affect the accuracy and the distance.

Anyway, don t even think of "sniping" a target more then 50meters away. It s paintball, no paintball bullet is the same they are 0.68 cal so affected by wind quite alot. Also the ball must have enough velocity left to break ! No use in shooting bounchers cause they will not count as hits. Dont even think of going over 300fps unless you wanna shoot someones eye out.

I m thinking about a good brand for a barrel but it s so long ago and the new guns all use different brands.

Good luck

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sn][perwolf @ Oct. 24 2002,01:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">sounds cool lol paintball sniper biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You revived a long dead post just to spam?

tsk* tsk*

Reviving mummified threads to add nothing is a no-no.

Closing..............................