Sign in to follow this  
JM0N

[Solved] Virus detected in "carrier.exe" upon install

I am really hoping fellow forum users or Bohemia Interactive staff can step in and HELP A.S.A.P.

HELP PLEASE ! I just bought the play and contribute Carrier Command Gaea mission pack earlier this evening. I then downloaded the game directly from the link provided.

Order Number: 29XXX

Order Date: Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Order Status: Paid/Confirmed

and upon installing i got a VIRUS DETECTED warning from AVG. The virus is detected within the carrier.exe file and it is called Win32/Heur.

PLEASE HELP with advice on what I should do and how I should proceed.

I have not tried to run the game yet. I am going to proceed with a virus scan and pray for the best.

I'm scared, shocked, hoping this is just some false warning and my best case would be for others to have had this problem and it not be an issue and I could ignore it. But when i went to search for information on anyone else that encountered this I didn't find anything. Misery loves company....because there are solutions there but if I'm the only one infected by this then I hope I'm the last.

Standing by,

JM0N

if you just read a little bit lower.....

if you just read a little bit lower.....

What do you mean ? I am feeling dumb here.....

Help a fellow Carrier Commander out please

Well thanks sxp2high - you're the first to come to my rescue.

I have not even started the game since it quarantined the carrier.exe file but now that you've replied I'm going to reinstall it.

Again thank you - and if I ever see your carrier in need of repair or backup in multiplayer I'll return the favor.;)

Quote Originally Posted by malfunctionX View Post

AVG falsely reports that carrier.exe is infected, and blocks it from running. If you use AVG, the following method will solve this problem:

1. Just in case your copy has become infected, try uploading the file to virustotal.

2. if the file is clean, add it to the AVG Resident Shield exceptions.

Open the AVG interface, look in the Tools -> Advanced Settings.

navigate the tree to Anti-Virus -> Resident Shield -> Exceptions.

add Carrier.exe to the list (default location c:\program files\bohemia interactive\carrier command gaea mission\carrier.exe)

3. this will prevent AVG blocking access to the file and allow you to run the game normally.

Thanks for this - I wish i saw it last night before I freaked out.

I sent emails to Bohemia support and the Bohemia store begging for help A.S.A.P. but it was the forum community that came to my rescue first. Thanks again.

This should probably be stickied as I had the same thing happen. I assumed it was the AVG seeing the normal process as suscpicious but it's still good to have this info up front if possible.