Sign in to follow this  
afp

How to get rid of these?

16G RAM, fast HDD, I've put it on a SSD but it does the same. I dont think its reading from disk to exchange mipmaps.

Consider that an A2 feature.

You could try setting Texture Detail to Very High to minimize it.

Ps. Rename the topic better

I think both are fixable. Looks like a glintch in rendering texture somewhere in the engine and not a texture loading lag. Maybe it is related to distance to the camera when zooming in or tolerance of this distance when changing textures. I'm sure its fixable, maybe textures should be updated less often or in better conditions.

PS Atkins, if you have any suggestion about the title please let me know.

Edited by afp

I used to get this (although not as bad). I fiddled around for a while and found that the following seems to sort it out for me;

aTOC=0 in the .cfg file.

Video Memory to default in the Graphic options.

"-malloc=tbb4malloc_bi" - in the startup line.

There is still 'some' texture pop-in when I zoom in with a scope but not very often (in fact I haven't noticed it for a few weeks now).

I used to get this (although not as bad). I fiddled around for a while and found that the following seems to sort it out for me;

aTOC=0 in the .cfg file.

Video Memory to default in the Graphic options.

"-malloc=tbb4malloc_bi" - in the startup line.

There is still 'some' texture pop-in when I zoom in with a scope but not very often (in fact I haven't noticed it for a few weeks now).

Thank you, there is definitely a big improvement on vegetation (and overall FPSs) but the issue on rendering buildings still persists (mostly on Takistan buildings).

PS Also the vegetation on Cernarus doesnt look that "crowded" anymore....i like it.

Edited by afp

Try some of the other memory allocators;

ttb3malloc_bi

ttb4malloc_bi

tcmalloc_bi

nedmalloc_bi

jemalloc_bi

Each system is different so another one may suit better.

Also, if you are using one of the latest betas, you could try playing around with the new post processing filters...

Details
===
Since ArmA2OA build 89201 it is possible to use post processing anti-aliasing, 
namely SMAA (Enhanced Subpixel Morphological Anti-Aliasing), version used: 2.7
Settings
===
In arma2oa.cfg were added new config entries:
PPAA=<number>;
PPAA_Level=<number>;
Accepted values for PPAA are:
0 - Disabled
1 - FXAA
2 - FXAA + sharp filter
3 - SMAA
Accepted values for PPAA_Level are:
0 - SMAA_PRESET_LOW
1 - SMAA_PRESET_MEDIUM
2 - SMAA_PRESET_HIGH
3 - SMAA_PRESET_ULTRA 

Complexity of quality settings are based on default SMAA settings (version 2.7)
NOTE: SMAA can be enabled even if Post-Processing was disabled in video options! 

Edited by Jedra

Thanks, I'll try those too, for the moment it looks like I just gained 20-30 FPSs (from 60-70 to 90-100) on Cernarus by removing vegetation antialiasing (I had AA on "high" in settings) and vegetation looks even better. I don't use post processing so PPAA and SMAA are already 0.

I still think the buildings rendering issue is a bug, we may not fix it throught settings...

Thanks, I'll try those too, for the moment it looks like I just gained 20-30 FPSs (from 60-70 to 90-100) on Cernarus by removing vegetation antialiasing (I had AA on "high" in settings) and vegetation looks even better. I don't use post processing so PPAA and SMAA are already 0.

I still think the buildings rendering issue is a bug, we may not fix it throught settings...

Depending on your resolution, you might be better to try the PPAA stuff and drop down your AA. I found that it gave very good Antialiasing results without the FPS overhead of standard AA.

I think the pop-in is to do with memory allocation. As I said, mine was bad (especially on walls and trees in Takistan) until I played with the mallocs. Anyway, glad you've seen an FPS boost if nothing else!!