Sign in to follow this  
erickwood

TOH on Mac?

I know TOH cannot run on Mac platform but can it run on Windows platform on a Mac? Looking to purchase new computer specifically for TOH. Any recommendations?

Erick

I've heard of people successfully running ArmA II and ArmA II Operation Arrowhead in Bootcamp on a Mac. I'm sure it's possible with ToH as well, although I'm not sure what model Mac they had.

ToH runs on my iMac in bootcamp - however, not very well! Pound for pound the technology in a mac is not as good as in a PC (unless you have a Mac Pro and have filled it yourself) so unless you have a really top-end iMac you're not going to have a great experience.

In bootcamp the iMac is a PC, so from that perspective as long as it's components meet minimum requirements it will run.

My iMac got very, very hot running ToH too - much more than it does trying to run Arma 2! My iMac is about 4 years old now - though at the time it was the best you could put together.

Pound for pound the technology in a mac is not as good as in a PC (unless you have a Mac Pro and have filled it yourself) so unless you have a really top-end iMac you're not going to have a great experience.

While this may be true with reference to TOH, in general this simply isn't true.

While this may be true with reference to TOH, in general this simply isn't true.

Apple computers are NOT designed for games (especially if we talking about DX games, but opengl is just the same). Most of those computes lack a prope gfx card.

That said, even a Mac Pro is designed for with VFX in mind.

Your best bet is still a PC

I am afraid it is. I have been using Apple's since the Apple II - the early machines (including the original mac) were technologically very good in comparison to their nearest competitors, however these days you are paying quite a lot for the shiny silver box the components come in. This is why if you're going to build a mac pro, it's best to buy it as empty as possible and source the other components yourself. That said, the same can be said of any of the mainstream PC manufacturers too.

Anyway, my point was, you can put together a decent DX-11 capable PC for about £500 if you're careful and don't mind overclocking. There's no way that for the same money you're going to get a Mac with similar capabilities.

People like Valve are doing a good job of getting games converted to opengl though and with Steamplay you're not getting ripped off if you already have the PC versions. Perhaps if gaming became a more popular pursuit on the mac then apple might start to alter their price points or put better (gaming) components in their machines.

Anyway, perhaps my mind will change the next time I have to upgrade my iMac - and by upgrade I mean throw it away and buy a whole new one, screen and all ;-)

Pound for pound the technology in a mac is not as good as in a PC (unless you have a Mac Pro and have filled it yourself) .

I dont agree with this statement either. If we are just talking about games, then yes. A PC and a Mac are both built for different purpose. I have both a MacPro and a PC with just about the same specs. I render movies on both but the PC falls behind a great deal when it comes to just that. PC's are more of a gaming machine then anything else, and yes, most business programs. But a Mac is hands down the best for Musicains and those who make movies.

So to say the Mac technology is not as good as a PC is just not true at all. It just depends on what you want to do with it.

I have a MacPro quad core Xeon 3.0 with a Radeon 5770 and it runs the game on the highest graphic setting at 1920x1080 without a problem in Windows 7 under bootcamp. In Fact, I have the following running smoothly! : Rise of Flight and Black Shark 2..

If you dont have a powerful Mac, I would go buy a PC for the game, it will cost you less money and that is what the game is made for.

Even though I have a PC, I use my mac far more then the PC, so I am slowly getting away from the PC... That is why i installed the games on the MAC.. One, to test it, and since it works just fine, I play them on my MAC...

So to say the Mac technology is not as good as a PC is just not true at all. It just depends on what you want to do with it.

No, that's not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is that unless you buy a mac pro and put the components in yourself you are paying more for the components as supplied by Apple. If I wanted a mac that played games I would do exactly what you did and get a Mac Pro as empty as possible and then source the components elsewhere.

Now that Mac is intel based technology, it is exactly the same as a PC - which actually makes the price difference of an iMac in particular more startlingly obvious. I only bought an iMac because at the time I did not have the space for another 'big box' and I needed to support my OSX clients and my intention was that it wouldn't get used for games anyway. Also at the time, the mac mini did not have the grunt for what I needed (otherwise I would have got one of those).