Sign in to follow this  
David Schofield

Arma 2 causing system crash on my desktop; odd green freeze-streaks, too.

gta-iv-freezed.jpg

IMGP0304.jpg

http://www.unigamesity.com/wp-content/uploads//2008/12/gta-iv-freezed.jpg

This is the most accurate representation of the graphics failure that I can find. The same thing that happens to this person's game happens to my Arma 2.

What happens is this:

I'm just going along in-game, minding my own business, when the screen suddenly has at least one hundred green and purplish streaks running through it. I can still move for a while, then the game freezes, then I guess my driver fails; my monitor shuts off (connection to harddrive is lost) and my harddrive is completely asleep.

It may be a driver issue; I'm currently downloading a new Nvidia driver to replace the older outdated one I have.

My system specs:

Vista

Intel Core 2 Quad

Nvidia Geforce 9800GT

I really don't see what the problem is. My computer USED to play Arma perfectly fine. Then, something happened so that now about every 30 minutes or so, this freeze bullcrap happens.

Can someone tell me what to do? I'm currently downloading a new driver, but if someone knows whether that is or isn't the problem, please tell me. Thanks for reading.

Edited by David Schofield

it looks like a video card hw failure, can you test it with another one ?

To me the fact that it runs for a while and then freezes looks like it may be a heat problem. Check the fans on the video card are still running, clean out any dust in the heatsinks. Try running with the side off the case and a desk fan pointed into it, if it works fine then it is definatly a heat problem.

Download and install MSI Afterburner, it can show you the GPU temp on a overlay while playing (alingside with other information. Try to reproduce the problem and post the last temp readouts. So far i agree with tot3m and becubed, sounds definately with a temperature problem.

Also check the GPU heatsink if it's full of dust.

It sure looks like it is the video card over-heating. When was the last time you cleaned out your PC case?

I probably need to clean out my computer again, but I really don't think it's heat related. My computer has always been able to run other games (i.e. Crysis, Crysis 2, etc.) perfectly fine. It's just been Arma that it has complained about for some reason, and also only Arma that it's done this green-screen thing.

I did a few of the tweaks suggested in the Nvidia user thread, and also updated the driver to 2.85, which has REALLY helped my preformance, and has also lessened the chances of crashes. It still happens though, albiet more of a rarity.

Donwload and run Furmark for a while and see if temps are a problem or not.

Myself i had once similar graphic glitches like seen on the first pic you posted, shortly before my Graphic card died.