Sign in to follow this  
wizbomb

AMD 6 core Processor

i am building a new computer with the goal of playing arma 3 with no problems and i was wondering if an AMD 6 core Processor was necessary? i dont know much about processors but it seems to be a duel between this and an i7. and do u guys think a 550 TI would be a good graphics card?

Of course! I have an AMD 1100T and I love it! Although, no matter what hardware you get, I can guarantee you won't be able to run ArmA with the graphics "maxed". But my 1100T sure did make things smoother than my old quad-core.

thanks for reply! now what about the graphics card?

I personally love AMD CPU's and AMD GPU's. But for ArmA 3, I'm gonna have to recommend an NVIDIA card of some kind, because ArmA 3 utilizes PhysX - which will be smoother with an NVIDIA card as it will run on the GPU and not the CPU. I've never bought an NVIDIA card, so I'm not sure what to recommend.

Maybe an NVIDIA "expert" could chime in. I'd like to know as well, since I am considering an NVIDIA card.

Yep. I've also heard good things about AMD CPU + NVIDIA GPU, they work very well together.

well thats good news lol! cuzz thats exactly how my pc is ganna be setup

Well here I am! If money is no issue, then wait for the new 700 series cards that will be out before Arma 3, but if you can't wait then I would go for 2x 580's. Right now I'm running 2x 560's but Arma seems to hate them, so I'm stuck using just 1 of them. Hopefully Arma 3 will have better SLI support!

well i think SLI is kinda out of the question for me right now

But for ArmA 3, I'm gonna have to recommend an NVIDIA card of some kind, because ArmA 3 utilizes PhysX - which will be smoother with an NVIDIA card as it will run on the GPU and not the CPU. I

Physx will be handled by the CPU not by the GPU. The chip manufactuerer won't matter.

BTW, what i7(series) are you talking about?

Well then, by the time the new 700 series cards are out, you can buy 2x 580's for very cheap. Or get 2x 560's which I will be running

Physx will be handled by the CPU not by the GPU. The chip manufactuerer won't matter.

lol i dont actually know what u mean (im a noob with processors)

I am curious if there will be any difference in the way Intel and AMD processors will calculate physics.

So Bohemia Interactive is forcing PhysX to run on the CPU? Because I thought PhysX ran on the GPU, as stated here.

PhysX taps into the GPU for complex physics calculations.

lol i dont actually know what u mean (im a noob with processors)

Ok. To put it simple, there are multiple "generations" of i7 CPU's. If you can aford a i7 2500, i7 2500K or evan an 2600, go for it. If not, stick to the x6 1100T, as it's still a good CPU. I'm planning to upgrade to a 1100T myself... eventualy :)

Intel CPU's are over-rated and you're primarily paying for the name "Intel". And I found where pettka says that PhysX will only be software mode. So I guess it doesn't really matter if you get an AMD or NVIDIA video card.

He, definetly he. Or me, in this cause. And the statement was meant as assurance, that PhysX is GPU independent. It is software mode, which means PhysX is running on Your CPU. Any more 20+ post questions about every word i wrote? :icon_twisted:

So Bohemia Interactive is forcing PhysX to run on the CPU? Because I thought PhysX ran on the GPU, as stated here.

Yes, they want to keep things equal for both AMD and nVidia users.

Thanks for the info guys, so im assuming AMD is for the gamer and Intel is sorta for the average internet browser or something like that?

Thanks for the info guys, so im assuming AMD is for the gamer and Intel is sorta for the average internet browser or something like that?

Both Intel and AMD processors can be used for gaming. But I do personally believe that AMD is geared more towards gamers.

Well no, Intel does make powerfull CPU's. Overpriced, but powerfull. AMD's prices are a little more down to earth. Current intel CPU's are more powerfull and are more efficient than top of the line AMD CPU's.

Well no, Intel does make powerfull CPU's. Overpriced, but powerfull. AMD's prices are a little more down to earth. Current intel CPU's are more powerfull and are more efficient than top of the line AMD CPU's.

It pretty much comes down to on how much you want to spend, as a poor student i still use my PhenomII 955, but if someone gave me a bunch of money i would have gotten an i7 without a doubt.

Well, if you build it specifically for ArmA3 then wait until it comes out, by then prices will have dropped and you will be able to get better parts for less money. :p

There is no sense to buy PC for A3 now. Hardware can make huge advance in one year.

And yes, it means that i think A3 will be released at least in the beginning of 2013.

this

Well, if you build it specifically for ArmA3 then wait until it comes out, by then prices will have dropped and you will be able to get better parts for less money. :p
happend while i was typing)

now i dont know which to get lol

As I said if you can afford an I7 2500, 2500K or 2600 buy it. ArmA is a CPU hungry game. The more power you have, the better. If not, there is no shame in buying the x6 as it's a good CPU and can run ArmA 2 just fine. Be advised that you need different motherbords depending on which brand you decide on.

P.S. Be sure you also get a decent PSU to feed your new CPU and GPU :)

ANyway, you should wait for ArmA 3 to come out and then build a new PC.

Edited by Maio
Biscuits and honey