Sign in to follow this  
ChickenHawk

Online gaming is cool

The number of people playing games on the internet is set to explode over the next five years.

About 114 million people are forecast to be gaming online by the year 2006, says a report by US market researchers DFC Intelligence.

The gaming industry sees playing against opponents over the internet as the industry's new growth area.

But online gaming is still in its infancy, with experts saying it will be some time before it becomes part of the mainstream.

Infancy my azz, I have been playing online since 1999, and if I had a good connection I would have been playing long before that too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_2031000/2031091.stm

So it looks like things can only get bigger & possibly better.

playing against opponents online no longer interests me i prefer a good coop mission with a group of online buddies.

when against online opponents i get sick of hearing " arghh its cos i got bad lag" or "bah ur conn is better than mine" or "bah ur cheating"

in opflash coop missions i dont think i even check the scores lol

well, the truth of the matter is that for gret online gaming experience, you still gotta have some brain(I'm exception), like know basics of internet, graphic cards and so on. so still there are more possible participants that are not discovered yet.

i guess this will depend upon how internet can handle traffics and how graphics improve and so on..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ June 09 2002,19:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">playing against opponents online no longer interests me   i prefer a good coop mission with a group of online buddies.

when against online opponents  i get sick of hearing    " arghh its cos i got bad lag"  or  "bah ur conn is better than mine"    or  "bah  ur cheating"

in opflash coop missions  i dont think i even check the scores lol<span id='postcolor'>

agreed. i used to get shot at every time(and still do) but i don't compain..but others do... i guess for coop, you really don't have much of that hassle. it feels like you are working together for same goal..comradery?

and with your driving skills, you'd get better treatment from your comrades then your teammate who hasn't seen you and doesn't know about your driving skills tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ June 09 2002,18:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">in opflash coop missions  i dont think i even check the scores lol<span id='postcolor'>

That's cos you is a n00b and you suck tounge.gif

It's also because you're too busy driving over your own team mates wink.gif

bigger only means more people, and that generaly means more noobs. and that just means a bigger pain in the ass.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ June 08 2002,22:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ June 09 2002,18:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">in opflash coop missions  i dont think i even check the scores lol<span id='postcolor'>

That's cos you is a n00b and you suck  tounge.gif

It's also because you're too busy driving over your own team mates wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

lol yes my driving was as good as your mine laying lol biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ June 09 2002,22:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ June 08 2002,22:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ June 09 2002,18:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">in opflash coop missions  i dont think i even check the scores lol<span id='postcolor'>

That's cos you is a n00b and you suck  tounge.gif

It's also because you're too busy driving over your own team mates wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

lol yes   my driving was as good as your mine laying   lol  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL!!! you two make a great team

I have actually not played against strangers on the Internet since I got my first Internet connection in 1997:

Playing Quake (the original of course) online for many hours that summer; I was very impressed to be able to run around 'killing' many completely unknown strangers for a while then. I remember one time I had most frags when running around with double barreled shotgun, and I also remeber fun with 'guided rockets' (camping while chasing people with the rocket around the map) and many other things smile.gif But then all of a sudden I lost interest in it; and since then I have only played against people I know on LAN:s or with a few guys over the Internet..

Quake is actually still my favourite amongst all FPS after OFP; OFP which is as revolutionary as Quake was in those days. Maybe one can say that OFP is the first FPS to really go beyond Quake - the first in a new generation; I personally consider Dungeon Master from 1986 marking the first generation, Quake 10 yrs later the 2:nd and OFP 16 yrs later the 3:rd.

The biggest problem in online gaming is that there are so many different interests (in this case interests=reasons for playing) in gaming; making it a lame compromise of the majorities 'interests' in the end.

Chickenhawk, that's a nice sig you have there smile.gif

Looks a little like this...

MoHsigx.jpg

tounge.gif

what is it with Hilandors driving? It's been mentioned for almost a year now biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WKK Gimbal @ June 11 2002,21:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what is it with Hilandors driving? It's been mentioned for almost a year now  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It's not particularly good, well unless good driving is defined by how many of your own team mates you can drive over wink.gif

BTW shrink your sig a smidge there's a good chap smile.gif