Sign in to follow this  
Humvee

Movie

Hey why don't they make a mvie about operation flashpoint?

It's one of the best games ever and it would be easy to make a movie about it because you already have the script biggrin.gif

It could be cool. I could see a movie kinda like 'Go' with the 3 main charaters (Armstrong/Glewski (sorry can't spell his name)/Hammer) all telling there side of the story of the invasion and what they did. If done right it could be good.

COLINMAN

That would be bad, becuse it would propably be a low budget movie with poor actors and ridiculous effects, and it would get laughed on and it would make OFP look ridiculous.

if they ever make OFP movie, then they should do so using mission editor and script.

that'll be a new way of making a movie!

but i don't think t'll succeed in big screen..

I heard something about a animated movie made entirely with Q3, but that was a while ago and I've heard nothing more? Any ideas on that one?

COLINMAN

If they would work hard on the movie, put money on it with good actors, it could be good...

If you want to give OFP a painful death, sure. Go ahead, make a movie. Shortly after, everybody decides to forget about OFP as the movie was so emberrassing, they would even be mocked by their own friends, parents and relatives for playing a Mario Bros with guns game.

It would most likely be a movie about American soldiers fighting the bad, ugly, nasty enemies somewhere in Eastern Europe, probably. The hero would be someone like George Clooney, if he is not getting too old for that kind of movies. He would save his men´s butts all the time, spitting out oneliners like "There goes another baddie, we´ll be home for dinner".

And we would have seen it all 1000 times before. Just another boring "check the good looking hero blowing things up" movie.

No thanks tounge.gif

But, if they managed to add something to it, so that the movie would show the big picture, like switching to private Ryan for a while, following him and so how he get scared out of his skin when his bud´s is killed one by one.

Oh, that would be like "I know what you did last summer" only with uniforms.. biggrin.gif

I don't know why people think that an OFP movie would be so dull and think it would be some kind of straight to video movie which uses cheap actors. Blackhawk down was a great film and it used great actors like Josh Hatrnett. Maybe if they did make a film about it maybe they should have:

Tom Cruise =Gastovski (after MI2 who else?)

Josh Hartnett = Armstrong (after seeing him play as a soldier in BHD maybe he would suit the part)

Samuel.L.Jackson/Wesley Snipes = Hammer (We need a famous black actor)

Sam = Ben Affeleck? (I was stuck 4 sam so I decided to use Ben after his role in Pearl Harbor)

I mean why do people think that the movies of games suck? Tomb Raider was a good film.

P.S does any1 know when Blackhawk down comes out on DVD in the UK?

You're all thinking too big.

Think Fox TV cartoons, based on OFP's graphics. Each cartoon would be based on a mission, which you could download from the producer or CM.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MJR. Gastovski @ June 09 2002,13:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Eeeerrr a cartoon series for OFP? bit violent don't you think?<span id='postcolor'>

Well, they'd only be aired from 2-6AM. biggrin.gif

OFP isn't to well suited to a movie....most games aren't (as we all know...."Double Dragon" anyone?  tounge.gif ).  If you look at game based movies...99% of the time this is what happens:

The producers look at a game, find it's "identity", then transplant that identity into a story that is written for a film audience.  

Generally, we get crap.  Look at "Street Fighter"...a cool game in it's time.  But the movie?  They grabbed the characters names and rigged some moments where they fight one on one.  That's all the identity they needed.

Tomb Raider- Hot chick in tight clothes with attitude and guns.  Dark places.

Mario Brothers- Two brothers named Mario and Luigi who are plumbers.  Fungi. (talk about transplanting game characters into inappropraite stories.....geeze).

Wing Commander- The grand master of all games utterly screwed by their movie counterparts.  Holy friggin' crap.  If there was ONE movie that didn't really need to have it's story jacked around TO much...this was it.  Granted, no game story will ever work in a straight port to the silver screen...but the storyline of ANY Wing Commander game could have been adapted ever so slightly and worked great.  

But no.

Monkeys banging on keyboards would have written a more sucessful script than the guys who penned that ghastly waste of celluloid.  They even added an entirely new aspect to the WC universe, "pilgrams"...just to give the main character an internal conflict.  Also, maybe the Art Director felt useless and jaded or something because 90% of his concept work was already done.....yet however, he went and decided to redesign EVERYTHING?!!confused.gif!!!?!  What the hell?!?!  Technology and the freakin' FURRY bad guys are the part of the allure and identity of the WC universe...such treachery is akin to someone hiring Keanu Reeves to play "Loran Croft" in the Tomb Raider movie.  Unacceptable......

<anger.......................................fading>

However...there are a few decent movies out there based on games.  Nothing to classic, but a few.

Personally, I have not seen Tomb Raider, but I've heard it was decent.  Not exceptional, but decent.

I did however, see Resident Evil.  Not bad.  I've never played the game, so maybe I wasn't expecting much, but it seemed like a fairly decent, very, VERY dark horror/action flick.  The atmosphere throughout the movie was actually very good.  While the "story" aspect of bringing down the megacorperation flaked a bit, the pure survival aspect of the movie was running full force right from the start.

Anyways, back to the original point...games make bad movies.  Including our own beloved Operation: Flashpoint.  When you get down too it, minus the missions, the storyline to Flashpoint is right up there with...say...a childrens book (ok, maybe a bit harsh, but it's pretty simple).  The missions themselves do a great job of TELLING the story....but it's no "Momento".  It's very very straightforward:

1.  Unknown badguys invade

2.  NATO forces nearby (and ready to rotate home of course) respond.

3.  Fighting ensues

4.  Discover badguys are rogue soviet military units with access to nuclear weaponry.

5.  More fighting.

6.  Good guys win, nukes captured/destroyed, world saved.

So ok....we know the story itself isn't complex enough to make the transition to the big screen the way it is...which leaves OFP's "identity", which is:  Military soldiers, military equipment, and fighting.  See, here's why OFP can never be a movie.  It's identity is based on reality.  There are TONS of movies with OFP's base identity already.  Three kings.  Black Hawk Down.  Behind Enemy lines.  Heh...even Red Dawn.  

Personally I see OFP as a gateway INTO my favorite modern war movies like those....not the other way around.  Look at Behind Enemy Lines...it's BEGGING to be made into a OFP campaign....the forests...the hills...the BMPs...now if only there was a "retarded AI" option to compliment the current "super AI"...because we all know if OFP badguys were shooting at Owen Wilson, they'd have smoked him in about .05 seconds (I tried making a mission for it once...but it was just to damn hard....even when I wounded the badguys arms to screw up their aims....you'd still get smoked REAL fast.).  It's also good example of why movies and games aren't interchangeable from the OTHER direction.  At least not without some major adjustments.

Anyways...thats' my 2 cents and then some.  But basically, lets give OFP its due respect within its rightful media.

On a side note....I was rather obsessed with OFP during my Scriptwriting final last semester...so I wrote a script based very loosely on it.  I just mixed the two things I'm familiar with, the military and filmmaking.  Here's the log line:  

"Experianced moviemakers purchase an island to film the ultimate cold war movie, but when their secluded set is occupied by a real-life hostile force, the cast and crew are forced to act out their roles as soldiers to decieve the enemy and secure a way home."  

It turned out pretty decent....certainly needs some work though.  Heh, it'd make a great OFP campaign story if someone wants to take it on (the setting is an island, and all the costumes and equipment are military circa 1985)  biggrin.gif  Very character based, with an ensemble cast.

Ya right.....I think your right on the point that it's US forces winning almost easilly on URSS forces. (the battle on Kolgujev did not last much long)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MJR. Gastovski @ June 09 2002,12:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't know why people think that an OFP movie would be so dull and think it would be some kind of straight to video movie which uses cheap actors. Blackhawk down was a great film and it used great actors like Josh Hatrnett. Maybe if they did make a film about it maybe they should have:

Tom Cruise =Gastovski (after MI2 who else?)

Josh Hartnett = Armstrong (after seeing him play as a soldier in BHD maybe he would suit the part)

Samuel.L.Jackson/Wesley Snipes = Hammer (We need a famous black actor)

Sam = Ben Affeleck? (I was stuck 4 sam so I decided to use Ben after his role in Pearl Harbor)

I mean why do people think that the movies of games suck? Tomb Raider was a good film.

P.S does any1 know when Blackhawk down comes out on DVD in the UK?<span id='postcolor'>

Man do you have the idea of how much the movie will cost if you have alot of famous actors in it?!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MJR. Gastovski @ June 09 2002,12:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tom Cruise =Gastovski (after MI2 who else?)<span id='postcolor'>

eh...no thanx.....that little 40yr old pretty boy doesn't have that Gastovski attitude.

I think it could make a good movie. Get Stanley Kubrick to direct, of course. He could change things around, make it more cerebral. Plus there would be a lot of cool action seeing soldier shoot things up, Armostrong getting captured, helping the resistance. And who better to be the resistance leader than Jean Reno? (Godzilla, Mission Impossible, The Proffessional) And I think as the blackops guy Harrison Ford would be great.

It could be my new favorite war movie. (Currently Full Metal Jacket)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MJR. Gastovski @ June 09 2002,04:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Eeeerrr a cartoon series for OFP? bit violent don't you think?<span id='postcolor'>

Naah, it would be like GI Joe smile.gif where they can stand on a cliff 1 mile away and shoot off the handcuffs on a comrad that is being held prisoner, and then not able to hit a single Cobra guy 20ft away in a firefight smile.gif OFP is already halfway there. The AI sucks at CQB, but can nail me across the map and vehicle crews always servive their tank getting blown up and they bail out smile.gif Man the more I think about it OFP is GI Joe smile.gif

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ June 09 2002,20:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Get Stanley Kubrick to direct, of course.<span id='postcolor'>

from heaven? tounge.gif

am i the one who thinks that this guy is long dead?

Don't bore us with your 'technicalities' tounge.gif

COLINMAN

A quaility G.I. Joe mod would be supreme...and so easy. GI Joe even had AH-1 helos, and cobra had a modified VTOL A10...half of the stuff just needs to be tweaked a bit, with some decals added biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ June 09 2002,20:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it could make a good movie.  Get Stanley Kubrick to direct, of course.  He could change things around, make it more cerebral.<span id='postcolor'>

Kubrick died on March 7, 1999, while directing the wonderful movie "Eyes wide shut". It was his last film while he was still alive, anyway. I have seen it and I like it, but as some people say, it is not mainstream.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sgtvor @ June 09 2002,17:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A quaility G.I. Joe mod would be supreme...and so easy.  GI Joe even had AH-1 helos, and cobra had a modified VTOL A10...half of the stuff just needs to be tweaked a bit, with some decals added  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I know there is one in progress for GR.

COLINMAN

Actually, the idea of a cartoon series isnt bad. Starship Troopers was a TERRIBLE movie (if you've ever read the book you'll know what I mean) but the cartoon series 'Roughnecks' is actually pretty darn good.

I love Avon's idea of tying the cartoon in with downloadable missions. How cool would it be to play through a mission and then watch the episode to see how it was played out by a writer? biggrin.gif