Sign in to follow this  
HazelnutSpread

Are Pedals important?

Hi! I've been having alot of fun with TOH, My joystick works great and is alot of fun, as of now I am twisting the joystick for yaw. Sometimes when I get too into it, and I'm moving the joystick around alot it is hard to keep it twisted in the right position with accuracy. Recently I have been thinking more and more about pedals, they seem like a way to increase realism and help with the accuracy, what do you guys think? Is it worth the money to get pedals? and those with pedals, how do you like them compared to just using a joystick?

Definitely pedals increase realism. Also I think pedals increase accuracy but I don't own such device so can't judge anything in this topic. Right now I'm using my second throttle axis for yaw. My joystick (AV8R-01) has got twist stick but using it tires my hand after a while.

It all depends on how much money you have for your hobby. If I could afford pedals I would buy some.

If it's purely a control accuracy issue, I think you can probably refine the settings of your twist axis and probably define a better trim control. I used to fly around in il2 with just a hotas with a twist axis and never missed physical pedals even though I have flow fixed wing aircraft on a number of occasions. I would wait for the patch number 3 to make a binding judgment unless you're itching for the pedals.

The good thing about pedals is that you are not affecting the cyclic when you are trying to adjust for torque. This is especially important when you are attempting to turn in a hover. Although not essential, they certainly help. Like anything though, you still have to learn to use them - I am still too heavy on mine.

One thing I don't like about the most pedal on the market is that they are all design for fix wing, and don't really work great for helicopter sim, while most of the out of stock helicopter control set are very pricey, something around $1000 min. , so it is always a good idea to DIY yourself, if you have the space and tools to do so(which I sadly do not have:( )

Recently I have been thinking more and more about pedals, they seem like a way to increase realism and help with the accuracy, what do you guys think? Is it worth the money to get pedals? and those with pedals, how do you like them compared to just using a joystick?

I love them! It increases the realism and also demands more from you because you have to work with you feet as well. It's different compared to only using your both hands (for throttle + joystick/twist). When I first got my pedals it was almost learning it all over again. I never knew how much I was actually "automatically" twisting the stick when flying in heli sims. I never knew that until I got the pedals and had to work with my feet. I also have a lot more accuracy with pedals, because sometimes it's hard to not move the joystick while twisting, even if it is just a very little movement.

I really like them :)