Sign in to follow this  
UrbanMonkey

Mogadishu city screens

Here is the mogadishu city that I was making that might be used in Mile's BlackHawk Down 2.0 mission.  It works pretty good alone, and also pretty good, but not as good, with 60-80 AI, which will probably be the amount used in the mission.  Go to these links to see them.

Screen 1

Screen 2

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I dont wanna be evil but to me it looks like a huge amount of OpF-default houses in a big desert...sorry...just my few cents on this one...

i dont think its too bad at the moment, but heres what i'd do. Put some houses closer together in some areas to make more of a city block type formation. And expand the terrain a little more. Surround a road with a canyon, put some mountains and foot hills out in the distance, not too far away, but far enough. It cant just be flat like that.

Guest Titanium

Yes, houses closer together would be nice. To give it an urban feel, you know. And on a side note... Would you mine adding a red light district? hehehe. Who could disagree with me on that... huh?

you should see my city well city block its good thoe it has sky scrapers i sent it in to ofp.cz but they havent put it up yet in there editors extras sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ June 05 2002,23:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Surround a road with a canyon, put some mountains and foot hills out in the distance, not too far away, but far enough. It cant just be flat like that.<span id='postcolor'>

It's gotta be flat like that....its Mogadishu!

Try it with WRPEdit once it´s out and some new buildings are available as addons, currently it doesn´t look very Mogadishu, there are streets missing, vegetation, buildings too dispersed etc.

Mogadishu isn´t just some huts strewn on the desert,

go here for the city layout and try to realize it within WRPEdit:

http://www.swan.ac.uk/cds/rd/compositemap.htm

Get yourself a Digital Elevation Model of the area and make a new map out of it, position houses, streets, vegetation etc.

If possible, house roof tops should be accessible.

Yes, it was in fact a rushed project, so I couldn't make it exactly like the real city.  I know its not just a bunch of huts, some parts of the city are urban-like.  But remember mogadishu isnt all nice blocks and such.  If I could make a map of the area with wrpedit that would be great, I would make it MUCH more realistic to look like the real city.  I have satellite images of the city, and pictures from the city, so I can get an idea of how it looks.  But since I only used the mission editor, its all I could do smile.gif.  I'll check out that wrp edit and get to you guys in a couple of weeks biggrin.gif  I wanna also put in the K4 traffic circle and the airport.  But due to my limitations this is all I could do for now...I at least put in trees, other people would have prolly left them out!   But also remember that 1987 map is old and outdated.  The civil war of the early 1990's wrecked a good part of the city, including the university. I was limited by the size of flat space in the area where I built the city, and ALSO the limit of units I can have. I can't have an unlimited amount of units, and also it would probably lag more. Its a work in progress!

Looking not bad dude, needs alot of work but hell everyone starts somewhere right? Id say add some roads dirt ones, have the building closer and in blocks, mabey add some stiff like burnt jeeps and barrels , stuff that will add to gameplay and give you cover, Also most of the building are 1 story dog patch style houses tin roofs cinder blocks ETC... with a few 2 story builings also i the books it talks about court yards , it seems most buildings had them, tyr to replicate that with fences and stuff, it would make some sweet angles and would add to the confusion . Good work so far !

Just make sure you put in the important stuff like the k-4 traffic loop, national street, the olympic hotel, and all that stuff.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ June 06 2002,02:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What happen to that helicopter in picture 2? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yea i noticed that too.

Nice work. Is it laggy at all? Cause to me that looks like it could be laggy. Im not saying it is, but to me it does.

Heres my suggestions:

1. Use how ever many buildings you need.

2. Keep sceneary to a minium if possible.

Hope that helps, cause i have a friend that makes totally laggy missions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ June 06 2002,04:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ June 06 2002,02:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What happen to that helicopter in picture 2? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yea i noticed that too.

Nice work. Is it laggy at all? Cause to me that looks like it could be laggy. Im not saying it is, but to me it does.

Heres my suggestions:

1. Use how ever many buildings you need.

2. Keep sceneary to a minium if possible.

Hope that helps, cause i have a friend that makes totally laggy missions.<span id='postcolor'>

Right now I'm looking for a SP respawn script for that map so I can use the same Somali units over and over again in order to reduce lag. But I've been very busy lately with real life matters and haven't had the time to research the scripts to see if anything works. I found one, but when the AI dies they respawn dead. No good. sad.gif

If anyone knows how to do this in a single player game please let me know. Thanks,

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Remember, this is just a "beta" version, and I will fix it to make it actually look like a city. I was just messing around on this one to see what I could do with my limitations. I put 55 west AI (my side), and around 20 east AI in the map and it worked almost perfect, just some minor lag, nothing like miles' first BHD mission smile.gif. I'll try to put in the K4 circle, national, and olympic hotel, if I can get the right stuff...There are so many limitations so I can't make it perfect, or anywhere near scale size. This city is big enough for one mission. Just give me time, and I'll make it look more like a real city.

I've made an urban training grounds of a sort , using mostly destroyed buildings. The ones with the open doors and large holes in them. Like the ones at the bottom of the mountain on kogoulchev. If they were a sand or dry clay color it might work for your needs.

I know nothing about texturing...

Miles, I can help try to find one, I'll keep ya posted.

...I admit this was a horrible city to start, I'll rework everything just give me time!!  Come back and bother me at the end of June!!  The next city will have organized blocks, a k4 traffic circle, a national road, a hawlwadig road, and hopefully an olympic hotel.  Not to mention the courtyards and roads I plan in putting in.  Also I put lots of jeep wrecks in the city and trees if ya noticed smile.gif  I promise you the next city I make I will take my time and it will be like no other smile.gif.  In fact it might take longer than a month to complete if I take my time smile.gif  If I use courtyards everything is gonna have to fit perfectly so its gonna be a LONG time most likely.

EDIT: WHERE CAN I GET THE COURTYARD LIKE WALLS ? smile.gif

Miles i just emailed you a little example mission on how to be able to respawn Ai in single player, its not scripted, its very simple and it works! it uses triggers, the only bad thing is that when the unit respawns its body dissapears from the battle field but with all that will be goin on i dont think it will matter, this way you can make 20 enemy units that will respawn forever so that you have a constant flow of enemy units. the mission is not pbo'ed so that you can place it in your user/missions folder and access it via the editor, its set in the desert island, let me know if it works for you

its on its way, and its not a script, its by triggers, let me know if it helps

moga2.gif

id suggest using the OFPinternal map, the one with the rolling hills, big cliff and such. I am suggesting that because the location, its almost perfect, there is flat land near the south-west coast, you can make that the airfield, then up north is flat land in which you can place the city. as you see, it is almost identicle(the lay out) except it is flipped, instead of the coast being on the eastern side, its on the western.