Sign in to follow this  
ryfle

Shaders?

I've been wondering if implementing or modifying existing shaders is possible. I'd really like to tweak out some of the "default" shaders and potentially add some new ones. For instance, I'd love to change the spotlight shader that is run for things like gun lights, flashlights, vehicle headlights, etc. The thing I don't like about it is that it provides "hard light"... it projects a cone of light value which properly fades/spreads over distance but has hard edges, whereas a real light shining in the dark has falloff towards the edges of the cone. Hopefully you catch my drift...

So is this at all feasible, or has it been done/attempted before? Well... of course it's possible, so maybe I should ask if it's possible without RE'ing the game and breaking the rules. And what sort of reception might such a thing have? My above idea seems totally benevolent, but there is a risk of shader modding being used for evil (e.g., rendering transparent bushes/walls or rendering enemies as glowing red objects easy to pick off).

Edited by ryfle

We need Render to texture shader for 3d Scopes!

ahhh.....do you actually know what a shader is?

___

@OP: AFAIK, one cannot add aditional shaders (as in type of shaders) but work/tweak with existing A1 or A2 (supershader) ones...

EDIT: just to clarify my post, the above refers ONLY about shaders used by the game. The link TD provided is good start for anything related to writing external shaders.

Edited by PuFu

Don't be so hard on him, PuFu. :) I'm not sure what he means by that, but shaders are how everything gets on the screen nowadays, since FFP (Fixed Function Pipeline) has become obsolete.

Thanks for the info thus far, and if anyone knows more I'm eager to here it. And thanks, T_D for that link. I made a post to try to get in touch with oktane and bring the discussion of it up again.

Regards,

I would love to see the distortion effect from the water shader somehow applied to 3d objects and particles. Would be useful for some cool effects. Or a simple shader that would just take a screenshot, could be used for flashbang effects.

I would love to see the distortion effect from the water shader somehow applied to 3d objects and particles. Would be useful for some cool effects. Or a simple shader that would just take a screenshot, could be used for flashbang effects.

Distortion shaders applied to particles would be great.