Sign in to follow this  
GodsFist

Wich tutorial

I want to make my own terrain for ARMAII.

Wich tutorial can i use the best for a first timer

(there are so many tuts :colgate:).

Also i want to make a terrain for The Unsung mod.

can i make this also with that tutorial????

THANKS !!!!

I thought that was an old tutorial, and the tools were out off date.

Oke thanks

Im a newbie in map making myself so maybe I miss some stuff. But as far as I know, there is no complete guide that is up to date. You have to get your infos together from different tutorials and from this forum. Its a real pain.

However the link above from MemphisBelle seems the best start to me. After this tutorial you will still have a lot of questions, but you know how to set up visitor and bulldozer and you know the basic elements which are needed for map making. After this, you understand the big picture.

Also check this for a tutorial overview: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=94222

And check bushlurkers beginners guide (most up to date tutorial i think): http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=124623

If you´re a really beginner in mapmaping so you´ll have enough things in concern to care about. Follow this tutorial I provided above and try to reach a level where you can easily create an island withouit any trouble, I am talking of the 3D Island and its textures..not speaking of placing Objects on it. This should be the next step.

But be careful...mapmaping can turn into an addiction...;)

Im a newbie in map making myself so maybe I miss some stuff. But as far as I know, there is no complete guide that is up to date. You have to get your infos together from different tutorials and from this forum. Its a real pain.

However the link above from MemphisBelle seems the best start to me. After this tutorial you will still have a lot of questions, but you know how to set up visitor and bulldozer and you know the basic elements which are needed for map making. After this, you understand the big picture.

Also check this for a tutorial overview: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=94222

And check bushlurkers beginners guide (most up to date tutorial i think): http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=124623

That is also my problem (there is no complete guide that is up to date)

but now I know there are now TUT's that are upToDate. So i first learn they above tut

Thanks guys

Bushlurkers Tutorial is really good to start with.

Bushlurkers Tutorial is really good to start with.

:D nice of you to say so Fogu!

@ GodsFist...

You're right - there is no complete, all-in-one start-to-finish guide to terrain-making available... yet, anyway..

However, it's crucially important to get the basics sorted out before you launch into a big project anyway...

Sgt Ace's Tutorial - as recommended by MemphisBelle and a few others definitely IS the tutorial to follow... I, and a few others around here who pretend we know what we're doing nowadays all started out with that tutorial... It works 100%, it's 100% Arma 2-based (unlike a few others you might come across)... an ideal starting point...

However...

Before you even start the tutorial proper, it has basic setup instructions for setting up your tools and development "P:\" drive...

In the old days when this tutorial was written that was a long and complicated process which involved unpacking your entire game one .pbo at a time and assembling it on your P:\ drive in a set order...

Nowadays, we have a Mikero Tool for that, which will do the whole setup while you go make a coffee! Much better!

My Beginners Guide doesn't attempt to replace Sgt Aces one - instead it starts by explaining the new faster tools setup procedure - then it sends you off to do Sgt Ace's tutorial, starting at the point just after the out-of-date tools setup section - from there on you're supposed to follow Sgt Ace's tutorial - then come back to mine for the next section...

Since Sgt Ace just hands you a bunch of files, shows you how to assemble a basic terrain with them, and then just stops at that point, the rest of my beginners guide sort of carries on from where Sgt Ace leaves off...

It gives you a more complex readymade terrain to play with, then talks you thru the actual files one-by-one - while explaining how to restructure the whole thing into your "own" project...

By the time you've done all that, you should be in a solid position to start considering your own project...

(and when you get to that point I've also posted a whole bunch of ready-made heightmaps, none of which have ever been used on a terrain before, so they're all basically potential new projects)...

good luck!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I followed Bush's Geotypical Microterrains - A Beginners Guide and Sgt Ace's tutorial and I'm standing right now on my own terrain

:dancehead::dancehead:

Thanks guys