Sign in to follow this  
Tacklebait

Skid awareness

I have one hell of a time gauging where my skids are while landing. Especially with the massive dash of the 212.

Any tips or pointers? (without trackir)

As well, how does does trackir help the situation? Do you get a good feel of Ur helis position? Examples...

hmmm there's no real way to teach you this, but just like parking a car, you know where the wheels are on your car so you just have to imagine where you need to drive to put your wheels on a certain spot on the road. basically you have to have a mental picture of the helicopter outside of the cockpit.

I have one hell of a time gauging where my skids are while landing. Especially with the massive dash of the 212.

Any tips or pointers? (without trackir)

As well, how does does trackir help the situation? Do you get a good feel of Ur helis position? Examples...

With some simple scripts, it's possible to set up a camera source below the helicopter, then you can use PiP to get an actual picture of where the skids are to the ground.

On the light helicopter, with PiP enabled, you can see a small mirror which does the same.

We plan to use the same for helping out with things like sling load positioning, but, as the above post mentions, eventually getting a mental picture of your helicopter, and knowing where you are instinctively, is the way to take on helicopters :cool:

Best,

RiE