Sign in to follow this  
BKLronin

General Flight Model

I am not absolutely sure that the Gold Times are achievable/realistic on Expert with kb/mouse. Has anyone at BIS actually done that? If so, MAN, they are good. I've beaten bronze times for all trials on Expert!

The manual that comes with the beta and describes basic heli operation using the keys is great. It is interesting to note that collective (analog) +/- are not bound by default, and the manual describes using Q/Z for collective. That is fine, but I long ago gave up Q/Z for the analog controls, which work great (I bind collective + to left shift, and collective - to left Windows key; Q/Z can still be used, but I haven't used them yet with this beta).

I just shaved more than 20 seconds off Bridge Too Far time trial on expert, almost beating Silver time; that will come soon. BIS has given us the tools for very high-speed level flight; we just have to find them.

A secret for high-speed flight lies somewhere in the quote above, at least for kb/mouse.

Vortex ring state seems to be missing ? :confused: I am descending vertically as fast as I can and I am unable to get into that state..

I only have flown on Expert using kb/mouse, and ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE when collective (analog) is raised. The light heli pitches and yaws all over the place, and is an absolute bear to get under control. So, gaining altitude along a smooth path is very difficult indeed; raising collective while trying to keep the nose up and maintaining adequate speed is damn near impossible. I dread in the 06 PMC support challenge when the obnoxious PMC leader yells, "Crest that hill!" Brutally hard; I have only made it by largely circling the hill instead of going over it. But the training session dedicated to altitude changes is awesome - and very much needed. An awesome flight model to master; quite difficult indeed, but FUN!

I had only been using collective (analog) +/- controls, which instantly (but only temporarily) increase/decrease collective to max/min. Once you are used to this, you know which other keys (left roll for medium heli, left pedal for light) to press at the same time collective is increased to maintain straight, level flight as much as possible.

However, using Q/Z collective controls in certain situations is a VERY GOOD IDEA to gradually change collective. Gradual collective changes don't make the heli react so intensely, and "locking" the collective on a value about 70% (small line on collective gauge) is really needed to maintain max speed during level flight.

I find it a little too responsive on take-off. I would expect some lag in the system from applying collective, the governors adjusting for the increased load, to the hydraulics changing the blade pitch to provide lift....

Is it me of does it feel like you suddenly switch from an air model to a ground model as you approach the ground. It does not feel like a blended transition.

Thanks... :)