Sign in to follow this  
BiggerBoat

Terrain Detail

Comon' who want to download a 3 Tera game or get 40 DVD's for it :confused:, that's what it will take to have a better ground texture, and the cray computer to open the sat map... :o

fsim in photo realistic sceneries does not look better, the limitation is the size it will take (textures).

What makes it look nicer and better than other flight sim is the details and the number of objects, one thing its lacking for me it is real roads, and flatten ones,

add a moving train onto the rails, and an ambient pedestrian module too, and I'll go :yay: !

now if you add power lines heli best friend and street lights, I'll eat the banana :don 13:

and don't forget it is only a :whip: in progress

Perhaps the next technological step - instead of creating even more gigantic ground textures - would be to store an additional layer of sharper ground map detail in a vector graphics format, which is layered over the blurry world texture whenever you get close enough to the ground (multitexturing). I guess this would mean that the engine would have to transform chunks of vector data into a standard texture on the fly before sending them to the GPU, so it would come with some performance overhead.

On the plus side, vector graphics data is generally much, much smaller than pixel raster data, so storage shouldn't be much of a problem.