Sign in to follow this  
Engineer

Ultimate upgrade 1.46

I've downloaded and installed everything up to Ultimate Upgrade3. But when I try to unzip the rest rest of the patches, i.e. 1_42, I get an error for the OFP Patch.exe:

Dll: C:\WINZIP2\WZ32.DLL - 10/17/98 7wow.gif0 AM

Extracting to "c:\windows\TEMP\"

Use Path: no Overlay Files: yes

Extracting OFPPatch_1_42.exe

Error: invalid compressed data to inflate

The rest of the documentation unzips just fine.

1. Have you tried downloading the file from another location (i.e. a mirror)?

2. Have you tried opening the file using a current version of WinZip?

Yes to the first question.  No to the second. But I will now.

Ok, I installed winzip 8.1 and I'm getting the same error message.

Error: invalid compressed data to inflate

Do you have a system with a VIA 686B Southbridge? It is known to cause data corruption under some circumstances, and it has prevented people from applying patches in the past.

Don't know what VIA 686B Southbridge is. How do I find out?

Also, just to reiterate, the problem isn't in applying the patch. It's unzipping of the executable file only. The rest of the files in the pack unzip just fine.

Im haveing the same problem i have tried unzipping the file on both of my PCs and neither of them work, please help someone =).

The VIA 686B Soutbridge chip is commonly found in systems with AMD processors. It handles the I/O functionality of the motherboard, including disk I/O.

There is a well-known data-corruption problem with this very common chip, and it could well be the reason for getting bad CRC errors while applying the patch, or for problems unZIPing the file in the first place.

Have a look at THIS entry in AvonLady's Unofficial OFP FAQ.

Is the problem with AMD processors only? I'm running a P III. on both of my machines.

The problem isn't with the AMD processor itself, but a third-party chipset that is used to support it. The VIA 686A/B have been used with non-AMD systems as well, but not nearly as much.

I'm not sure about the V1.42 version referenced above, since that is a SP demo, but I downloaded the V1.46 patch just now, and verified that it did unZIP correctly using WinZIP V8.1.

Also, if you have a download manager like GoZilla!, GetRight, or Rocket Download, I would try disabling it before you start the download.

G'day Engineer

From another Engineer  smile.gif

it's not so much your p.c. or spec's its the patch you d-loaded  ...it's corrupted ...if winzip fails to extract the zip it's usually because of packets of data lost due to transmission time of the file downloaded ...i.e. whereabouts you tried to get the file from / how long it takes ect ect , this is assuming your using a 56k modem connection ( dunno about cable or asdl stuff )......basically try d-loading the upgrade patch again ( or better still goto www.com and find OFP 1.46 patch & crack for NO cd  biggrin.gif ) beats the crap outta having to have the damn disc in the tray and despite what some may say FADE will definately not kick in ... because all the crack does is make the exe read from the hard drive ( which is where the bugger is anyhow ) instead of all that pissing about checking for cd's in trays ......anyway mate hope this is of some help to you ....p.s. you WILL still need the cd key code after you update to 1.46 but only once ...after it's got the version of the patch ....NO MORE looking for the damn disc :-) ......Cheers

Gaz 13 Fld Sqn R.A.E. perth W.A.

Mister Frag, I've had the same problem. It only occurs when downloading off flashpoint1985.com. (some files dowload correctly, while other files download incorrectly). I always have to download the patches from other sites.

To Combat Engineer's, thanks for the info. It worked and life is good again.

Essayons

(forgive me if I've misspelled it)

Combat Engineer's - posting links to cracks or links to sites that host cracks contravenes this forums rules, any repeat will result in your account being deleted.