Sign in to follow this  
VoodooMTL

Relation between hidden selections and setobjecttexture

Ok, so I'm attempting to repaint the OA Landrover using only hidden selection textures. The "camo1" selection takes care of most of the body and wheels, and "zbytek" covers the side window frames, the wipers and some other interior parts. However, the roof, grill, spare wheel and other details still won't budge - I believe they're part of the "lr_proxy" and "lr_damagehide_proxy" files, but there doesn't seem to be hidden selections for those.

I looked all over the p3d files for possible names for hidden selections, to no avail. Now, I tried the "setobjecttexture" method from the game editor, and with "this setobjecttexture [1, ""] changed the parts that needed to be changed (the remaining details, and the parts included in "zbytek").

However, I want to set the new textures from the config file and not from the game editor each time I want to add one of those units. Is there a way to do it that way? What is the relationship, if any, between hidden selections in configs and those "0, 1, 2..." numbers used with the setobjecttextures tag in the editor?

Thanks for any help - I'm completely stumped on this one.

The numbers represent the position in the array of the selection. For example if you have this in the config:

hiddenSelections[] = {"body", "trim", "tires"};

Then you have array values from 0 through 2. So to set a new texture on the body, you would setObjectTexture [0, "..."]; for the tires, [2,"..."] etc. Setting default textures for this example in the config would involve a line following that one such as this:

hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"body.paa", "trim.paa", "tires.paa"};

Ok, I see what you mean and just experimented with it myself.

I've encountered a new problem though. My previous observations weren't quite right; it would seem that all parts that are included in proxies will not get repainted correctly, no matter what (in this case, lr_proxy.p3d and lr_damagehide_proxy.p3d).

Right now, my hidden selection array looks like this:

hiddenSelections[] = {"zbytek", "camo1"};

and my textures array like this:

hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"green.paa", "red.paa"};

If, in the editor, I write this:

this setobjecttexture [0, ""]

Then all parts which are not part of camo1, including the ones in proxies, become invisible.

textureempty.jpg

If, however, I write this:

this setobjecttexture [0, "\mypbo\data\green.paa"]

Then few parts which are not part of the proxies become green, but the one which are part of the proxies keep the original BIS texture.

textureset.jpg

BTW, this is also the result I obtain if I don't add any line of code to the object and just let it run by the hidden selection texture specs I added in the config.

So I guess, as it turns out, that my problem has more to do with using hidden selections (or any other method) to repaint parts that are included in proxies. Any ideas?

Edited by Voodoo Operator

You may want to have a look at my Nogovan LandRovers they are rextured OA LandRovers using hiddenSelectionsTextures

Ha! That's precisely where I started with my experiment. I used yours as a base since they already had the hidden selections code.

But you've only repainted the "camo1" selection, which is the basic one.

What I'm trying to do is repaint the parts not covered by "camo1", and this is where I stumbled upon "zbytek", which seems to include the proxies when it is not textured, but does not include them when it is textured.

So, anyone can think of a way to use hidden selections on proxy parts?

Edited by Voodoo Operator

So... I guess it can't be done?

I really thought I was on to something with the disappearing part.