Sign in to follow this  
foffy

Question about addons/mods

Hey there. I figured now's a good time as any to really bunk down and try the ArmA games (I played the Operation Flashpoint games in reverse order, so this entry is the third, even if it's ArmA 0 I guess), but I have some questions. Now, I've been playing the Resistance campaign and I've gotten frustrated again and again at the game. It's not so much that I die within reason, but many, many of my deaths are at the hands of superhuman soldiers. Especially tanks. I have been stuck on the Field Exercise mission for hours, simply because my team is absolutely inept at taking at the sniper tank duo that's on the outskirts of the city. I've done a little 'test' to assume if it's just me being bad, but on at least two occasions I've looked in the direction of where they come from and they're able to shoot at me before they can get in my view at all. I think that's incredibly cheap, as they're not even surrounded by some form of cover to justify it.

So, what I'm asking here is this; are there any mods to balance the AI, so that I'm not up against tank units that have 100% accuracy? Or better yet, what mods are there to enhance the immersion and depth of the game? Be it visual, audio, re-balancing accurateness, what have you.

EDIT: Oh! I've also learned that apparently the game was remade in the first ArmA. Did that project ever get completed? And if so, are the three campaigns from the GotY edition of Operation Flashpoint included? I assume the games would be more manageable on a updated game.

Edited by Foffy

I've managed to complete CWC, Red Hammer and RES campaigns aprroximately a month ago and I wasn't touched by a AI problem you've mentioned here. I suggest you to check configuration setting (who knows, something may not be right). Try to adjust a proper visibility parameter, difficulty settings are also very important (look if Super AI is on, then turn it off). Never had any troubles with Field Exercise mission, to me it's quite simple - driver your armor on a mountain and bombard Modrava with Heat or Sabot shells. Make sure you have any tanks at your disposal at all, because if you haven't saved any in the previous missions, you shouldn't have any chance to win.

About mods and their enhancements: there's lots of them, you could google for a specific one or just check ofp.info/ofp.gamepark.cz, operationflashpoint.filefront.com websites (google for those names). You will find enough useful stuff over there. Personally, I would recommend Enhancement Configuration Project mod (ECP). It doesn't make any dramatic changes in gameplay, keep it at it's best, but all improvements were being made on AI tactics, reaction to different conditions, also pretty effects of lightning, flames and shooting were added. The mod itself weights only ~150 MB. Second advice, if you think ECP isn't for you, could be Finnish Defence Forces (FDF): addiotional units, islands, quality of interface, gameplay corrections, improvements, etc. Third suggestion - WW4 mod: it's very well optimized, animations are cool, huge battles doesn't cause lag even on low-end systems. Highly enjoyable. I can look into one problem of it - no one plays WW4 online. A bit of a shame.

When you fire a tank AI is able to see you beyond the view distance(your "radar" will also see enemies who fire beyond your view distance) find a way to approach them while in cover.

STGN

Alright, I guess I'll try these tactics.

Have either of you tried the Cold War Rearmed addon for ArmA? Does that play the campaigns any better, AI wise?

Negative, Foffy, have a look at changelog of 1.99, compared to previous version:

- Improved: Default gamma and brightness settings

- Fixed: Two cursors appeared in some configurations

- Fixed: Login hack prevention.

- Improved: cheat / spam protection.

- Changed: "missionName" function now returns user friendly name

- Fixed: Preprocessor bugs and crashes

- Changed: createMarker function now works only local

- Added: isServer function

- Fixed: missionStart function on dedicated server

- Added: disableAI option for disable automatic animation selection

- Added: User defined maps in missions

- Added: function: array find item

- Added: function getWorld

- Added: functions getPosASL, setPosASL

- Added: Event handler AnimChanged

- Added: function getMove

As you see, it doesn't contain any minor AI improvements. So, actually, there isn't any big difference between 1.96 and 1.99 in campaign. If you're looking for a multiplayer co-op or PvP match, use 1.96, because no one plays newest ver. online.

By the way, it would be great to have a co-op with someone who can work in team and know how to play tactically, also have fun.