Sign in to follow this  
RUBIX

Flight Dynamics Feedback From Real Helicopter Pilots

we know that Zipper5 and thanks for it, on the other hand it'll be nice to be eared too.. annoying roll, too strong ground effect, rpm inversion, too small torque effect ... solving those will improve Toh a lot! for a start as I am sure we want more ;)

Edited by ocramweb

We are always watching.

Fair enough. I'll briefly hijack this thread again and just ask if you can acknowledge that the ToH team understands there are some differences between real world helicopter dynamics and those in the game? I'm 100% confident the game is going to be a lot of fun to play, but is the current FM pretty close to what we're going to see in the final product or is there still tweaking to be done?

Fair enough. I'll briefly hijack this thread again and just ask if you can acknowledge that the ToH team understands there are some differences between real world helicopter dynamics and those in the game? I'm 100% confident the game is going to be a lot of fun to play, but is the current FM pretty close to what we're going to see in the final product or is there still tweaking to be done?

If I may...

Previous questions of this nature have gone unanswered by BIS developers. They have kept things pretty tight as to what they are, and are not doing, but I have been assured that, yes, they are watching, and that they have been paying very strong attention to input from the real world pilots.

Whether or not any of that input is going to show positively in the game is yet to be seen.

In other words, we're just going to have to wait.

*Ding* *Lightbulb*

I just read through KosPilot's post in the Autorotation's thread, and have finally realized why there is a roll associated with collective in forward flight:

Inflow roll is created when the rotordisc is moving into relative wind. The fore sector of the rotordisc will move into "clean" air, but as the rotordisc move through, the air will be accelerated downwards through the rotordisc at an increased velocity as approaching and passing the aft sector.

This causes less lift to be produced by the aft section compared to the fore section. Due to gyroscopic precession, the rotordisc will now tilt towards the advancing blade and cause a roll to the right. -Correct with left cyclic (if accelerating forwards). The inflow roll is most noticeable when going through ETL.

Now with collective changes, the amount of downwash will also change, effecting the amount of Transverse Flow Effect experienced. This will create the tendency for more right roll when adding collective and less right roll when lowering collective: *ding*

However...this effect is much exaggerated in the current flight model, and should be reduced significantly. Another however...This should really be present through ETL and speed just above ETL (most notable between 10kts and 20kts...not at moderate to fast flight.

Any other thoughts?

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

I have found a good discussion thread about the different effects on the helicopter rotor system in different aspects of flights.

Graviman's post at

10th Nov 2007, 08:24

explains a lot of different effects.

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-299441.html

Edited by RUBIX

There is no perceptible roll associated with collective input.

Changes in forward airspeed, particularly during the transition from hover to forward flight are the only way you will experience Inflow Roll (or transverse flow depending on the textbook you've read).

If the effect is noticeable other than passing through ETL, it's modelled excessively.

- Bear

4 in 1, I find your remark to be typical of the "static" I mentioned in my earlier post about pilots doing our best to "keep it real" on this forum (pun intended). At no point do I feel my expectations or suggestions have been unrealistic within the confines of a fun and playable game, nor have I at any point expected "perfection". I think the vast majority of us know that this game will have it's limitations, but we are all hoping for some basics. Decent flight physics, combined with some missions to use them with. One without the other is OK. We already have several examples of that. BOTH would be phenominal.

My post are not really directed to you (or anyone here trying to fix it before its too late). My point is that there really are people(and trust me, there is lots of them) who indeed will get really piss if they find that a flight sim have errors of any sort in it, some of them are not forum posting people(I know one, who I cannot be bother to reply to his ranting during lunch), and some of them will just walk away(which is a good thing I think:confused:)

If I may...

Previous questions of this nature have gone unanswered by BIS developers. They have kept things pretty tight as to what they are, and are not doing, but I have been assured that, yes, they are watching, and that they have been paying very strong attention to input from the real world pilots.

Whether or not any of that input is going to show positively in the game is yet to be seen.

In other words, we're just going to have to wait.

Maybe they are just trying to pinpoint the problem and do not want any fails assumption or impression about that, so they keep their silents?

Edited by 4 IN 1

So her we go guys, Beta as been tried by most of you I am sure, what's your first feelings compare to cpreview ?

So her we go guys, Beta as been tried by most of you I am sure, what's your first feelings compare to cpreview ?

Apart from missing flying around on user made Map addons like Capria and Mana and missing using a BAF pilot, I am loving it so far.

Seattle is huge, cant wait for the full version with the whole map populated with buildings and fauna.

My only complaint would be that the Medium heli makes a whining noise in third view that can become painful on the ears after a while. Probably a realistic sound effect though, god knows what a Gazzelle would sound like in third.